Ruger Vaquero VS Uberti :)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, I picked a few guns since christmas and finally got a chance to get them out and shoot them all at once. The three guns were a Ruger Vaquero (not "New Vaquero"), Stainless 45LC, Sheriffs Model (I had a Super Blackhawk hammer installed by a local Gunsmith), a Stoeger (Uberti) El Patron in 357 and a Cimarron SASS Pro in 357. (I had previously fired about two hundred rounds from the two 357's)

I meet my dad early Sunday morning and we head out to the range. Fire the Ruger with some standard cowboy loads, what a joy a to shoot, love the feel, the size and the Super Blackhawk hammer in this short revolver. No problems what so ever. I also fired a 100 rounds of 45LC Black Powder in it, what fun, making smoke! and the Stainless sure made it easy to clean up afterwards. :D :D

Sit the Ruger down and load the El Patron with some 357, standard nothing special loads (Manufactured, not my stuff) and on the second shot, the ejector rod comes off and I can't find the screw! :shock: Put that one back in the case and pick up the Cimarron SASS Pro, load up some 357 and fire a few cylinders full and then notice that it isn't locking up right. Cylinder locks up tight on one cylinder only, the other 5 cylinders on occasion can over ride the bolt and back off up to half a turn! :shock: Put that one back in the case. Luckily, I had brought a few other guns to shoot, because I had run out of 45LC.

So the score is Ruger Vaquero "1", Uberti and Cimarron "0". 8) :D

Just thought I would share, no disrespect to the other brands, I still like them, ordered an ejector rod screw from Midway yesterday, but the SASS Pro is beyond my abilities and will be going in for repair!

Might have to go shopping for a couple of them "New" Vaqueros! :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
While most of us prefer the Rugers over others,,, you can also get a Ruger OCCASIONALLY that has an issue too. But,,, I can say that while I've fired some of the Uberti's, & Cimmarons,, I don't own any of them. But Rugers,,, well, I do own several,,,,,!

~JM~

Single-Sixer
The "New" Mid-Frame sized Vaqueros & Blackhawks are a real nice size. I really like them!

See if you can locate a good Cowboy Action/Colt SAA/Clone gunsmith to go through your SAA clones. They should clean up nicely.

Mus408

Hunter
I have Rugers and Uberti's and really can't say anything bad about them.
Had a Ruger NV in .45 Colt and it was a good shooter but had the problem of the ejector housing coming loose. A drop of Loctite Blue fixed that.
I have a pair of Birdshead revolvers....the 3.75 inch NV in .45 .ACP and a Ubreti/ Taylors Running Iron 3.5 inch in .45 Colt with the factory slicked up action.
Both shoot very well but have to give the nod to the Taylors for it's lighter weight and smooth Colt type action.
They all are nice guns to have!

Thank you for the comments. Yep, I enjoy them all, it was funny that out of 3, two wanted to cause me issues. Just one of them days I guess. No problem with ejector, ordered the part and just waiting for it now. Did put in a warranty claim for the other, waiting to see what they say.

There had been alot of comments lately on Ruger quality, thought I might give them a thumbs up!

Just bought a Bisley Blackhawk 454 Casull, hope to get out and try it soon. Think it will be great!

jasper661

Bearcat
I have Vaqueros, Blackhawks and Ubertis, The Rugers are stronger, and use coil springs while the Ubertis have leaf springs, which are more prone to fail. Having said that I have one of my Ubertis in .45Colt hat has been in service for the past 17 years, and is probably one of the most accurate guns I own, I did have to replace a spring the first year I had the gun, but no other problems since. One of my Blackhawks has been in service for over 40years and it has never needed any repair.

wmgeorge

Bearcat
I have purchased two Uberti's both were black powder, 1858 New Army series. Both had issues, the Stainless one went back to MidwayUSA and they gave me a refund, but If they would have furnished me a new Main spring which I am sure what the issue was I would have kept. The second one, would not always index, after submitting a RMA they told me it would be at least 5 weeks.... they had a back log. This was two weeks ago. I ordered a new hand from VTI and I had it in 3 days, put it in and it works fine.

The ejector rod was an easy fix, fast shipping from Midway and it's back up and running. Got a return authorization for the other. 2 months is what they told me. I am going to ship it Monday and let them deal with it. No real hurry, I've got one or two other guns to shoot. :)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have a Ruger or two, and also some Ubertis. I like both, but usually prefer the better sighted Rugers. And, while bot are very accurate, Ruger does seem to have a slight edge, in my hands anyway.

Here is a target I fired in a side-by-side shoot out one day:

This the Uberti .45 used:

This the Ruger:

As to reliability, I've had no problems with my Ubertis with the exception of a broken bolt spring 'way back in the dark ages (ca. 1975) with an Iver Johnson imported Uberti Cattleman .44 Magnum.

Bob Wright