Ruger's New Cardboard Boxes for Pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
So when these came out a few years ago I thought all new Rugers were going to get them. SR1911 gets a cardboard box,while the SR 45 gets a black plastic one.Some MK3 pistols get them while others don't .Anyone know whats going on?

If they're not going to make plastic boxes to fit, then they should put more models in cardbaord boxes. The plastic box my Shopkeeper came in is so big I have to double check to make sure it's actually still in the box. :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The plastic clamshell boxes are roto-molded and more expensive than the Chinese cardboard box and fabric zippered cases.
With Ruger, it's always been about the parts costs.

I'm with Sam, bottom line it is the "cost per unit", as well as much like the fold up boxes of 'yore', there is little storage space required to have them on the shelves....back in the early 80's the plastic ,molded cases, the cost of the materials was "pennies" , the molds were, are the big cost, as well as them plastic hinges did NOT hold up to the constant open/close,,,gotta remember these cases were/ are for shipping, NOT long term storage, so in either case, don't leave the guns in them, rubbing, moisture (condensation) whatever, not good for gun metal and its finish.