Ruger PC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Amen!
Glad to hear from you.

I was writing about the PCs I think over on thefiringline and basically pointed out the few items that people tend to complain about with them that they were actually designed that way intentionally.... I called them heavy duty - duty carbines.

and Coffeepot wrote:
"There were prototypes made in .45 ACP and they shot like a dream."

Now you got me wishing and dreaming for something I know I can never have that actually existed!

Gumby

Bearcat
So, now that Ruger makes a 1911, and I'll bet that sales are doing well, wouldn't it be great to make a PC in 45ACP that uses the 1911 magazine?

They would pull in sales from buyers of all makes of 1911, or am I missing something here?

Gumby

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
Unfortunately, even though the number of 1911 owners out there seems to be growing all the time, market studies showed that only a very small percentage were interested in a companion carbine. The 1911 really isn't a field gun and it's still a pistol cartridge with a small amount of powder so it's unable to take advantage of the longer barrel to any significant extent. Just like the 9mm and .40 S&W you only pick up about 10 to 15% in velocity using the equivalent load from a handgun. The L.E. folks that wanted them, wanted them to increase the range of the handgun from the standard 25 yds out to about 60 yds and that was accomplished with the longer sight radius. The big three ammo makers only make ammunition in these pistol calibers to be stable to 50 yds, beyond that it's a crapshoot. The barrels are capable of excellent accuracy and a number of handloaders have told me that with judicious handloading they've managed to get 3" 100 yd groups. I believe them because the barrels themselves are capable of much better than that. I really doubt that you would ever see a return of the PC Carbine as it was expensive to build back then and would be even moreso now. The tooling investment required for the stock alone way back when was over $200,000 not even including the cost of the changes to the bolt, etc. tooling. The gun was built basically per DoD specs and you could throw it across the room and bounce it off a concrete floor and it would come up shooting. It was built to the same specs as a military battle rifle. Ruger only has one operating foundry anymore as everything is going to MiMed parts as the metallurgy improves and I really can't see them buying a whole set of new tooling for a gun that merely filled a niche market, which is no longer there. We looked at a number of different calibers for the gun, some of which would have really surprised you, but the market just wasn't there to support it. Maybe 10 years from now such a thing would be in vogue, but not today. The few good used ones out there are bringing quite a premium. Where were these folks when we could have used them to keep the sales at a profitable level so we could have expanded the line ? Seems nobody wants anything unless they can't have it anymore. The L.E. folks bought them in good numbers for few years and then went back to shotguns and M16s. The commercial market just wasn't there to support it. It's really a damned good gun for its intended purpose, urban L.E., but not much else. You want to pay to plink with 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP ? Most folks out there can't afford to do that when .22s are dirt cheap and the pop can still jumps around. One comment on the .45 prototypes as I really can't talk about it even now, due to the low pressure and heavy bullet of the .45, the recoil was a gentle push instead of a jolt. A real sweetheart. I tried to get one of the prototypes when I retired, but it was a no-go all the way from the top down.

Sparks1957

Bearcat
Thanks, Coffeepot, for the informative posts.

I'm really glad I got one of these fine little carbines; mine is pretty accurate out to 50 yards, and since it is really intended as a HD weapon that is good enough. One in .45 would have been interesting though

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Thanks again, Coffeepot.

Your in-sight is great.
I wish they would make them again but, real world economics come into play....
I'll have to keep an eye out for one in my area.

Lateck,

Razor

Bearcat
Thanks for the insight, COFFEE POT!
Its always great to see you post.

My PC9GR is one of my favorite firearms.

I have an Aimpoint on my PC9 and I'm confident it will kill a deer @100 yards with 147 JHP ammo. Really tears up milk jugs at that range and closer. DIL shot it some this summer. She's a new shooter and had never fired bigger than a 10-22. She thought the PC9 was a real whomper and found it easy to shoot.
I jumped on the combo band wagon long ago. Have the PC9 and several P models plus a Marlin Camp 9 and matching S&W 9mm. Son just bought a S&W6906 so he may get possesion of the Camp 9 for a while.

Al James

Hunter
Great to see you back and posting here COFFEEPOT! I have referred several people here to your older posts on the PC guns, we all appreciate your inside info. Now hang out for a while!

adk

Bearcat
I'm the one who always complains about the weight of the PCs. I have the 9 and the 40, both with peep sights. Each is set up with extra magazines on the stock -- the 9 with 9BPLE ammo, and the 40 with Golden Saber. Both guns handle the hot ammo and are very accurate and totally reliable. They are perfect defense guns for the civilian, and I will never part with either of them. My hat's off to COFFEE POT for having designed such a great gun.

-----------------

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
adk said:
I'm the one who always complains about the weight of the PCs. I have the 9 and the 40, both with peep sights. Each is set up with extra magazines on the stock -- the 9 with 9BPLE ammo, and the 40 with Golden Saber. Both guns handle the hot ammo and are very accurate and totally reliable. They are perfect defense guns for the civilian, and I will never part with either of them. My hat's off to COFFEE POT for having designed such a great gun.

-----------------

10mm

Single-Sixer
I love this little carbine, so much I have one in 9mm and one in 40S&W. The insight provided by Coffee Pot, (thanks Coffeee Pot) helps remind us Ruger fans that Ruger does have to make a profit to remain in business.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
i purchased my PC9 new..i still have, and WILL KEEP IT. i have a close relative who has the PC9 & PC4 and who will NOT part with, too...

right now it's wearing a vortex, strike fire, red/green dot that works very well.

my experience with the trigger and accuracy are all good.

the trigger, from the factory, weighs in at a 6.5 lb pull as per my RCBS trigger pull scale...no worse than my AR. some polishing and lighter springs (if they were available) would lighten the pull even more if wanted.

while it's not a 'tack driver' it's certainly accurate enough to be able to hit all, but the most minute of, targets at almost any range out to 100-150 yds. i have not worked with handloads to get optimum accuracy from it but i am confident it may reach levels of accuracy that's guaranteed to surprise.

the weight? well...i was trained with an M1 Garand...i find some weight as being desirable. even my M4 has some "weight" to it...

the PC9/4 is, IMHO, a very fine carbine, that should not be underestimated for ANY application. it's too bad it didn't sell better.

Phila PD

Bearcat
COFFEE POT

When the PC-9 was designed most Police Departments were crazy with the light weight, high velocity 9mm loadings in the +P+ range.

Was the PC-9 built to handle and properly cycle the +P+ loadings such as the Federal BP9LE 115gr +P+ H/P and such?

Thanks!

Specs

Single-Sixer
I have been wondering the same thing about +p+ and the 115 gr. The owner's manual says +p+ is ok, but with light bullet is there any advantage to be had?

Phila PD

Bearcat
Phila PD said:
COFFEE POT

When the PC-9 was designed most Police Departments were crazy with the light weight, high velocity 9mm loadings in the +P+ range.

Was the PC-9 built to handle and properly cycle the +P+ loadings such as the Federal BP9LE 115gr +P+ H/P and such?

Thanks!

Coffee Pot,

Any input on this?

Phila PD

Bearcat
Coffee Pot did return a E-Mail and stated that +P+ will not be a problem in the PC9 but Russian made 9mm may cause problems as they use a slower powder which could throw off the timing of the bolt and allow hot gases to exit thur the receiver.

Latest posts