Ruger Kodiak Backpacker Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mynorac

Bearcat
Yesterday I bought a very nice used Kodiak Backpacker 44 magnum. The gun was built in 2015 and had been fired a little but looks almost new. I think I will make this my back woods gun but I would like to change out the grips. The wood grips are beautiful but I am sure they will slip in my hands under heavy loads offered by Buffalo Bore and Double Tap. I have no problem with any of my other 44 magnums or larger revolvers equipped with rubber grips. I have small hands and very dry skin which makes it difficult to control muzzle flip under certain condition. I haven't shot anything that I can't handle if the grips are rubber or otherwise non-smooth. When I shoot large caliber pistols with wooden grips I always wear a lightweight golf glove.

I bought a Hogue monogrip that said it would fit a Redhawk but apparently the Kodiak has a more rounded backstrap grip and I can't see how it would ever work. I took out one of my other Redhawks that there is definitely a difference. I've done some checking on the web but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know if a rubber grip is available for my Kodiak?

I paid $655.00 for the revolver out the door. Was that a decent price?

hittman

Staff member
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=262374

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=262213

Maybe these will help ...... don't look like there's a lot of options right now. Maybe a Tyler T Grip would help?

Welcome to the forum.

Yetiman

Bearcat
The Kodiak has the round butt frame, so traditional Redhawkgrips which leave the frame exposed will leave a gap.

On mine I use a Pachmayer Gripper-Decelerator which I have found to be very comfortable to shoot recoil wise, and it fits my hand OK, though I wish there were a bit more rubber under my last two fingers. It is very slim and conceals well too.

I also have a Pachmayer Presentation grip that does well, but is thicker (less concealable) and doesn't absorb recoil quite as well for me.

The Gripper :
VydUdha.jpg

I love the gun with this grip. I shoot it every time I go to the range.

I had an IWB holster made for mine, which is quite comfortable to carry. You wouldn't believe how concealable a Redhawk can be !
IUZ5rcw.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mynorac said:
The wood grips are beautiful but I am sure they will slip in my hands under heavy loads offered by Buffalo Bore and Double Tap.
Welcome to the forum. :D
Is there really a need to shoot heavy loads in your 44 magnum. A standard 44 magnum load should do fine in the woods.
Those Pachmayer Gripper-Decelerator grips seem like the answer to your question.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
g-o-o-g-l-e. The gun has been around a while by now, I'm sure there's several makers offering rubber grips for it. Nice gun.

mynorac

Bearcat
Yetiman said:
The Kodiak has the round butt frame, so traditional Redhawkgrips which leave the frame exposed will leave a gap.

On mine I use a Pachmayer Gripper-Decelerator which I have found to be very comfortable to shoot recoil wise, and it fits my hand OK, though I wish there were a bit more rubber under my last two fingers. It is very slim and conceals well too.

I also have a Pachmayer Presentation grip that does well, but is thicker (less concealable) and doesn't absorb recoil quite as well for me.

The Gripper :
VydUdha.jpg

I love the gun with this grip. I shoot it every time I go to the range.

I had an IWB holster made for mine, which is quite comfortable to carry. You wouldn't believe how concealable a Redhawk can be !
IUZ5rcw.jpg

I think the Gripper is exactly what I need. Do I just look for a Pachmayer Gripper or do I need another number or something?
I like your holster!

mynorac

Bearcat
SteelBlue said:
You can buy the backpacker brand new in Phoenix for $750

But if I'm not mistaken you paid 8.6% sells tax so the "out the door price" was $814.50.

No sells tax in Montana.

The shop had a brand new Kodiak right next to the one I bought but the asking price was over $800.00

mynorac

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
mynorac said:
The wood grips are beautiful but I am sure they will slip in my hands under heavy loads offered by Buffalo Bore and Double Tap.
Welcome to the forum. :D
Is there really a need to shoot heavy loads in your 44 magnum. A standard 44 magnum load should do fine in the woods.
Those Pachmayer Gripper-Decelerator grips seem like the answer to your question.

You are probably right but I spend time in grizzly bear country west of Missoula Montana. A good .44 magnum load should be OK for the size of grizzlies we have here in Montana and I'm 99+% certain that I will never have to draw my gun but I have my wife and dogs with me and would rather not worry about whether or not I have a big enough gun. In the past I've taken one of my more powerful revolvers but the Backpacker is quite a bit lighter and with DT or Buffalo Bore heavy loads I get about the same stopping power as a strong .454 Casull. IMO

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I use the Kodiak Backer as my grizzly defense gun as well. I've shot the heavy load rounds and you really do feel it, even with gloves. In some ways I wish I had waited for the new Lipsey's Redhawk full-lug 4.2" but I'm happy with what I have.

Yetiman

Bearcat
mynorac said:
I think the Gripper is exactly what I need. Do I just look for a Pachmayer Gripper or do I need another number or something?
I like your holster!

I ordered mine on Amazon. The grip used to be called a 'Gripper', and now is called a 'Decelerator' on Lyman's web site. Amazon uses both names.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ134S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of people complain about the fit. Mine needed a very small amount of rubber removed to achieve an excellent fit.

mynorac

Bearcat
Yetiman said:
mynorac said:
I like your holster!

I ordered mine on Amazon. The grip used to be called a 'Gripper', and now is called a 'Decelerator' on Lyman's web site. Amazon uses both names.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ134S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of people complain about the fit. Mine needed a very small amount of rubber removed to achieve an excellent fit.

Thank you! I don't mind trimming up the grip. I had to do that some time ago on a standard Redhawk and even though it didn't look professional it worked and was something I occasionally carried.