Ruger No1 in 480/475 or 460 S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wn

Bearcat
I am planning or purchasing a No1 one in either the 475 or the 460. I am buying it because I want it, not for ballistics or practicality. I plan to put a 1.5x5 scope on it and shoot deer. I am not pistol shooter so I do not know a lot about each round. I hope some of the folks on this board will give me some pros and cons to help make the decision. I do reload but plan on shooting factory ammo. Thanks for any input.

chet15

Hawkeye
Both rounds should be awesome out of a rifle like the #1. Should have great knock-down power. And the longer barrel gives both rounds more velocity.
Not only that, but if you can find one or the other, you're probably just about guaranteed in having a rifle that will appreciate in value more so than the other "shooter" calibers. I'd bet there aren't more than a few hundred of each in the marketplace.
Chet15

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Personally, I would go with the 460 S&W. This is a more common bore diameter than the 475, but if you're not reloading that may be a moot point. However, the 460 allows you to shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt ammunition as well, so that alone makes it a no-brainer for me.
That said, either round should knock down deer with authority at reasonable ranges.

nimrodder

Bearcat
I would go for the .460 S&W. Ammo is more readily available and , as stateded, you can shoot .45 Colt and .454 Casull ammunition. I bought one a couple of months ago.

20010026.jpg

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I bought a 460SW after I realized you could shoot the 454, and 45LC out of it too. The 460 gives your shoulder a nice thump, and then shooting the 45LC (standard loads) feels like shooting a cap gun.

Then I ran into one in 475/480 that had beautiful wood, so now I have both! Haven't shot that one yet.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
I like the 475 but admit that the 460 does have some advantages.

I don't see ammo as being an issue in the near future for any of them, but 45 Colt ammo is always there.

I have a 475 with real nice wood and hope to hunt with it this year. I will put a Leupold 1.5x5 on it with 30mm tube.
I got the Illuminated 4A model so I would have the red dot if I use it for black bear or low light in the pine timbers

Dave

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I've got the 475 and the 460 and they are both shooters. Could not help myself. Great little rifles with plenty of punch and great accuracy. Also agree there most likely will not be a lot of either made so get em while you can!

wn

Bearcat
One more question before I buy the 475. How loud is the report with the 480 Ruger. I plan on shooting the Hornady factory load. Thanks

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you love to "Plink" like most of us. Go for the .460!!! In addition to the .454 and .45 Long Colt. You can shoot the .45 Auto Rim too! What a HOOT!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=193494970

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
45 Auto Rim in a 45 Colt/Casull/460S&W chamber? Sounds unlikely, but I'm no expert in these matters. My understanding is that the Auto Rim was to allow firing in 45 ACP revolvers without having to use half moon clips.
This sort of sounds like shooting a 22 LR in a 22 Mag. chamber - unadvisable -, but I like to know if it truly is safe and doable.

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
Please explain how shooting a 45 Colt/454 Casull is any different than your 22 LR/22 Mag scenario? Look at the headspace and caliber specifics.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
DavidMc116 said:
Please explain how shooting a 45 Colt/454 Casull is any different than your 22 LR/22 Mag scenario? Look at the headspace and caliber specifics.

The 45 Colt and 454 Casull are based on the same case (i.e. have the same outside case dimensions) The 22 LR and 22 magnum are NOT the same dimensions and this is usually made clear if you have ever fired a 22LR in a magnum chamber.
I just looked up the 45 ACP and 45 Colt case dimensions. There is .004 difference just in front of the rim. Is this significant? I don't know. That's why I stated in my previous post that I'd like to know if it is doable - I just want someone else to do the testing!

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
The primary problem with shooting shorter case length cartrigdes such as the .44 Special in a 44 mag is the bullet is not seated firmly into the Throat/rifling. Accuracy suffers in any instance where this occurs. By accuracy I mean tight groups at a distance. I don't believe you will find anyone shooting a 454 or 45 long colt exalting the accuracy of this setup fired from a 460 S&W chamber. HOWEVER, accuracy is sufficient for popping turtles, cans, cactus, and small game. 4/10,000ths is INSIGNIFICANT. The case expands more than this during the firing process. The 45 auto rim has been tested and works just fine in a .460 chamber, however I cannot direct you to any technical writings. Pick any 45acp cartridge (.452) either metallic or lead and start reloading into your auto rim cases. (Cheap and FUN!!!) Your pocket will hold bunches of auto rims!

Incidentally, the auto rim case is much safer to shoot than significantly reduced power charges in a .460 case!!! If held in a manner where the powder is tilted away from the primer, it is possible for not all the powder to burn resulting in a stuck bullet in the barrel. The next bullet fired will be the disastrous one.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Both are very good, and the 460 probably is the more practical choice. However, I love big bores, and 475 is bigger!

DSC08546.JPG

jdrayner99

Bearcat
I just got a ruger no. 1 460S&W magnum. Has anyone he actually fired a 45 long colt thru their gun. Thanks

The 475 will always make a bigger hole (on paper for aging eyes to see or on game) than the 460, and you can't take that away from it. For shots within a very reasonable distance, I think the 475 will offer plenty of penetration with the big CP WFNGC slugs, and when you need some extra terminal performance, you can load the Hornady XTP-MAG. Don't bother looking for a ProShot cleaning jag Saturn aluminum powder funnel in 475, though! It's still too much of an odd ball caliber for certain companies to make accessories for. Another couple pluses for the 475 is that it is the exact bullet diameter, and it is named for a legendary custom Ruger sixgun maker, John Linebaugh. Lastly, you can always shoot factory 480Ruger through it.