Ruger Standard serial # 418097

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donnE

Bearcat
Hello. I'm glad to donate to this cause and forum. I inherited a Ruger Standard .22 auto from my dad in 1978 who purchased it from my high school buddy's mom after his dad had passed away when he was in 8th grade. My father passed 5 years later. We shot it frequently at the local range in the early/mid 70s. As you can see from the SN, it should have been made in 1966. The barrel length measures just under 6", and it has no stamping other than brand and caliber. I can't find any examples with this barrel length and was looking for info from someone with more knowledge. I've kept it as nice as possible with thorough cleaning after every trip to the range. I had to replace a broken ejector rod in the early 80s which I attributed to high velocity ammo. Thanks in advance for your opinions on this favorite of mine.

Attachments

• 20240525_162633.jpg
    20240525_162633.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240525_162554.jpg
    20240525_162554.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to the Forum....Nice looking RST-6 and is a 6 inch barrel , gotta measure it from the face of the bolt....simply put a piece of aluminum .22 cal cleaning rod into the muzzle till it touches the face of the bolt,( when the chamber is EMPTY and the bolt forward, in battery) mark it at the muzzle , pull it out and measure it should be 6 inches, the receiver tube, and the slight taper can give one the appearance of the barrel being shorter but it is 6 inches....the other model RST-4 is actually 4 3/4 inch.....nice gun and it has the early A-54 frame,,,,yes a 'keeper'(y);)

Last edited:

donnE

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum....Nice looking RST-6 and is a 6 inch barrel , gotta measure it from the face of the bolt....simply put a piece of aluminum .22 cal cleaning rod into the muzzle till it touches the face of the bolt,( when the chamber is EMPTY and the bolt forward, in battery) mark it at the muzzle , pull it out and measure it should be 6 inches, the receiver tube, and the slight taper can give one the appearance of the barrel being shorter but it is 6 inches....the other model RST-4 is actually 4 3/4 inch.....nice gun and it has the early A-54 frame,,,,yes a 'keeper'(y);)
Thanks for the welcome and info. I just hadn't seen a standard with that barrel length, but then I haven't dug too deep. I remember my dad struggling with it for a while the first time he reassembled it. lol No internet in those days. It's a great shooter and will stay in the family through my daughter and grandson.

don't need any internet, just remember when taking the gun apart, point it to the floor, and when putting it back together, point it to the ceiling ( upward) on an angle,about 45 degrees ,either way,,works for us,,,, wish I had a penny for every two of them I have ever put back together....like a Timex, they take a licking and keep on ticking.......:cool::rolleyes:;)

I believe one hung on the wall of Heckman Arms shop in E Cleveland back in the day but I was too small to appreciate it,,,George tossed it when he moved out to Chardon...we tossed all of our Browning signs, posters and banners when we closed our shop in Eastlake in the mid 80s ........ oh well......:(:rolleyes:

yessir, you can 'antique' or 'sepia' anything these days , they been doing it for years with 'tin signs', like old gasoline station signs, for as long as we can remember.....:rolleyes:
our friend Bruce B., calls it "historical revisionism", like folks do with many of the various gun company boxes and paperwork you see for sale on ebay.....:cool:

.....caveat emptor baby......:cautious: