safe to leave striker fired pistol loaded foe extended time?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgang

Bearcat
Just received a striker fired 9mm pistol from my family for Christmas. Up to now I have carried a 3" .357 revolver and just placed it in a safe place when at home. Can I do the same with the striker fired pistol, meaning keeping a round in the chamber and cocked for extended periods of time. Not knowing, it would seem that it would similar to keeping a crossbow cocked for weeks or even a month and it would be hard on and weaken whatever springs and mechanisms involved. Thanks for the input and a merry Christmas to all of you. Dgang

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
The information I have read indicates that it is cycling a spring that weakens it more than leaving it compressed. So leave it loaded and store it safely if you like.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It'll be fine. Mine (Ruger 9e) has been in condition 0 for several years, except when I shoot it occasionally. Never had a problem.

I've always heard the same about magazine springs and so I would presume it is the same for any spring.
Think about it this way:
Before striker fired there were all these other semi- auto pistols... Single action only and single / double action... all them including the striker fired have a recoil spring that is under partial tension regardless of whether there is a round in the chamber or not.

s4s4u

Hunter
Springs weaken from use. Do I empty my magazines every night? Do I jack up the body of my pickup truck when I park it? Nope!

1911 cocked and locked. LC9s one in the pipe except when cleaning.

mac66

Single-Sixer
For long term storage I think it's better to drop the hammer/striker. For an EDC pistol I don't think it matters much.