Ruger Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I haven't seen a new Blackhawk in a LGS in quite some time. When I recently was looking for a single six for the wife I couldn't find one within 50 miles of me. Two well stocked stores told me that they had only seen one or two in the past 18 months. Off to gunbroker where I purchased an ANIB 4 5/8 SS.

contender

Ruger Guru
There was a recent thread about all this. Basically, Ruger is understaffed with experienced people who can build them. Plus, they are turning out what they can build faster & is in bigger demand. Basically, "plastic fantastic" stuff.
Give them time,, they will return to building them.
Covid & employees not returning left them, as well as most big manufacturers in a labor crunch.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The only Ruger revolvers the distributors have in quantity are Wranglers and LCRs. Classic Ruger revolvers made of steel are either "out of stock" or "allocated". Sometimes allocated guns are also out of stock. Allocated guns are the hard to get models that the distributor allocates in very low quantities to individual sales people, who then dangle them in front of high volume dealers as an incentive to buy things they don't want. I envision it along the lines of, "Buy 10 Wranglers and I'll let you buy a .357 Blackhawk" or "Buy 15 LCP's and you can also buy a .45 New Vaquero". Sales people at distributors can horse trade among themselves to get a certain model that helps them close a sale. It seems quite competitive and I would guess they are on commission. But the root of the availability issue seems to be Ruger themselves favoring production of the cheap stuff that they can sell in volume.

hittman

Staff member
Yep … cheap sells. Ruger's no different that most of corporate America.

They're just not around. Our gun shop in town has a standing order with his distributors for Blackhawks and RedHawks among others. The only Blackhawk I've seen this year was a single Turnbull SBH 44 mag. No other, Blackhawk or Single-Six. But he did get a shipment of six RedHawks 44 mag 4" (2 were consecutive #s) a couple months ago, plus a few 22/45 autos and Wranglers keep rolling in from time to time. Right now, the only Ruger pistol in the store is a hammerless SP101 .357 w/ 2.25" bbl.

I just wish the new stuff would hit the shelves again so prices on used guns would drop back down. ;)

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Maybe I should share the love and put some of my Vaqueros on the market. My wife told me the other day I had way too many of these cowboy guns after she intercepted, over heard, a voice message about the three custom guns that are in the works. Gotta stop the speaker mode on my VMs. I don't think we'll ever see the return of these guns like it once was.

Engraved Vaqueros 1 .jpg

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, I just searched "Vaquero" and got almost 150 results.
"Ruger Blackhawk" returns about 325 guns.

That's just one 1 auction site.

Rclark

Hunter
But I don't shop for guns on-line and get into bidding. No thank you. I bet I am not the only one. Now I will maybe find one at say 'Buds' and then have my local shop get it in for me. I'll do that.

57springer

Buckeye
But I don't shop for guns on-line and get into bidding. No thank you. I bet I am not the only one. Now I will maybe find one at say 'Buds' and then have my local shop get it in for me. I'll do that.
This is my way as well , I just don't want a gun I cannot look at before I pay the money.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
If dealers have hoards of Blackhawks and Vaqueros, they either bought them before production turned primarily to the cheap stuff, or they are high volume deep pocket dealers with some distributor clout. Small time dealers with limited bankrolls can't just pick up the phone and order them.

When I search Davidson's and Lipsey's for Ruger/Revolver/Single Action/Any Caliber/In Stock Only the results are:

Davidson's: Seven Wrangler models. Period.
Lipsey's: Six Wrangler models. Period.

But taking off the "In Stock Only" criteria, I get (on Lipsey's) 113 guns, the first page of 48 shows 29 Allocated, the rest Out of Stock.

If I had a customer that really wanted a blue .357 Blackhawk, I could probably sweet talk my Lipsey's associate into selling me one even though it is Allocated. But if I wanted to get a 3.75" stainless Bisley .45 convertible, he would probably tell me there are none available, but if hard pressed, he might find me one if I also ordered three dozen Wranglers.

hittman

Staff member
Many consumers don't understand that nobody is hoarding all the Ruger single action center fires, it's that Ruger isn't MAKING them ….

I'm surprised and disappointed in consumers who STILL ….. (a couple years into this supply chain / Recession / employee problem thingy) seemed SHOCKED you can't pick up the phone and get what they want immediately. Doesn't matter if it's guns, car parts, or whatever.

I suspect some guns might be getting sold that were previously owned by collectors that bought them new and never fired them, so they got listed as "as new in the box" and later changed to NIB.