Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag - Strong Enough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtrmkr

Bearcat
I see a Ruger Old Style Vaquero for sale in .44 Mag.

Is this gun's frame strong enough for .44 Mag Factory loads?

Below is the link to the gun I am looking at that made me scratch my head.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=431613817

I know Rugers are strong so maybe I should not question this but before I make a bid I wanted to ask the question. I shoot only factory loads and .44 Specials as well.

Thanks in advance for your help, Tom.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
It definitely is.Ruger overbuilds if anything.Some of the custom smiths have built .475 Linebaughs and other high pressure big bores on that Vaquero frame.

gak

Buckeye
Yes, it's "just" a fixed sight large frame NM Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk and can shoot any loads its adjustable sight cousins can, strength wise.

MaxP

Buckeye
And, it is chambered in .44 Mag from the factory (I am assuming), so you can rest assured it can handle .44 mag loads.

contender

Ruger Guru
The simple way to decide what size frame it has is to look at the serial number. A 2-digit prefix is the standard Blackhawk sized frame,,, while the 3-digit ones are the scaled down frames.

caryc

Hawkeye
Why would Ruger build a Vaquero chambered for .44 mags and even stamp ".44 mag. cal. on the cylinder frame if it wasn't strong enough to shoot .44 mag factory loads?

As Bucks Owen said, think about that for a couple seconds. I'm sure it will come to you. :mrgreen:

Pal Val

Buckeye
The old-style vaquero .44 Mag is definitely strong enough for factory-loaded ammo. I would not feed it a steady diet of "Ruger-only" handloads. The frame is a little bit less beefy than the Super Blackhawk's. Don't get me wrong. It was still built like a tank, only a lighter tank.

Rclark

Hunter
Think about your question for about 2 seconds...
Yep.... And then go shoot ANY SAAMI .44Mag load in the revolver and it will chew it up and spit it out without breaking a sweat.... :) As said above, the original Vaquero is just a fixed sighted BH/SBH revolver. Enjoy!

5of7

Hunter
contender said:
The simple way to decide what size frame it has is to look at the serial number. A 2-digit prefix is the standard Blackhawk sized frame,,, while the 3-digit ones are the scaled down frames.

Are you sure you have that right? 8)

Rclark

Hunter
Are you sure you have that right?
Yes, I think he is right. All the NM medium frames (New Vaqueros and flattops in .44Special, the .357 50th, or 45 Colt/.45 ACP) all have three digit prefixes xxx-yyyyy. The large frames are all two digit xx-yyyyy. Easiest way to tell apart if you don't have one to compare against when not familiar with the product line...

ElToro

Single-Sixer
At the current bid of 455$ id buy it. I paid $450 for my blue 45/8 vaquero. 44 Bisley and $$500 for a 45 standard vaquero blue that the seller had cylinder smith.com true up and a really nice leather belt and holster probly worth another $50

I'd like a stainless one.

5of7

Hunter
Rclark said:
Yes, I think he is right. All the NM medium frames (New Vaqueros and flattops in .44Special, the .357 50th, or 45 Colt/.45 ACP) all have three digit prefixes xxx-yyyyy. The large frames are all two digit xx-yyyyy. Easiest way to tell apart if you don't have one to compare against when not familiar with the product line...

Strange.....I have 3 Blackhawks--a Buckeye Special in 38/40/10MM, a .45 LC large frame and a .44 Special Flat top medium frame, and all three have 3 digit prefix serial numbers. 8)

Let me correct that----the .45 LC is a 2 digit prefix gun. I had it listed as 048-xxxx when in fact it is 48-xxxx.

The Buckeye Special is the 3 digit prefix large frame gun.

gtrmkr

Bearcat
The reason I ask the question about the Vaquero is because I had a Charter Arms +P .38 Special revolver and after 10 rounds of +P .38 ammo the gun malfunctioned and was damaged. I called Charter Arms and the lady told me NOT to use +P ammo even though it is Stamped .38 Special +P

She told me NOT to shoot .38 Special +P ammo out of the gun in the future. When I go it back from Charter I sold it right away.

Tom

MaxP

Buckeye
gtrmkr said:
The reason I ask the question about the Vaquero is because I had a Charter Arms +P .38 Special revolver and after 10 rounds of +P .38 ammo the gun malfunctioned and was damaged. I called Charter Arms and the lady told me NOT to use +P ammo even though it is Stamped .38 Special +P

She told me NOT to shoot .38 Special +P ammo out of the gun in the future. When I go it back from Charter I sold it right away.

Tom

Tom, that Vaquero is no Charter Arms! :mrgreen:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Rclark said:

Strange.....I have 3 Blackhawks--a Buckeye Special in 38/40/10MM, a .45 LC large frame and a .44 Special Flat top medium frame, and all three have 3 digit prefix serial numbers. 8)

Let me correct that----the .45 LC is a 2 digit prefix gun. I had it listed as 048-xxxx when in fact it is 48-xxxx.

The Blackhawk and SBH enumeration has no bearing on the Vaquero/New Vaquero enumeration.

He has it right. The pre-2005 Vaquero has 2 digit prefix, the post-2005 New Vaquero and post-2013 Vaquero have 3 digit prefixes.

The pre-2005 Vaquero is capable of any factory loading, and then some.

Rclark

Hunter
I stand corrected. Never heard of a Buckeye Special :) . I know about NM BHs, Flattops, Vaqueros, and New Vaqueros though :) .

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I only know of one Ruger 44mag that broke. It broke an indexing pawl after firing a round into the vest at point blank range of a Bandera County Texas Sheriff deputy causing the bad guys gun not to be able to fire the next round. The deputy filled him full of 357Sig while still in the air from being shot.

It happened August of 2010, you'll find info on the story but not this particular detail.

This was an act of God. Your Vaquero 44 mag will be fine.

5of7

Hunter
Rclark said:
I stand corrected. Never heard of a Buckeye Special :) . .

The Buckeye Special was a special run for Buckeye Sports in Ohio. A large frame Blackhawk with adjustable sights and 2 cylinders, one in 38/40 and the other in 10MM Auto.

Came out sometime in the 90s if I remember right. 8)