Ruger report(sadly)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
When I first ot my Mk III 22/45 Hunter it flubbed a couple of times, but after replacing every spring in the gun and installing a Volquartsen Claw extractor it has run perfect and it has the best trigger on any of the 4 Ruger's I own when they were new (Pre-Mk I Standard, Mk II, Mk III Standard) it had the best trigger I have ever seen on box stock Ruger and is the only thing I left untouched. It has a trigger that rivils my Mk II that has all the bells and whistles including a trigger job done by one of the best, if not the best Ruger smiths in the business.

I will say that my 1959 pre-Mk I 4 1/2" Standard has never had a malfunction that I can remember, but it only has a couple 1000 rounds through the gun over those 50 years. The Mk II Standard I have only fired two magazines out of it and it was perfect, and the same goes for the Mk III Standard.

My never failed to work TC 22 Automatic 22 Classic had a chamber chip on it and it's a low round count rifle and is a lot "better" or "nicer" made rifle then any Ruger 10/22 and cost twice as much, but after all nothing is perfect and the company is standing behind the rifle after all these years.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
steveinaz":24cu8e7f said:
If the firearms industry doesn't give up on Kali, they are going to bury themselves over 1 states rediculous requirements.

Hi,

Sadly, that's a "simple answer to a complex question" kind of response. A few years back when California started their "approved handgun" list, several mfrs DID take that approach. For a short time.

What changed their minds?

Well, some bean counter figured out how BIG the California market IS! Say what you want about us, we buy a LOT of guns out here! So the mfrs "caved in" and went w/ the flow. Of money...

Back to the OP's problem, you'll find me standing at the back end of the line when it comes to supporting Ruger's quality control.

However, I've found the most problematic of 10/22s quite often become some of the most reliable as they're shot more and more and break in. Because they were TOO tight when new, they tend to "wear 'IN' before they wear 'OUT'" to borrow words from a Browning owners manual in the early '70s. The few Mk IIs I had personal experience w/ seemed to be a bit more consistent than 10/22s, but still kinda followed the pattern IME. Dunno about the Mk III models.

Whether the customer who gets a "tight" one has the patience to wear it in seems to be a problematic issue. There's a fine line between "tight" and "poor quality control" w/ many of these guns...

Rick C

I own and shoot both a MKIII and a 10/22 (actually two of those)...

Sometimes they are finicky... but most days they run pretty dern good. I notice that when shooting basic cheap 22lr ammo every once and a while like ever 20 rounds the sound of the shot is different... So, with cheap ammo of just about any brand, I don't think it is the gun at least when 1 out of 20 stove pipe or fail to eject.

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
I have said for years now (since Wal-Mart stared the sales of value packs) that quality control has gone down, sometimes not sure if the super stores are the problem as much as just the demand got too much to be able to keep both quality high and enough product on shelves.

Waldo,

I agree... 22lr is cheap and with cheap you should expect problems... It is actually hard to find 'good' quality 22lr ammo out there. I'm hoping the Federal Champion brick I bought yesterday is good stuff. I paid $24 for the brick of 500 (not a bulk pack) and another $7 to get into the gun show.... the only reason I bought it was that it is real close to the Federal game shot I had bought from a Sportsmans Warehouse last year and discovered on the last box I had that it would shoot about 3 times better in one of my target 10/22s, as in a dime size group at 50 yards.

On Thursday I'll be with some friends doing some serious shooting and one of the guns we'll be shooting a lot is a fully auto 10/22... this is a good time to get rid of cheap / questionable ammo.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I haven't had many problems with my two MK III 22/45s and they seem to get better as I shoot them. I do need to remove the LCIs, though. :mrgreen:

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
blume357":2rlexv6i said:
Waldo,

I agree... 22lr is cheap and with cheap you should expect problems... It is actually hard to find 'good' quality 22lr ammo out there. I'm hoping the Federal Champion brick I bought yesterday is good stuff. I paid $24 for the brick of 500 (not a bulk pack) and another $7 to get into the gun show.... the only reason I bought it was that it is real close to the Federal game shot I had bought from a Sportsmans Warehouse last year and discovered on the last box I had that it would shoot about 3 times better in one of my target 10/22s, as in a dime size group at 50 yards.

On Thursday I'll be with some friends doing some serious shooting and one of the guns we'll be shooting a lot is a fully auto 10/22... this is a good time to get rid of cheap / questionable ammo.
Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

I have found that the cheap Centuran ammo made in Mexico is very consistent and my Ruger Mk III loves the stuff and my CZ will do those dime sized groups with the stuff. And so far the flyers are so few that they may just be me most of the time.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I agree... 22lr is cheap and with cheap you should expect problems...

Perhaps, but explain this:

I have several rimfire .22's. I can't even remember the last time I had a jam with one of the semi-autos.

The newest semi-auto .22 LR that I own was made in 1980. It cost me ~$44 at the time NIB (Marlin/Glenfield model 60). It was cheap, I still have it, and it functions flawlessly with "cheap" ammo.

So, it IS possible to make a gun that functions correctly from the factory.

It would seem to me that they make these firearms with the idea of selling them to consumers. With that in mind, they should "work" as expected. Perhaps shooters' expectations have lessened?

The manufacturers have started putting all sorts of "safety" gismos on the firearms they produce, and very few shooters want, need, or even use them. In trade for adding these obnoxious things, they've installed plastic parts to "cut costs" so that shooters will buy them, seemingly at a lower price; only the price isn't lowered, and the consumer is stuck with "cheap", and is supposed to expect problems from it?

Mmm...no thanks. I think I'll hang on to my older firearms that have continued to work flawlessly for me. With current production guns being what they are, I've no reason to replace what I have.

Times have changed. Rather than selling quality, the manufacturers have turned to quantity. As long as they sell lots and lots of firearms, it's ok if they get a few back for repair. Heck, most shooters won't bother sending it back, and will either fix it themselves or will take it to a gunsmith, so why should they care? These days, it seems like "cheap" has taken o a whole new meaning.

I actually feel somewhat sorry for young or new shooters who have no idea of the quality they've missed out on.

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
Lucky for me I guess as I have gould spread of new and old.
smileythumbsup.gif

A

Anonymous

Guess I lucked out with my MkIII 22/45 5-1/2" Target model.
So far she functions flawlessly, CCI Blazer, Federal bulk, with 2200 rounds through 'er so far.
Bone stock, LCI still in place.
I did do a breakdown cleaning after the first couple hundred rounds to get the grit out.

hutchman

Blackhawk
I just put 300 rounds of Federal bulk through my new MKIII Target. It functioned flawlessly so I guess I fall on the good side of the new Rugers. However, I will say this, the finish on this gun looks like it was made in a 3rd world country.....it is terrible. So it functions as it should with absolutely no issues, but when you look close.......well you know what they say.......the girls all get prettier at closing time and it'll have to be a good 6 pack after closing time before this one looks good up close....

pappyd

Bearcat
Just bought a new Mark III 6 7/8" target model. August 31 was the test fire date, so its "new." First day at the range, I shot Remington Target, Remington Shurshot bulk pack, Federal bulk pack, and even Remington Subsonic - not a single hiccup through about 300 rounds. And it shot right where I was aiming it. The magazines were pretty stiff, but that's not unexpected on the first day out. I'm a very happy camper right now.

A

Anonymous

I picked up the 22/45 and out of the box it was horrible. It stove piped every other shot no matter what I put into it. I didn't want to send a new gun off to Ruger so I decided to try and see if I could remedy it myself. After a little google'ing it appeared that the most likely problem was the extractor so I rolled the dice and ordered one from here:
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/16 ... -extractor
It was only $12 and they had it to me in a couple of days. It took about 10 minutes to install totally fixed the problem. The original extractor looked like the "hook" was damaged and was dramatically different from the new one. It now launches the spent casing 20 - 30 ft and the gun runs like a dream no matter what I feed it.
I did call Ruger to ask why they would let a gun out the door with such an obvious issue that is so well known. The gal on the phone told me it was the first time she had ever heard of such an issue. Ya, right! She said that she would have her manager call me to discuss it and I never heard from anyone. It seems that their QC is lacking and it's a crapshoot if you get a good one or not. But it is a good platform and I can't believe that a $250 gun with bulk ammo consistently puts a full magazine into a hole you can cover with a dime. Try the new extractor. More than likely it'll fix your issue.

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
My two Mk III's have been 100%, I had trigger trigger job and springs replaced on the Mk III Standard, in the process of having same done to the MkIII 22/45 next week with full Volquartsen package. I had to have the Mk II Springs and extractor replaced (Wolff & Volquartsen) done because it was having all those problems everyone complains about on the MK III, the MkI I had the recoil and FP spring replace and new Volquartsen extractor installed last year just from age, even though it had never had a FTF or FTE since it was bought new in 1959 and well used until the 80's and it was retired.

conder0289

Single-Sixer
I was looking a Newport, New Hampshire made 10/22 yesterday in my local shop, priced at 219.00, it was Brand New.
Being a fanatic about fit and finish, I found this rifle to be pure s**t in that aspect. A simple gun with few parts and now the nicely finished product that came out of Southport is CRAP from New Hampshire.
Grainy looking receiver, larger than normal gaps between wood and metal and the worst was the polish along the barrels length, it looked like a barber pole, nicely polished and blued in some spots and dull and flat in others.
I owned one (New) many years ago, beautiful, clean and accurate.
It would eat anything it was fed without EVER jamming....
I, too now regret selling it along with a MKll with a 6 inch bull barrel, accurate as all hell...
I guess I will have to find these guns again in the used case somewhere, but only if marked Southport!!

Rock Chuck

Bearcat
My experience has been a little hit or miss, no pun intended.

My first Ruger, a 1999 model P-512 22/45 -- extremely accurate.

Second - a 2001 model MK4-BL --extremely accurate.

A ~2004 model Wally World Special 10/22 - extremely accurate.

All was looking good at this point, so I kept buying Rugers.

A 2005 model 4" GP100 -- shot way too high from the factory. Adjusted the rear sight as mush as possible. I tried to get a Redhawk front sight from Ruger, Ruger wanted me to pay for it. I got a Redhawk sized orange front sight from Millett, and it is now "decent".

A used 1982 model stainless Super Blackhawk -- extremely accurate.

A new, limited edition (~500 made) Stainless 4 5/8" Bisley Vaquero Single Six made for Davidson's -- Good -- with the right ammo.

A 2007 model 2 1/4" SP101 -- The cylinder gap runs way too close at .0015, but it has never jammed, even after hundreds of 158g SWC reloads (with Unique!) and it is incredibly accurate -- even with the fixed sights. I can't say enough about how much I love this revolver.

A 2008 KNR-4 -- All I can say is, I know it is rare, but this one could have been so much more. It plinks.

A 2008 K10/22-RPF with an aluminum trigger guard. Accurate with next to no FTF's or FTE"s. I don't really like the painted receiver finish compared to my older Wally World Special, but it will run through thousands of rounds without a hiccup. This is the rifle I let my nephews shoot, and they LOVE it!

All in all, I've had a pretty good Ruger experience, and I will buy more of their products. It hasn't been flawless, but acceptable, in my opinion.

My Rugers have been accurate, dependable firearms. The only exception I have, and I realize this isn't everyone's opinion, but my Single Six experience has been less than stellar. On the other hand, it isn't every day that I can outshoot a 22 with a 44 Mag.

A

Anonymous

I have 3 mkIII 's . The first is a MKIII 22/45 Hunter 6 7/8" . It is the only 22/45 of the 3 , and as others have mentioned it does not feed as smoothly as the other 2. The second we bought is my wifes MKIII Hunter ss 6 7/8" and has been great from day one (knock on wood). The 3rd one is a MKIII Target model 6 7/8" . The day I bought it (on a saturday)I took it to the range shot 6 rds through it and the extractor flew out of it and was lost. I sat around the rest of the weekend disappointed. I took it apart and looked the bolt over and it looked fine so I decided to order a Volquartsen extractor and try it again rather than send it back to Ruger . I put the new one in and took it out and the same thing , it came apart. So I call Ruger and after several attempts finally get a service rep . The rep was rude , he looked the S/N up and even told me the gun was made the month before I bought it .Then the next thing I know he is telling me I was shooting hyper velocity ammo and that was the problem . I told him it was Rem 550pks the cheap stuff. I tried to tell him the bolt was defective and he was hateful so I told him just SELL me a new bolt assembly and I'll fix it myself. He wouldn't sell me a bolt assembly as he wanted the gun back. After talking to him I was mad , so I bought a bolt assembly from Brownell . After putting the new bolt in it works great. That gun is my favorite of all 3 of our MKIII's. The bolt was defective and the Ruger rep was a jerk. Sorry such a long rant.

A

Anonymous

some are suggesting hypervelocity ammo as a break-in device.

others have pointed out that the manual says use only standard or high velocity ammo. the ruger website faq specifically says not to use hypervelocity ammo.

i believe hypervelocity ammo broke my LCI.

after a repair, i've fired 500 rounds of CCI minimag without a single failure.
300 rounds of Win SuperSpeed RN with a single FTE. 1 jam in a box of Win Golden Bullet HP, which i attribute to the ammo.

if your gun doesn't operate properly, send it in for service.

Latest posts