Ruger Ready Dot on MAX-9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While I shoot a lot of red dot sights on my hunting handguns I've not cared for them on my EDC guns...until now. I bought the Ruger Ready Dot and put it on my MAX-9. Being 70, my eyes have a hard time with open sights. I am both quicker and more accurate with this optic. I can still carry it in my Simply Rugged and my Cross Breed holsters. The 15 MOA size of the dot works great at distances where I would be using a self-protection carry gun.
Also, while these are $99.99 at Shop Ruger, Buds, has them for $65.00 and Brownell's has them at $85.00.

First off, I'm packing a P95 with a dot optic as my 'house gun' right now because it provides a better aiming point in dim/dark conditions BUT I actually feel a laser is quicker and less distracting for SD use.
Personally, I get fixated on looking for the dot instead of giving full attention to the 'target'. The laser gives 100% referencing capability w/o distraction.

My bedside Security 9 has a laser/light combo on it. Just using the light alone puts me on target at any distance in my house. Still nice to have the option of either or both.

As I said, I use traditional red dots, both tube and holographic on my hunting guns. There I have time to "find" the dot, because they don't show up when I first point my gun. This is where the Ruger Ready Dot is different. It points natural just like the sights, which you can still see and use. Plus there are no batteries.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
In a real life defensive scenario you are not likely to even look for that red dot sight. Your primal brain will make you focus on the threat. You will be so full of adrenaline and will have tunnel vision. Taking aim and using the red dot sight at "across the room" distance is not likely, you're more likely to just point and shoot several rounds.

I have mixed feelings on "night sights" , lasers and red dots for defensive use , for "civilians" because I am not going to be in a scenario where I'm shooting in pitch black darkness at an unidentified target, either at home or in the street. Use the "FBI method" if you need to where you hold your small, bright flashlight out and away from yourself because an intruder will instinctively fire at the light. ID your target then fire.

I always ask, who would shoot at a dark, unknown figure in your house? Is it your confused elderly neighbor? Your kid home from college?

Or in the street.......unless the threat is already on top of you , what are you shooting in pitch darkness that you've identified as a threat? We're not in combat with known enemies in the area

In a real life defensive scenario you are not likely to even look for that red dot sight. Your primal brain will make you focus on the threat. You will be so full of adrenaline and will have tunnel vision. Taking aim and using the red dot sight at "across the room" distance is not likely, you're more likely to just point and shoot several rounds.

I have mixed feelings on "night sights" , lasers and red dots for defensive use , for "civilians" because I am not going to be in a scenario where I'm shooting in pitch black darkness at an unidentified target, either at home or in the street. Use the "FBI method" if you need to where you hold your small, bright flashlight out and away from yourself because an intruder will instinctively fire at the light. ID your target then fire.

I always ask, who would shoot at a dark, unknown figure in your house? Is it your confused elderly neighbor? Your kid home from college?

Or in the street.......unless the threat is already on top of you , what are you shooting in pitch darkness that you've identified as a threat? We're not in combat with known enemies in the area
Almost every year I see a case where a cop shot his kid or a friend in the middle of the night. That's why I won't have a HD gun without a light. Mine have momentary switches and can be removed in a fraction of a second. I'm changing over to light/laser combos because nothing is more inspiring than see dot shoot dot. Back to the OP I EDC a Max 9 with the Crimson Trace. I'm amazed how fast and accurate I am with it. With the larger dot you should be minute of bad guy at any distance you would want to shoot it.

My bedside Security 9 has a laser/light combo on it. Just using the light alone puts me on target at any distance in my house. Still nice to have the option of either or both.

As I said, I use traditional red dots, both tube and holographic on my hunting guns. There I have time to "find" the dot, because they don't show up when I first point my gun. This is where the Ruger Ready Dot is different. It points natural just like the sights, which you can still see and use. Plus there are no batteries.
Does the light say Hey shoot here?

Latest posts