Ruger Old Army Question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bushrod

Bearcat
Anyone know of a way of keeping the three piece (ram, basepin,handle) from coming apart when taking the cylinder in and out. Thinking of a loading stand which requires the cylinder out of the frame???

NorEaster

Blackhawk
For me it's all in the way you hold the parts as you slide it apart.
The 7.5" will come apart more easily than the 5.5" as the barrel is too short to allow adequate clearance to fully remove the cylinder pin

cagedodger

Bearcat
I don't know of a way to keep the three pieces together when removing the cylinder. You just have to get them in the proper relationship when reassembling.

To me, it seems too much of a hassle to remove the cylinder when reloading.

I made a reloading stand for the revolver that works pretty well.

Here are some pics to give you an idea.

standdwg.jpg

standdimension.jpg

The 2 measurements illustrated above are critical to achieve a good fit. You can adjust a bit by shaving a little off the stand-up piece if it's too tall (distance #2) and sliding the stand-up piece along the base (distance #1).

stand2.jpg

I had to carve out the grip butt pocket by hand. Also a little hand fitting to clear the hammer.

stand1.jpg

stand4.jpg

It looks wobbly, but is actually quite stable on a firm level surface.

Cage 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,, this place has some excellent suggestions and neat ideas for dealing with Rugers.
Great looking stands y'all!

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Well I don't know of any way to really keep the parts together when I remove the cylinder on my 7.5" Old Army. What I do when putting the cylinder back in is to first attach the lever to the base pin and then insert the assembly about half way into the frame and cylinder. From there I install the ram rod part and fully seat the assembly.

Now the question is why remove the cylinder to use a loader of some type that has been demonstrated in this thread? Yes there are very nice stands that work great for holding the revolver and seating standard bullets that fit in the opening provided by the Old Army. However what happens when you want to use a heavier/longer bullet that won't fit in the frame opening? At that point you need to use a separate bullet seater.

Here is a youtube video I made just the other day showing some pictures of the cylinder loader I use and me firing off some heavy bullets in my Old Army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQVu3d3NpxU
Or in Hd if you prefer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQVu3d3NpxU&hd=1
Jerry

Mike S

Bearcat
Hey daveinvages
Any chance of some dimentions on your Oak stand ?
A Layout would be even better.
Mike

cagedodger

Bearcat
Mike S said:
Hey daveinvages
Any chance of some dimentions on your Oak stand ?
A Layout would be even better.
Mike

Do what I did.

Get out your Old Army, a ruler, pencil and paper. Maybe an architectural calculator if you're not good with fractions.

See what you can come up with.

I like seeing all the slightly different ways used to accomplish the same goal.

Cage 8)

Bushrod

Bearcat
Thats what I did and came up with this one. It has served me well over the years!
IMG_1369.jpg
[/img]

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I made mine without any drawn plans. Just an image in my head.
Making the vertical rack took a little measuring here and there; but cut small and trim out to fit. Tools I used to build mine were a jigsaw, drill, hole saw bit, forstner bit (for ammo tray) and a sander.
If you're making a loader like the ones that DaveInVegas has made, then a speed square would come in handy. If you start with your base piece, you can hold your revolver on it so that its barrel sits at a 90 degree angle to the base. Place the speed square against the top line of the revolver and make a mark at the base of the speed square on the wood. Then make a mark on the wood at the bottom of the grip frame. At this point you would have your wood base piece with two marks on it. One for the butt of the revolver pocket and the other for the backplane of the loader. Square the marks off to the wood base with your speed square and build the buttstop piece and backplane of the loader.

Coop

Blackhawk
I've been shooting C&B revolvers, including a pair of 5-1/2" SS ROAs, for ten years now up thru 2009 in CAS matches around the USA. That equates to thousands of C&B shots fired.

I have never, ever, used any kind of reloading base/block structure, whatever, when reloading my revolvers/cylinders. When reloading my C&B revolvers, I load the blackpowder into each chamber, then I push a Wonder Wad into each chamber, and then place a lead ball onto the top of each chamber and operate the ball rammer chambering the ball while holding the grip frame against my tummy.

For me that is the easiest way to reload a Cap & Ball revolver.

Coop