Ruger mk4 tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jared185

Bearcat
Hey guys,
I'm new here and was needing some advice. I was looking for a handgun and looked at the ruger mk4 tactical. I was looking for 2 purposes:
1. To keep in my glovebox in my car and to carry.
2. To squirrel hunt (hunted with a friends pistol and it's much funnier than using rifles.

I was looking at this gun because it's small enough to fit in my glovebox and to carry but the local gun shop said it was accurate enough out to 40 yards to squirrel hunt with. I know the mk4 hunter would have been better for hunting but would be a lot bigger and would not carry as well.

Question is: do you all think this would be a good pistol for these purposes?

Welcome to the forum! That gun will be a fine squirrel hunter, the longer barrel of one of the other Mark IV models would help but as you stated they won't suit your needs. As far as carrying, it is a .22, but it has 10 shots, a good safety, it's light and easy to use so it will suffice as a carry gun. Most times you'll find that if you need to use a gun for multiple purposes it ends up coming up a little short for one, or even all, of your intended uses for it.

Jared185

Bearcat
Thanks for input I know with enough practice the gun can squirrel hunt just fine. But I was a little concerned about accuracy at 30-40 yards. Though honestly most shots I take are within 20-25 yards. But if I had to reach out a bit further what do you all think accuracy with the shorter barrel would be like

I had to look up this model. If the MK4 "Tactical" is as accurate as the typical MK3 4" 22/45, the platform has the mechanical accuracy you desire. How accurate you can shoot it will depend on your personal capabilities. Just my opinion, the 4" 22/45 is much more difficult to shoot with similar accuracy vs. the same model with a 5.5" barrel based on shooting both side by side. That short sight radius really makes a difference.
If you're talking about carrying the pistol for self defense, you'll need to learn to shoot it extremely well. Otherwise, you're going to compromise yourself by the use of the low powered cartridge.