Ruger MKII Competition Shoots Way Above Its Price

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Springer2

Bearcat
If some young person or not so young person wants to compete in Precision Pistol, they are well served with a Ruger semi-auto 22 and it can take them a long way. Many, many years ago I wanted to try what was then called Conventional Pistol or the informal name of Bullseye. Money was limited but then I was able to buy a new Ruger MKII Target Government for under $200 and I went shooting. I liked it and moved up to a Ruger Competition model, did a trigger job, and bought some target grips. I was very happy with it and it shot well. Later I would find out just how good it was.

Time passed and I had more spare cash to move up in guns so I have or had: S&W 41, Pardini SP, Benelli 90, IZH-35, Browning Medalist, FAS 602, Hammerli 208, a pile of High Standards, and more. None of these had a big accuracy edge on the Ruger; some could be adjusted to fit you better but none was markedly more accurate. That Ruger could take a new shooter about 97% of where the most expensive 22 would do. Don't ever underestimate the Ruger 22.
RugerMKII2.jpg Pistols in Rack.jpg

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I've also found mine to be as accurate as more expensive target guns, it's just without work the Ruger triggers can make getting that accuracy hard.

Cholo

Staff member
Nice group!

Mine shot 10 shot groups exactly like your pic over and over and over using a scope on 6x and sandbags. The ammo was Winchester Power Points and I still have 1 1/2 bricks of it. This was around '96, but I doubt I could duplicate it now with hands that aren't quite as steady. I think I'll give it a try, though.

I regret not taking some pics that day. I only took pics of my targets that were shot with open sights off bags :(

contender

Ruger Guru
I have had a MKII Comp Target for a long time. And yes,, they are VERY good & accurate pistols. I have plenty of stories about what I've done with mine.
They are good enough,, to the point of the fact that I once saw a NIB one for sale at a very reasonable price. I bought it,, knowing how good it was. And knowing someday,, someone else might need a very solid shooter.

Dad had a High Standard HDM(it's mine now) that I learned handgun shooting with. After I realized the value of that old High Standard, I was looking for an alternative and found the 22/45 series to be just what I needed. Relatively inexpensive, extremely accurate, and reliable--dependable to a fault. What's not to like?

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Like you I have had several higher end .22 pistols. I find the Ruger far better as an all round .22 pistol. Dependability can't be beat, accuracy is just about par with any other .22 pistol I have owned. I have a KMK678G I shoot I have set to shoot at 50 yds. It and I can put 7 or 8 shots on a silver dollar size steel target at 50 yds. Standing with iron sights. But if I do want to step it up a little then I fall back on my Volquartsen MKII and MKIIIs.

I've told this before but will repeat: A few years back, I bought a 22/45 MK3 4" threaded barrel. I was VERY unimpressed with the accuracy. Finally in an attempt to rule out shooter error, I mounted a 3X pistol scope, swapped in VQ internals, and a muzzle weight that allowed the use of extended sandbag support. By this time, the pistol had maybe 400-500 rounds down the tube with a few cleaning sessions. Then one day, it just turned around like a switch was flipped. Accuracy began to improve across the board with several ammo types.
Maybe there was a burr someplace in the bore or ?? but within another couple hundred rounds, it was a different gun. Today it carries a Burris FF3 and suppressor and is my "show off' pistol. Folks who aren't really shooters do well with it and folks who are good shots ask "Where can I get one of these?".

Springer2

Bearcat
I have installed Volquartsen parts which did improve the trigger a number of times but toward the end of my gunsmith days I just worked the factory sear, trigger spring and added a Clark (I think) trigger. My goal was to end up with a trigger that would consistently pick up 2.2 lbs without releasing and would release every time with 2.5 lbs

wproct

Single-Sixer
Jim Sr. proved many years ago that the Ruger .22 semi-auto was capable of competing with the best of them. My 2004 Volquartsen MKII custom came with the paddle shoe Volquartsen trigger being used at the time with the traditional allen screw through the front of the trigger guard to control take up. I never warmed up to the shape of the paddle trigger and replaced it with a Clark trigger. Then, in my new to me Ruger stainless steel 5.5 inch heavy bbl Target I installed the Volquartsen accuracy kit with the new styled Volquartsen trigger. As much as I love the Clark trigger, the profile of the new Volquartsen trigger gives better leverage resulting in an even lighter trigger pull. In my many years of shooting, I have always had a affection for nice target grade .22 semi-auto pistols, and I've owned a few, but the Rugers stand among the top of the best I that have owned.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-3305.jpg
    InkedIMG-3305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • Volquartsen Match Carry.jpg
    Volquartsen Match Carry.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 87

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
Having owned a few MkII's and III's for the last few years, I've always wanted a Government target, but they are not available here in Australia. I've thought about importing one, but that becomes a very expensive exercise. So…… I've finally bought myself a lightly used MKII Competition target.
Should slot nicely in between my 10 inch and 5 1/2 inch MKII's.

Springer2

Bearcat
Having owned a few MkII's and III's for the last few years, I've always wanted a Government target, but they are not available here in Australia. I've thought about importing one, but that becomes a very expensive exercise. So…… I've finally bought myself a lightly used MKII Competition target.
Should slot nicely in between my 10 inch and 5 1/2 inch MKII's.
They are both good pistols.

I needed springs for a FAS and ended up getting them from Potter(?) in Australia. Nice people. In fact I really like the FAS but don't shoot it because I now have a weak hammer spring in the 22, the 32 shoots great, and I get some misfires.

TC981994

Bearcat
Congrats on your find. Enjoy. Let us know how it shoots.
Shoots great. I love it when I know a firearm is much more accurate than me. I put CCI MM HP and RN and Aguila super extra rn through it. About 2 hundred rounds total.1 jam feeding in. I didn't note which ammo it was.

I took my Keltec P17, also. It had problems with many rounds. Saved those and fired them in the Ruger.

An employee at the range/gun store tried to buy the Ruger. I said "No thanks, but I'll give you a good deal on a P17."