Ruger vs S&W Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
I think the Yankee guy should have done his comparison piece on "Smith/Wesson vs Taurus" That's what he should have done. Heck those 2 were owned by the Same company for a while back in the 70's and there was some sharing going on between then. Just look at the revolvers from the 80's and 90's and they even look exactly alike. They even used the SAME model numbers a few times !!! So maybe that would have been a much better video for him to do and also would have been much more truthful !! 🙂😊👍👍
I just want to repeat my earlier post. That Yankee guy should leave Ruger out of his Smith/Wesson comparison, especially of the S/W of today. Let him compare the S/W to Taurus!! That is a better comparison for him to use in my honest opinion.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
If S&W are so bad the USN couldn't have equipped SEAL teams with 686 revolvers in the early 80's and I believe they're still in their inventory. As a fleet Sailor myself in the 80's I knew SEALs who carried 686 on missions and while I was in GITMO on QD watch in 83 we were boarded by several SEALs to discuss a future exercise we were doing with them. Two were sidearmed with 686's. S&W revolvers were very good then and they still are.

Star43

Blackhawk
If S&W are so bad the USN couldn't have equipped SEAL teams with 686 revolvers in the early 80's and I believe they're still in their inventory. As a fleet Sailor myself in the 80's I knew SEALs who carried 686 on missions and while I was in GITMO on QD watch in 83 we were boarded by several SEALs to discuss a future exercise we were doing with them. Two were sidearmed with 686's. S&W revolvers were very good then and they still are.
https://247wallst.com/special-report/2023/08/08/the-guns-in-the-us-navy-seal-arsenal/ [/U
[QUOTE="RC44Mag, post: 3193400, me...23/08/08/the-guns-in-the-us-navy-rs [/QUOTE]
If S&W are so bad the USN couldn't have equipped SEAL teams with 686 revolvers in the early 80's and I believe they're still in their inventory. As a fleet Sailor myself in the 80's I knew SEALs who carrie/URL]

Star43

Blackhawk
Personally I can only speak for myself in saying I don't think most guys here are saying anything bad about the 686 or any particular S/W gun or model. Everyone has their likes or dislikes. I just think most guys here like Rugers, after all this is the Ruger forum. And maybe a little kidding can be done all in good taste.....But I like Ruger, and that is how I personally feel. To each is own...

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Good thread 👍 , I have to give a slight edge to the Ruger . My opinion is based on price , and the exceptional customer service . I do own some older Smiths and they are super smooth .But as some one else mentioned , Smith QC seems to be lacking these days .......😊

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Any truly thinking person would know the 45 is better. I have carried 45s since I was 19. I carried my Wilson Combat but lately I don't carry it. There are literally hundreds of people who would love to have one...maybe even finding a way to confiscate a legally carried piece. I still carry a 45 Rock Island 1911 with all their bells and whistles(under 400 bucks)..but only in the winter with a coat. The rest of the time I carry a nice Sig 365 12 shooter...because it is more concealable. Only had to protect my life twice...once with a 41...the other with a 45. Serious calibers. Still here

Dan in MI

Staff member
My very first gun - ever - was a S&W M29, 8-3/8" barrel that I bought for IHMSA Silhouette shooting. Beautiful gun.

But I bought it new in 1988 and that period of S&W was not their greatest in terms of quality. Those in IHMSA that shot revolvers (as opposed to T/C's and XP-100's) chose Ruger Blackhawks or Dan Wesson over S&W by about 20 to 1. Why? The M29's had a reputation of going out of time and of throat erosion. The common belief was that S&W designed the M29 with the thought that the average owner wouldn't put more than one box of .44 mag rounds through it in its lifetime.

As for mine, within the first 500 rounds I did see throat erosion, flame cutting of the top strap, and some timing issues if you pulled the hammer back very slowly (I always shoot single action). But now, with over 2000 rounds through it of my mild magnum loads, it shoots accurately and is not getting worse.

I do believe the Rugers overall are stronger and, back then, of higher quality. S&W has improved its quality since the 80's, however.

I was there for this too. Smith's did not live long if the shooter was a serious silhouette shooter. Smith quietly beefed up their line.

And fired back trying regain market share.

Smith_n_ruger.JPG

Star43

Blackhawk
Dude, how could you have missed that ad? It was in all the gun mags in the late 80's or early 90's. Ruger had their own ad showing stronger frame completely with both guns side by side with the grips removed. .....oh yes, these 2 companies have always loved each other...I remember visiting my buddy years back when had he had his gun shop. I used to look at the wholesaler ads and noticed that if Ruger was with one wholesaler, Smith would not be with that whole saler. And vice versa. The companies basically told the wholesalers, you can advertise theirs or ours type of thing. Yes a true love there!! 😊

Onty

Single-Sixer
Ruger is more durable but Smith is more ergonomic in my opinion
Regarding ergonomics, for 44 Magnum loads bellow maximum, Super Blackhawk v/s N-frame is IMO a toss. However, for heavy 44 Magnum or Ruger/TC level 45 Colt loads, Super Blackhawk with grips like this and Bisley, win hands down:

SBH and Bisley.JPG

As for durability, when talking about N-frame, interesting are only those with Endurance Package (EP). Don't get me wrong, nothing against old N-frame revolvers. Yep, old 5 and 4 screw N-frame are gorgeous, beautifully fitted and finished revolvers, but if we are talking about durability and accuracy, newer N-frames with EP are better revolvers. As a matter of fact, I am dreaming about one 6 or 6.5 M629 with EP, but with barrel from 624. It will look close to this M29-9, nickel plated:

Smith & Wesson 29 slim barrel -2.JPG

However, maximum load for M629 will be something like 265 grains at 1100 fps. Anything more than that, SBH or Bisley (my preference for SA). N-frame, even with EP, cannot keep up with legendary durability of large frame SA Rugers.

Last edited:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Dude, how could you have missed that ad? It was in all the gun mags in the late 80's or early 90's. Ruger had their own ad showing stronger frame completely with both guns side by side with the grips removed. .....oh yes, these 2 companies have always loved each other...I remember visiting my buddy years back when had he had his gun shop. I used to look at the wholesaler ads and noticed that if Ruger was with one wholesaler, Smith would not be with that whole saler. And vice versa. The companies basically told the wholesalers, you can advertise theirs or ours type of thing. Yes a true love there!! 😊

Well, it was the 80's and I used to drink 😞

But I have not had a drink for over 22 years.

I have some catching up to do 😀

(On gun stuff, not drinking)

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I'm not a fan of the internal lock either but I agree, there are definitely points on both sides. I wish they would make the 637 with no lock. Then again I doubt I'd buy any small lightweight 38 at this point.
I got a 38 to carry while my EDC was having issues and within a week I wished it was a 357 instead. Even if I'm carrying 38s I like having the ability to run hotter 38s and magnums if I want to. If I decided to try ankle carry a j frame or lcr would probably be a good choice for a back up.
I had the opportunity to buy a 360 PD for $700 during the pandemic, now it's going for around $1000. I'm still kicking myself over that one.
Oh HECK yeah, here's my M&P 340 PD it's like about 2 oz heavier then your Scandium PD, but since I carry 2 snake shot followed by 3 170 gr Win. Black Talons, I am grateful to have those and I have since changed those grips over to an old pair of Pachmayr Compacs, and they do not add too much bulk as I carry it in a snap on OWB holster under a t-shirt. And yes, I have mostly shot this with some level of .357 load, just to be aware up front that I am basically holding a claymore (Front Towards Enemy) and clicking it off in my hand!
IMG_6785.JPG