Ruger P Series pistols. How good are/were they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A lot of folks have described the P-series as chunky, clunky, kludgy, comparable to shooting a cordless drill, etc. But comments about the military trials reminded me that the Beretta 92 grip feels even bigger than the P-85 grip (and that obviously didn't stop Uncle Sam from adopting the M9). Just proves every person (and organisation) has their own preferences and priorities.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, one size never fits all, etc.
:)

Al James

Hunter
They are the most hated on but great gun that I can think of. I've owned more than a few over the years and they have always been excellent. Once you get over the tiny sights and not perfect trigger they can actually shoot pretty well. Especially the P90.

gunman42782

Hunter
Everyone gripes about the P series guns being chunky? Have you ever shot a HK of the era? LOL. The USP was a huge gun. I think the Sig was a pretty big gun too, and I never could get used to that decock lever on it. To me, the P series guns are no more chunky, in the grip anyway, than a Glock. Personally, I think the P series guns are the most under-rated guns ever.

mcb66

Bearcat
Echoing the prior previous post, the P series guns have been the best buy in reliable semiauto handguns for years. They just work, they do what they are supposed to do and do it well.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I bought my P90 for just $300, shoots good. I understand why some don't like the grip, but not every gun fits every hand.

IMG_7533.JPG

KIR

Sparks, NV
I guess I am the lucky one here. When I went to buy a 1911, I found it to be heavy, wide and difficult to rack the slide. I had been reading about Ruger's KP345 and found it to be compact, lighter (29.4 oz), narrower and easier to strip down. I bought mine in 2006 for $419. I have found it to be accurate, reliable and durable. No question about it...it is a tank and recoil is easily quite manageable, so much so, as the review I read it was one that even a woman could handle, which was true as I took my wife out to the desert and she wanted to try it out and was thrilled about it. This was at a time when she was going through radiation treatments and chemo. I was happy to see her smile. In fact, in the car on the way home, she got downright giddy and said she wanted to go out again. Alas, she did not get that opportunity as she got too sick and eventually passed away. However, this gun has a special meaning to me as it not only gave her great joy in one of her last good times, but it brought about great memories which I will pass onto our son. This gun has been described as a tank, and that is true. It will probably outlast my son and his daughter. It has been described as being blocky/ugly, but I think it is a beautiful pistol. While not rare, I understand only approximately 105, 000 were manufactured. It has a brushed stainless steel slide, better than the bright shiny stainless steel. The one thing I did change on it were the sights to Mepro self illuminating dot sights, which are larger. OEM's were adjustable as are the Mepro's. I just wish I could have afforded a second one at the time, as I have read about some having a hard time getting ahold of one, even a used one.

Attachments

• KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 36

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I remember reading about the P85 in magazines before it came out .
I liked what I read and bought one when they first came out.
I still have it.
I have shot more bullets through it than a truck could carry , and it has never failed me.
It has been riding in every truck I have owned since I bought it.
It is still in my truck.

I think it was BS when they chose the Beretta over the Ruger.
The Beretta might be prettier , but you will never convince me it is a better gun.

larry8

Single-Sixer
One of my first guns was a Ruger P something or other. It wouldn't shoot within 16" at 25 feet. The slide had side to side play and up and down play at the muzzle end. What a piece of junk. Finally fed up with it I took it back to the dealer and showed him the problems. He bought it back reluctantly. Ane no I will never buy one of those models ever again.

Before I had any real interest in guns I owned only one gun for home protection, a S&W Model 19. At some point years ago I decided I wanted/needed a semi auto. The very first one that I bought was a Ruger P97dc, which I still own. This 45acp pistol is more accurate than I am capable of being and has never had a single failure of any kind in all the years that I have owned it. I keep it in a small GunVault on the lower level of my home as my "go to" gun should something happen while I am on the level and need a firearm ASAP. The 45acp round is very reassuring and I have no worry about the 8 round capacity.

Star43

Blackhawk
I guess I am the lucky one here. When I went to buy a 1911, I found it to be heavy, wide and difficult to rack the slide. I had been reading about Ruger's KP345 and found it to be compact, lighter (29.4 oz), narrower and easier to strip down. I bought mine in 2006 for $419. I have found it to be accurate, reliable and durable. No question about it...it is a tank and recoil is easily quite manageable, so much so, as the review I read it was one that even a woman could handle, which was true as I took my wife out to the desert and she wanted to try it out and was thrilled about it. This was at a time when she was going through radiation treatments and chemo. I was happy to see her smile. In fact, in the car on the way home, she got downright giddy and said she wanted to go out again. Alas, she did not get that opportunity as she got too sick and eventually passed away. However, this gun has a special meaning to me as it not only gave her great joy in one of her last good times, but it brought about great memories which I will pass onto our son. This gun has been described as a tank, and that is true. It will probably outlast my son and his daughter. It has been described as being blocky/ugly, but I think it is a beautiful pistol. While not rare, I understand only approximately 105, 000 were manufactured. It has a brushed stainless steel slide, better than the bright shiny stainless steel. The one thing I did change on it were the sights to Mepro self illuminating dot sights, which are larger. OEM's were adjustable as are the Mepro's. I just wish I could have afforded a second one at the time, as I have read about some having a hard time getting ahold of one, even a used one.
Best post I have read in a long time. God bless her. I don't know you or your wife, but somehow I can picture her smiling at you about the fun she had shooting it on the way home. Great story 🙂

moparclan

Single-Sixer
With my small collection of P series, I actually like them and shoot them often. 3 P89X, 1 P85, 1 P90, and 2 P89. Did sell a P89 WH and a P95 back during the pandemic when prices and availability were crazy. My daughter has my first bought P89 and won't return it. :D

P89T.JPG

Star43

Blackhawk
With my small collection of P series, I actually like them and shoot them often. 3 P89X, 1 P85, 1 P90, and 2 P89. Did sell a P89 WH and a P95 back during the pandemic when prices and availability were crazy. My daughter has my first bought P89 and won't return it. :D

View attachment 40984
I remember the "2 tone" version when it came out. I saw it at a sporting goods store in Modesto CA.....I had not seen it before and didn't buy it, but I held it an played with it for a minute as I knew the salesman. He said it was the first one he'd seen too. It seems like just a few weeks ago, but actually many years. It did stick out. Looks good.i wonder how many of them were made ? I don't think there were too many of those made. That one is a keeper. Yeah, I think the box was red too!

This was actually my first Ruger pistol and was given to me by my father-in-law when we were having some custody issues (ex was trying to "hire" someone to beat me up).

1709314966069.png

It is an okay pistol, but not my favorite by a long ways. The SR1911 and Security-9 have taken the top honors in my semi-autos now.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I remember the "2 tone" version when it came out. I saw it at a sporting goods store in Modesto CA.....I had not seen it before and didn't buy it, but I held it an played with it for a minute as I knew the salesman. He said it was the first one he'd seen too. It seems like just a few weeks ago, but actually many years. It did stick out. Looks good.i wonder how many of them were made ? I don't think there were too many of those made. That one is a keeper. Yeah, I think the box was red too!
Have the two tone P89 and P90 that was a limited edition from Davidsons, both in the black box. I put a stainless slide stop on both to match the stainless , hammer, safety and trigger.

Latest posts