Ruger Standard-My First Ruger Handgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought this Ruger Standard new back in 1968. I have shot thousands of rounds through it over the years. The blue was pretty worn by the early 90's when I sent back to Ruger for a new blue job. This old pistol had a sweet trigger pull when I sent it to Ruger, but it was returned to me with all new trigger parts and a trigger pull not as light and crisp as the original. I was annoyed due to the fact that I requested a blue job but not a trigger job. I had Millett Target sights installed shortly after it was returned to me. Ruger send the old parts back to me with my nicely refinished pistol. I am tempted to re-install the trigger old parts, but I haven't done so because even with the "new lawyer-friendly trigger job" it is still a tack driver.

peabody

Bearcat
why in the world would they do that ?
but still .. you have a great pistol.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger will test a firearm to see if it's "safe" according to their specs. If a gun has had a trigger job, or other modifications, that could be considered "unsafe" in a court of law, they will return it to factory specs, as they do not want a gun to leave them in such a condition. Why? Lawsuits of course. A lawyer could get them in court & ask why they worked on a gun with a "unsafe" (light?) trigger that was out of factory specs. The deep pockets pay the most.
Most of us who have customized our shooters will not return them to the factory UNLESS we remove special parts we want to keep.
That puts any liability back upon us.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
That STANDARD Ruger 22 pistol is the CLASSIC 22 pistol of 'em all. Matter of fact they should rename it the CLASSIC STANDARD. I will be shooting one of mine this morning, a MKII STANDARD 6". I do believe that one of the 4 3/4" STANDARD pistol is still my all time favorite 22 autoloading pistol, and I NEVER pick favorites !!

peabody

Bearcat
i bought a 50th red grip ruger mk2 back in 99 ..
just 4 " barrel .. fixed sights .. and i too was shooting it this morning.
i must say . it sure is a joy to shoot. !
favorite all time pistol ?
yes .. it would have to be this one . :)

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
peabody said:
IN MY NEVER HUMBLE OPINION, the 50TH anniversary pistols are the best lot of Ruger STANDARD 22 pistols ever made and sold. I bought two over the years, paid $184.00 for the first one NIB and $159.00 for the second one, also NIB. BOTH shoot like a dream, dead upon their nicely fixed sights, and function with everything peddled as 22LR ammunition. The second one has nearly 22,000 rounds through it as we speak and if I told you some of the shots I pulled off with this 22 pistol you'd call me a damned lier. Go ask Boge Quinn as he was there and saw this gun in action. Hellsesbells, I was there pulling the trigger and i did not even believe it myself !!!
The first one of these two pistols bought has all of 300 rounds through and I am not sure how I settled on the second as my MKII shootin' gun. Someday I am gonna get the first 50TH ANNIVERSARY RUGER STANDARD 22 PISTOL out of the safe and run a few bricks though it as I know it too shoots up a storm from those first 300 rounds way back when.
And so it goes...

peabody

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
peabody said:
IN MY NEVER HUMBLE OPINION, the 50TH anniversary pistols are the best lot of Ruger STANDARD 22 pistols ever made and sold. I bought two over the years, paid $184.00 for the first one NIB and $159.00 for the second one, also NIB. BOTH shoot like a dream, dead upon their nicely fixed sights, and function with everything peddled as 22LR ammunition. The second one has nearly 22,000 rounds through it as we speak and if I told you some of the shots I pulled off with this 22 pistol you'd call me a damned lier. Go ask Boge Quinn as he was there and saw this gun in action. Hellsesbells, I was there pulling the trigger and i did not even believe it myself !!!
The first one of these two pistols bought has all of 300 rounds through and I am not sure how I settled on the second as my MKII shootin' gun. Someday I am gonna get the first 50TH ANNIVERSARY RUGER STANDARD 22 PISTOL out of the safe and run a few bricks though it as I know it too shoots up a storm from those first 300 rounds way back when.
And so it goes...

dang..it's good to know others share my view of the 50th year anniversary ruger mk2 .. like yours .. this one drives tacks.
and it really doesent matter what i feed it.
it is one great pistol ! :) :) :)

Latest posts