Ruger P Series pistols. How good are/were they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
IMG-9132.jpg

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Was there not a photo in this thread where someone had nice wooden grips on their P-series?

I wanted a P95 DC back in the day... never got around to buying one.

I may have already commented somewhere earlier in this thread, but FWIW, I have a P97 that I bought in the '90's that is more accurate than I am, and has never had a single failure to fire regardless of the ammunition used. I hardly ever shoot it anymore but it is a keeper as far as I am concerned.

I had a P-90 that I didn't like because of the clunkiness. That was the only reason I didn't like it. Switching from a 1911 to the P-90 was like switching a Corvette for a Chevy van. I swapped it to a friend who has used it as his nightstand pistol for the last 10 years.

I've got 2 P97's, 2 P90's, 2 P85's.
--- 24 years ago I bought my very first P-series (a P90) ..... still got it, still use it on a regular basis for target practice.
--- the other 5: still using them on a regular basis for target practice.

I guesstimate at least 70,000 rounds (combined) fired through them over the years. Always clunky, always reliable, always accurate. I can't think of a better reason to keep them and continue to use them on a regular basis.

Star43

Blackhawk
I have always thought that myself about the P Series. They had it pretty much perfected, and to me especially the P89 and the P95.....Then all of a sudden gone. 2013 for the year that it just sort of disappeared from the line-up. I think the P95 was and still is a terrific gun. You truly cannot go wrong with it. Tough, durable, and accurate! 👍

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
So underappreciated. Yesterday I saw a stainless slide P95 in the used case at my Sportsmans Warehouse for $199.00. Didn't want to handle it as I'm weak and already have two... Heck of a deal though. Last time they had one in the case for the same price I called a couple of people (including the young fellow behind the counter) to tell them of the great deal, but they weren't interested (they like their "little" carry pieces) . A few days later it had disappeared....

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree 100%. I understand that you already have 2 of them, and are set there. It was good of you to call some folks to tell them about it, the time you did Think of it, a $199 Stainless slide P95, sitting in a case and I guess people walked by not even knowing what they had a chance to get. Heck, you even had to tell the "salesperson" behind the counter about the product he is supposed to sell.. Unbelievable, yet I can picture it in my mind. Underappreciated is what it is...

I have a P90DC. Some may find it clunky/chonky but it fits my had so well, especially with the Hogue fingergrip grip. I shoot a lot of SRH's and GP100's, so from my point of view, the P90DC is svelte in comparison. Eventually, I'd like to get the 9mm equivalent to the P90DC.

Latest posts