"New" Flatgate finally made it home

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Those grips say "Red Eagle Medallions."

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!
The Eagle is a raised silver one with the "R" only. The background is red. Not the way the original "Red Eagle" medallions were. The ad is not correct.
While the grips may fit a "Pre 1962" gun,, (and maybe not,) at $60.00 I'd opt to wait & find a PROPER & CORRECT set of original ones. Original ones will have a recessed Eagle,, and it will be black, no "SR" or "R",, just the Eagle. They usually run in the $100 range. To be correct,, I'd hold out & spend the extra $40.
And just for info,, the only true Red Eagle grips were on the 1949 to early 1952 semi-auto .22's.

Place a WTB ad in our Classifieds here.
Shop auction sites.

Oh, BTW,, it's often you can find an original set that has turned a bit brown,, or even have a dull greenish tint to them. It's due to long exposure to the sun from what we've been able to uncover. Doesn't mean they aren't an original set or don't look good. Collectors usually overlook that little flaw.

Oh,, and this; "Please make sure she never, and I do mean never, talks to my wife ;) "

Long ago,, without ANY pushing from me,, Miss Penny asked to learn to shoot. She found a reason and wanted to learn. (Self defense.) And she not only learned,, but became a "Gun Girl!" And a strong fighter for gun rights AND ladies to be involved.

I have never lied to her about gun purchases & such.
I don't complain about her purchases for her hobbies.

The secret is to say; "Honey,, I'm buying,, not selling. And I'm working on your inheritance. Just think of what they will be worth when I'm gone!" I also taught her about buying wisely,, and how that investment will be worth a lot more as time passes.
Something she can't say about her sewing stuff, or some of the other stuff she's bought. I NEVER say anything about that,, but SHE has mentioned. She's smart enough to see guns increase in value,, while much of her stuff,, doesn't.

Now,, that box of grips shown,, I see at least a dozen sets of grips. What I see is a way to "Upgrade" a set of grips when I buy a gun. In fact,, I did just that last weekend. I purchased an OM .45 Colt, that had a bad grip panel. Well, I went into my box of grips,, and produced a proper & correct set of grips for it,, and fixed it quickly. So,, it's sorta of a way to "Buy a gun for those grips" in my way of thinking.

Last edited:
I know these are repro, but they do look good....

If I can't find what I am looking for, I may have to get them.
My wife is out of town and I got lost in a project yesterday. I will get some pics up for you after the Men's Breakfast this morning. Sorry!

Here are a couple sets of factory rubber grips currently on Ebay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

G2

Hunter
/\/\/\ From above…
The 1 st EBay for $80 is a nice set.
The second set $50 is the wrong screw and finding the correct screw can sometimes be tough, and definitely getting harder to find.

IMNSHO; The $60 Red Eagle is Blasphemy. 🙄🙄🙄 Total waste.
… Contender's advice is spot on.👍👍👍

FYI

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above, the first set at $80 is a fairly good buy and are correct. The second set,, have turned a bit "chocolate," and that's not totally uncommon. And even in the description,, it's mentioned about the wrong screw.

Those are originals for sure.

Here's some pictures of the set that I would let go. Screw included. These came on a 1960 that should have had walnut per LOA. $75 plus shipping if you're interested- I ship Priority Mail insured.
IMG_9135.jpeg
IMG_9136.jpeg
IMG_9137.jpeg
IMG_9138.jpeg
IMG_9139.jpeg
IMG_9140.jpeg
IMG_9141.jpeg
IMG_9142.jpeg

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
It almost looks like these grips have a sort of spacer built right on the grip panel ? It's hard to see how far our the spacer looking object is sticking out ???

no, that is not a 'spacer' but the molded material itself,,the opposite panel has been overtightened at one time and the "hardened rubber" itself crumbled, broke loose from around the hole and the escutcheon on the outside ,pushed ( pulled?) inward,, yes can easily be repaired with a bit if J_B weld set up around the hole area, very carefully, neatness counts..........;)
gotta remember those old grips are brittle ,due to them being "hardened" it is NOT soft rubber ,like the old gutta percha like material Colt and others used many years ago. On the Ruger auto 22 s of the beginning years they used a 'butaprene' rubber material, and were softer, and yes prone to shrinkage as well as warping....:rolleyes:

Star43

Blackhawk
Thanks Rugerguy , that makes good sense and good info. When I originally looked at the picture it almost looked like a small spacer protruding up from that one side.....I just bought 6 more of the nylon spacers this week and on.my way home I stopped by to see a client just this past Friday who has an auto body shop. While talking to him in his office I saw there was a picture of a Colt American auto pistol on his wall....and I said, Hey Oscar, you obviously have a nice grinder here, right ? He was getting ready to close but said, "of course I do".....I ran out to the car and brought the liitle Ace bag I still had in the car and he grinded them for me. I kept one as a sample to measure against. 3 came out pretty good. One or two maybe ground down too much but close. ..... I came home and put one of them in one of my Single Sizes, and it fit great !!!! 🙂👍

good idea and if you do grind them down a bit too much, if close enough ,just spread a little Loctite or some such gel on the end (flat), let it dry and this will built up and make the spacer longer, then check and refit to length, ,may have to do this a couple of times but it works and it ain't going nowhere...just make sure you do this and let it dry, harden,,,,DO NOT want to glue it all together for eternity !!! just hate to "waste" any thing you just got done buying and paying for........something about the" Mother of Invention":unsure:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
rugerguy has given you excellent info.

Those older hard rubber grips can easily be broken on the inside like the one in the picture above. Spacers are still required for those grip panels too.
Another tip on the grinding a spacer too short.
I keep shorter ones separate from the correct ones to be used when I need one even shorter. Example; Some of the Wrangler grips have more plastic material than the flat backed wood grips. They require a shorter spacer. More grinding after a careful measurement of all the parts.

Star43

Blackhawk
Yes, he sure did.....On the other hand, how about if I use a small metal washer at the end of the spacer against the panel ? That will take up the small extra space ? I was thinking of doing that if the spacer was too short as I have washers ?