Ruger's Security-9: A Basic General Purpose Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dweis

Blackhawk
I owned a Security 9 Compact for for 4 years, and it eas my EDC. It provided the option of a 10 or 15 round magazine. I used the 15 round magazine except when deep concealment was requires in which case I used the flat baseplate on the 10 round magazine. It quickly became my favorite pistol of all time. It proved to be exceptionally reliable. My log shows I fired 1240 rounds at the range over the first 2 years I owned it.. I had one failure, which was my error by limp-writing. My range ammo was 124 gr American Eagle FMJ. The firing mechanism was amazing. It is essentially a DA pistol but if shoots like a striker fired. Ruger designed the mechanism so that recoil half cocks the trigger. That eases the trigger pull force needed to fire the gun. I loved the gun, but I do not have it anymore.

I have advancing arthritis in my hands. Racking the gun became harder ove the years, and light as it is the recoils was affecting my shooting accuracy when firing quickly repetitive rounds. So went to 380. Fortunately Ruger made the Security 380 in time fore my switch. It is basically a re-chambered Sec 9 Compact with a few design changes but the exact size of the 9mm Compact. All my holsters work with the 380, and it has that trigger I cam to love. I would recommend any Ruger Security series pistol to anyone who wants a fantastic gun at a very reasonable price.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I was intrigued by your thread . I have arthritis in my hands and have come to carry only 380; so any info on guns available in that caliber stirs my interest.
Thank you for posting it. I feel what the 380 lacks in power it gains in accuracy. I go to the range often and keep my skills in top form.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I too had to give up my security 9 in favor of the security 380, however I found the S&W Equalizer (9mm) has a slide that is slightly easier to rack than the Ruger 380. So now I have both. Great guns both of them.

It evolved into the American with modern enhancements. It would have been better with a DA/SA hammer and safety. Ruger should have stuck with hammers which they did well instead of giving in to the MEE TOO striker crap. Sometimes a second strike can save a life!!!

Mike J

Hunter
It evolved into the American with modern enhancements. It would have been better with a DA/SA hammer and safety. Ruger should have stuck with hammers which they did well instead of giving in to the MEE TOO striker crap. Sometimes a second strike can save a life!!!
Not saying I'm running out to buy anything but I've been having a DA/SA jones for a while now. I'd love to have a LEO trade in Sig P-series but I don't want to spend that much. Taurus makes an inexpensive polymer framed, hammer fired series of DA/SA pistols. I didn't know they did until recently. They don't appear to be very popular but I find myself curious about the TH series. I think getting to shoot a S&W 669 is what started the craving. I do still have my old Ruger P-series.

Not saying I'm running out to buy anything but I've been having a DA/SA jones for a while now. I'd love to have a LEO trade in Sig P-series but I don't want to spend that much. Taurus makes an inexpensive polymer framed, hammer fired series of DA/SA pistols. I didn't know they did until recently. They don't appear to be very popular but I find myself curious about the TH series. I think getting to shoot a S&W 669 is what started the craving. I do still have my old Ruger P-series.
I still have my Tanfoglio CZ75 Clone and a few Berettas. Bersa has a few decent options. DAO really sucks though.

Mike J

Hunter
I still have my Tanfoglio CZ75 Clone and a few Berettas. Bersa has a few decent options. DAO really sucks though.
The only DAO I ever had was the little P-11. The trigger on mine was horrible but I was happy with how it shot once I got used to it. I think I would be okay with a DAO in a service sized pistol as long as it had a clean smooth pull. If it was catchy like the P-11 was I'd probably rather not deal with it.

To the OP: Apoligies for the thread veer.

The only DAO I ever had was the little P-11. The trigger on mine was horrible but I was happy with how it shot once I got used to it. I think I would be okay with a DAO in a service sized pistol as long as it had a clean smooth pull. If it was catchy like the P-11 was I'd probably rather not deal with it.

To the OP: Apoligies for the thread veer.
P11 and LCP are mine. It definitely makes for safer carry. I think the rash of ND's we are seeing is 3-4lb triggers with no external safeties. It's like carrying a cocked 1911 with the grip safety taped down and the safety off IMO.

Mike J

Hunter
That Taurus DA/SA looks good at a great price. I haven't seen one in person anywhere.
I have no idea who would stock them. I would like to be able to try the trigger on one just to see how it feels before purchase though. As low as the price is it might still be a temptation though as it wouldn't be a very high risk. I hope it is better than the trigger on the PT-111 Millenium Pro G2 I had. I really disliked that trigger.

I have a Security 9 and a PC9 carbine set up to take the same magazines. Love them both. I took two Security 9 pistols to a Front Sight course and fired over 700 rounds between them with zero issues. I took the extra one as a precaution but wasn't really needed so I sold it when I returned home. My EDC is a Max 9 and /or an LCP II.

I've never really seen the point to redundant firearms for the most part. I did score a few police trade in Berettas for next to nothing which pretty much kept in discreet secure locations around the house. They're not my go to for anything but they're stupid accurate and reliable. What idiot puts a safety on the slide??? The Pistol/Carbine combo is a cool thing. I just can't make any Glock mag compatible pistols work with my fused wrists. The Poly 80 is halfway usable but I had to add wedges for it to actually semi fit.

CZ75!!! The EAA Witness is the most versatile iteration IMO. Stupid accurate, reliable, amazing trigger, second strike.

Seems like I've read that some versions of the CZ75 chambered for larger calibers tend to get frame cracks. But NEVER heard that about 9mm versions, and some folks that really know handguns say they're the best!

As always IIRC, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

That's primarily the 40 on the standard frame. EAA used to make a large frame for 45acp and down that could withstand most anything. I wish BRNO would do a multi caliber version of their beast of a CZ. 9mm- 460 Roland with maybe a longer Tokarev round in the mix. If I were to try and 357 Sig mine I would definitely use a Wolfe spring and a buffer.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If "all around" includes availability, durability, reliability, and affordability, you might be right!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)
If I had to take a 9mm into combat , I would take my DAO P89

It may not be "match accurate " but those things work with any ammo, and also when they're dirty. My Dads Sig Legion gets cranky when it's dirty . I haven't done more than run a drop down each slide rail for my P94 in probably 3000+ rounds .

The P85 should have won the US military trials, Bill was forever salty about that and I feel the Beretta was pushed through because of some political BS. No way is a Beretta M9/92 a better service pistol than a P85.

They're sloppy, which can be good. I've run 1000 round cases of Tulammo through my P94 and P89 and they just keep going.

I have a CZ75 pre-B and have had a CZ85b and a DAO CZ75 .40 and they are / were all amazing pistols and if I see a stainless CZ75b for sale locally it's mine
That CZ85b was 1 of only 2 handguns I had for a few years in my 20s, the other being a S&W Model 67 .38 I used to pack lunches and burn up more 9mm reloads than I can ever count through that CZ85b at my old gun club in NJ during all-day shooting sessions

The CZ is definitely up there , I personally just have that maybe little bit of extra faith in the P89/94 that if I absolutely need it to fire after being in some fantastical scenario like a sandstorm, trench warfare, shooting filthy foreign ammo, etc etc that it wouldn't fail me

My plastic P97 probably falls just below a Hi Point in the looks Dept but the plastic P guns are dependable combat guns too