Ruger Mark III Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Unstyled L

Bearcat
I have just purchased a used Mark III and I want to use it for plinking and non serious target shooting. I would verey much like to put a pretty good scope on it. What are some suggestions for me to consider? Thanks RT

wwb

Hunter
Weaver makes a pretty decent 2X handgun scope.... I have had one on a .44 Mag Super Redhawk for 6 years with no complaints (except it seems more like a 1.5X than a 2X). Unless you're strictly shooting off sandbags, you will find anything over 2X to be pretty hard to use, as the alignment of your eye with the scope axis gets to be very critical.

For a .22 pistol. put some serious consideration to a red dot instead of a scope.... eye alignment is not an issue, and it's good to 50 yards or so.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Think red dot. Ultradot matchdot if you can afford one but the $35 units work well too.

kacher1

Bearcat
Look at the Millett SP-2. Usually on sale in the 60-70 dollar range at various on-line sites, some with free shipping. It's a pretty good red dot for the money. Mine held zero after banging the receiver off the frame a few times.

Unstyled L

Bearcat
Hey Everyone, Thanks for the good information. I now can do my homework and make an informed decision based on this information. Unstyled L

gasbag

Blackhawk
One more vote for a red dot.
I put a Burris red dot on my old Buck Mark and it works great.
It also works well with old eyes like mine, that little red dot doesn't go out of focus
like my iron sights do. It has improved my shooting a lot with that pistol.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
And yet another red dot vote. However, I favor the inclosed Bushnell Trophy. Stays clean, easy to protect, non-fogging, easy to zero, mounts nicely on the Ruger rail.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have tried the red dot and several other scopes. The Red Dots are nice but if you are into serious Target shoot or precision shooting (making one hole say at 25 yards) I would go with a scope. The red dot will cover the bulls eye up at that distance and if you're eye's are like mine it just does not allow you to see a small bulls eye at 25 yards (Red Dot have no enlargement capabilities)
I tried very expensive scopes but their eye relief was mostly 20 inches and were to far for my short arms. I ended up buying 2 of these scopes. Very well made very solid the eye relief was perfect not nearly as far as the others. Good warranty and very reasonably priced.
Good Luck on you're quest and let us know what you end up with.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood-hi-lux-optics-2-7x32mm-long-eye-relief-ler27x32.html

Chris

Blackhawk
I have a Vortex Crossfire 2x20 EER on mine, originally $129.00. Cameraland in NYC was blowing them out for $29.00. Dont know if they still have them but certainly worth a call.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexcrossfire2x20
Hope this helps

Chris

heymatthew

Bearcat
I will say that if you're looking for rested, long-range shooting (ie, 50 yards or greater) then you will probably be more successful with a scope. The finer cross hairs will obscure less of your target, giving you a more precise shooting experience.

However, most handgun shooting is done at less than 50 yards. Typically in the 30 feet to 25 yard category. If this is you (general range plinking at cans, etc.), then I will add another vote to the red dot hat. On my 22/45 Mark III Hunter, I was running an UltraDot 30mm with the 4MOA dot. It served me well until I migrated it over to my 10/22, where it continues to serve me well. A Burris FastFire III took its place and is also serving me very well. The UltraDot is a great optic for the money and will give you years of reliable service. Their prices are fair and the products are top-notch. A good friend of mine shoots with a Bushnell TRS-25 and I really like it a lot. Definitely one to consider if you're still shopping. It's less than $100 and well worth the money.

I've used a Millet SP2, Bushnell Trophy, TruGlo Open-Style Red Dot, UltraDot 30mm and the FastFire III. Of those, my favorites are the UltraDot and the FastFire III. I found the Bushnell Trophy wasn't bright enough. The Millet had some serious ghosting and flare (I had one red dot with about 4 or 5 red dot reflections off at the 10 o'clock position. The TruGlo wouldn't hold zero at all (kind of strange for an optic on a .22).

Take a look at the red dots. I think that will give you exactly what you're looking for.