Ruger Redhawk Ammunition question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ronsaw

Bearcat
Hello,

New to forum, but not handguns or Rugers. Looking to purchase a Redhawk. While I will shoot some 44 Special and "regular" factory ammo loads, I may want to let it rip now and then. I know Rugers are stout (love my GP100), and I like the look and feel of the Redhawk vs Super Redhawk for my purposes. Can this gun handle a buffalo bore load like this?:

Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. Hard Cast, L.F.N. - G.C. (1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.)

This gun will likely be the 7.5", and be used for target shooting (not a hunter). While I know that the "typical" 44 mag round is robust, there is something very satisfying to shooting a boomer load now and then (used to load my Colt Anaconda with 325 gr Hornady XTP's back in the day and push them to 1300+ fps - in 45 Colt, not 44). Forsee any issues?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
In general,, yes,, that gun will handle the Buffalo Bore ammo.

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I have shot this Buffalo Bore ammo out of several of my Redhawks. Not real bad in the 7.5 or 9.5" barrels. It is a "handful" in the 4 and 5.5" barrels, but you really want to have a firm grip when you unleash this ammo in the 2.75" barrel. :shock: Not something you will want to shoot on a regular basis at around 3 buck a round, but it is my first choice for any time spend in Alaska or big bear county in the Rockies.

It is also fun to load a cylinder with 5 rounds of what you believe are stout loads, then 1 round of the Buffalo bore. You will learn straight away if the shooter has a flinch. :wink: