Ruger SR1911 Accuracy put to rest

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Do you think this is good enough accuracy for you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sargents1

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Donaldjr1969 said:
That could be a useful distance with regards to typical self defense scenarios. With a COM aiming point, it can give an idea about how far off that an average shooter will place their shots.

24 feet is a nice distance to practice double taps, target transition drills, presentation, mozambiques, off hand, etc. If it had any value testing the accuracy of a 5" 1911 wouldn't it be more widely used? :? It should have been reported in addition to a traditional accuracy test.

Right. What he said. And I still find it hard to believe that there is someone on staff at TTAGs that cant do any better than a 10.5in group at 8yds with a full sized 1911 (of any manufacture).

From the TTAG SR1911 Review:
"...For me to say a gun lacks accuracy is like a Burger King fry cook claiming that lobster fricassée with polyphenol sauce lacks authenticity. Still, our group's groups at eight yards were about as tight as a 45-year-old hooker. Adam, a man who can dot the "i" of the words "Official Competition" hiding in the corner of an NRA target at 10 yards, managed the best group: two inches. Andre embarrassed himself with a 10.5″ group. Well, I embarrassed him. Here. Ruger says you can use the SR1911 to shoot 1.5″ groups at 25 yards. You and whose Army sniper?"

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
If you are shootin for score, there is not a production gun that will compete, you will need to "tune it." If in you are shootin to stop, all of the groups I see here posted are bigger than a chest. Accurate enough.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
208packinheat said:
If you are shootin for score, there is not a production gun that will compete, you will need to "tune it." If in you are shootin to stop, all of the groups I see here posted are bigger than a chest. Accurate enough.

Sure enough. If your only requirement is to shoot a 6-8" group at self defense range I bet the cheapest 1911 you can find will do that. Why waste money on the fancy Ruger?

My feeble brain won't accept the idea of "accurate enough" as an excuse for mediocre performance . BTW, Does anyone own any gun that's TOO accurate? If you accept "accurate enough" then you probably do. (not directed at you 208PH, just random blabbing)

More to the point is did you get the accuracy that you thought you paid for? Is your new blaster as accurate as others in it's price range? If you don't care then you bought the brand name. I'm shuffling inventory around to make room and funds for one of these Rugers. Just traded a 1"@ 10 yard (stock) 1911 to make room. If nobody on the world wide webs can post up 1" @ 10 yard targets shot with the Ruger then I guess I messed up. :oops: They've been out long enough someone here should be showing some tight groups by now.

revhigh

Hawkeye
208packinheat said:
If in you are shootin to stop, all of the groups I see here posted are bigger than a chest. Accurate enough.

Very few people are going to be carrying a cocked and locked 1911. When it really comes down to it, 90%+ of 1911 work is going to be range work, which is where you want the best accuracy that you can get. Very very few guns in civillian posession will ever be used for what the mall ninjas and newbie CCW holders call 'serious social work', therefore, almost all civillian guns are typically used at ranges almost 100%. When I'm at a range I want the best accuracy in a gun that I can get, therefore, center of mass accuracy at 7 yards is not acceptable to me. This is why a gun that shoots into 4 inches at 25 yards is not acceptable to me. I shoot at 50 feet, and that would be very close to allowing me to outshoot the gun. It certainly wouldn't let me improve with that kind of inherent accuracy.

I've seen a lot of shooters ... most in fact .... that couldn't hit the paper 5 out of 5 times at 25 yards ... if that's you .... then the gun can outshoot you and it's probably fine. I'd be willing to bet that 75% of shooters couldn't put 5 out of 5 shots on the paper with ANY gun (at 25 yards) ... letalone a 1911 when they haven't been shooting one for awhile.

Serious target shooters will ALL want a gun that can shoot far better than 4 inches at 25 yards ... and that's about what it looks like the SR1911 can do so far.

REV

hughuno

Bearcat
anyone who is even slightly better than an "average" pistol shot will/should INSTANTLY notice the difference between a typical 3-4 inch capable 1911 and a 1-2 inch capable 1911. OK, it might take 3-4 shots, but it will be readily apparent.

On the other hand, average is what most handgun shooters are. Heck, I have been on training ranges with a decent number of police groups (including some NYPD ESU folks) and was a bit surprised how "average" these folks were.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
My feeble brain won't accept the idea of "accurate enough" as an excuse for mediocre performance . BTW, Does anyone own any gun that's TOO accurate? If you accept "accurate enough" then you probably do.

My thoughts exactly AIA !

It seems that many people are willing to forgive their gun's inaccuracy by going back to the old 'pie plate at 7 yards' is all the more accurate a handgun needs to be' ... story.

I don't buy that at all, and I won't own a gun that has to have that said about it.

I forget who said it ... but .... somebody said it .... 'Only accurate guns are interesting to me' ... I couldn't agree more.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
hughuno said:
anyone who is even slightly better than an "average" pistol shot will/should INSTANTLY notice the difference between a typical 3-4 inch capable 1911 and a 1-2 inch capable 1911. OK, it might take 3-4 shots, but it will be readily apparent.

Absolutely ... I could tell after 2 or 3 5-round-groups at 50 feet if the gun was worth shooting anymore .... and if it was a 4 inch gun ... it wouldn't be ....

REV

daddyflea

Bearcat
Most Police are terrible shots. I have no idea why but that is the facts. I do not view my SR1911 as inaccurate, in fact I think it is very accurate. It shoots better groups than I can hold and most Pistols will not do this. I am satisfied.

revhigh

Hawkeye
daddyflea said:
Most Police are terrible shots.

That's the truth big time.

Most cops qualify when they HAVE to .... and otherwise they don't shoot much at all.

In other words .... they're COPS .... not SHOOTERS .... kinda scary actually ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
208packinheat said:
Why oh why do I even get into these types of conversations??? I am not lonely! I think I will move on.

Oh .... OK .... wait .... I'll make you happy 208 ....

If you can hit someone in the chest with all your guns from 7 yards, they're accurate enough.

Fair enough ?? :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
jmfc606 said:
I believe the SR1911 will turn out to be a fine addition to the Ruger stable. I'm just gonna wait it out until the accuracy thing gets straighted out.

Me too !! But the accuracy thing has to pan out.

I have no interest in a 4 inch 1911 at 25 yards

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
208packinheat said:
Why oh why do I even get into these types of conversations??? I am not lonely! I think I will move on.

No need to go, what you said was agreed with wasn't it? What Rev said is probably pretty much correct, very few of these 1911s will be carried (more than a few times anyway...) so decent accuracy will make them more fun at the range. Truth be told, most will be shot a box or 2 then put in the safe. Not us here but the majority of the ones sold.

revhigh

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
hughuno said:
PS, don't expect the Range Operator to do any better than 2-3 inches at 25 yardss. This is what was reported in the mag review I saw. The Leatham comments about "1 inch groups" and "winning the national championships with this gun" are fairly ludicrous.

I'd certainly hope it could do considerably better than 3 inches ... most box stock 1911's can do that. I'd buy it if it shot into 2 inches with proof.

REV

According to the results AIA posted, the Range Officer DID shoot into 1.5 inches ... same as the TRP .....

I guess that doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE ONE DOES :D

REV

Amsdorf

Bearcat
I can't believe anyone is still obsessing over shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards with a $600 1911. Why?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Amsdorf said:
I can't believe anyone is still obsessing over shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards with a $600 1911. Why?

Because only accurate guns are interesting .....

revhigh

Hawkeye
jmfc606 said:
some of the pictures of these groups we've been seeing are 6 or 7 inches at best. To me that is unacceptable.

Agreed .... completely unacceptable.

Of course we don't know about the shooter's abilities either.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
If you go to Jeff Quinn's site he has pic.'s up of 2 25 yard groups. One he has marked 1 7/8" the other is marked at 2 1/4". Then we get reports of 3 1/2" groups at 25 yards. I'm not saying anyone is not telling the truth but I am curious. Could it be a matter of tolerance stacking in such a manner that one gun might be very accurate & the next not so much. Or could it just be a matter of finding a load it likes.

Oh, almost forgot here is the link to Jeff's site. The pic.'s are on the bottom right. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm