Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag - Strong Enough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Rclark said:
The Buckeye Special is the 3 digit prefix large frame gun.
I stand corrected. Never heard of a Buckeye Special :) . .

The Buckeye Special was a special run for Buckeye Sports in Ohio. A large frame Blackhawk with adjustable sights and 2 cylinders, one in 38/40 and the other in 10MM Auto.

Came out sometime in the 90s if I remember right. 8)

I think they also made one in 32 mag and 32/20.

MikeChandler

Bearcat
The only thing I will add to this conversation is that the .44 magnum Vaquero is among the very sturdiest of all .44 magnum handguns ever made. Period. So your question almost looked like a troll...

It was kind of like asking if a Ford F450 super duty can tow a trailer. That kind of thing. :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gtrmkr said:
The reason I ask the question about the Vaquero is because I had a Charter Arms +P .38 Special revolver and after 10 rounds of +P .38 ammo the gun malfunctioned and was damaged. I called Charter Arms and the lady told me NOT to use +P ammo even though it is Stamped .38 Special +P

She told me NOT to shoot .38 Special +P ammo out of the gun in the future. When I go it back from Charter I sold it right away.

Tom

Tom,

Your experience exemplifies the difference between top notch, premium brand firearms like Smith, Ruger, Colt and many more, and 2nd rate firearms. Only buy premium brands just like you would tires for your car to protect your loved ones.

Forget all about prefix numbers! Ruger 44 Mags are only made on 44 Mag frames, the largest Ruger makes.

And don't worry about the Vaquero frame versus the Blackhawk frame, it makes no difference! The limiting factor is the cylinder strength and all Ruger 44 Mag cylinders are the same strength, Vaq vs. BH and fluted vs. non-fluted. The weakest point is the cyl notch over each chamber and they are the same in fluted or non-fluted cylinders.

If it says 44 Mag on the Ruger, it will handle any sane/safe 44 Mag loading known to man.

Here's some quotes about Rugers from John Linebaugh, a Ruger custom gunmaker pioneer extroadinaire:

"To DEFINE SAFE: ANY LOAD THAT DOES NOT EXCEED THE INDUSTRY'S RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM OPERATIONAL PRESSURE. In the case of the .44 magnum, this is 40,000 CUP. Not to exceed 43,500 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM."

"Here at Linebaugh Custom Sixguns we build some of the most powerful handguns in the world."

"In all of my findings the first part to let go in a revolver is the cylinder. I have tested cylinders from purposely bulging them to total destruction. In all cases the frames were not damaged until the cylinder totally failed."

He went further on his own and purposely destroyed several Ruger cylinders with loads pressure tested in Industry Standard Pressure barrels that proved it took pressures in the area of 60,000 CUP to destroy the Ruger cylinders.

You have no worries!

caryc

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
gtrmkr said:
The reason I ask the question about the Vaquero is because I had a Charter Arms +P .38 Special revolver and after 10 rounds of +P .38 ammo the gun malfunctioned and was damaged. I called Charter Arms and the lady told me NOT to use +P ammo even though it is Stamped .38 Special +P

She told me NOT to shoot .38 Special +P ammo out of the gun in the future. When I go it back from Charter I sold it right away.

Tom

Tom,

Your experience exemplifies the difference between top notch, premium brand firearms like Smith, Ruger, Colt and many more, and 2nd rate firearms. Only buy premium brands just like you would tires for your car to protect your loved ones.

Forget all about prefix numbers! Ruger 44 Mags are only made on 44 Mag frames, the largest Ruger makes.

And don't worry about the Vaquero frame versus the Blackhawk frame, it makes no difference! The limiting factor is the cylinder strength and all Ruger 44 Mag cylinders are the same strength, Vaq vs. BH and fluted vs. non-fluted. The weakest point is the cyl notch over each chamber and they are the same in fluted or non-fluted cylinders.

If it says 44 Mag on the Ruger, it will handle any sane/safe 44 Mag loading known to man.

Here's some quotes about Rugers from John Linebaugh, a Ruger custom gunmaker pioneer extroadinaire:

"To DEFINE SAFE: ANY LOAD THAT DOES NOT EXCEED THE INDUSTRY'S RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM OPERATIONAL PRESSURE. In the case of the .44 magnum, this is 40,000 CUP. Not to exceed 43,500 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM."

"Here at Linebaugh Custom Sixguns we build some of the most powerful handguns in the world."

"In all of my findings the first part to let go in a revolver is the cylinder. I have tested cylinders from purposely bulging them to total destruction. In all cases the frames were not damaged until the cylinder totally failed."

He went further on his own and purposely destroyed several Ruger cylinders with loads pressure tested in Industry Standard Pressure barrels that proved it took pressures in the area of 60,000 CUP to destroy the Ruger cylinders.

You have no worries!

Informative and very well said.