Ruger Ivory Grip Value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yeah, we know Heiser holsters may be "collectible",,,, BUT not that high .... :roll:
you come right back to what I say is a "sum of the total of the parts" (in this case, "accessories")

Yes, indeed.

For my own part, I'd have no interest in the holster. It may be a fine example of the art, but my interest is with the revolver. Money only goes so far. So, if I were going to seriously discuss this as an offering, I'd want to know "How much for the gun alone?" Looks like a pretty nice, if not "perfect" example of a flatgate.

That said, someone else might go absolutely nutz over the entire package. Diff'rent strokes . . .

;)

Yessir, put that fine looking GUN, in that fine looking holster, and the gun will NOT be so nice looking in time, leather just loves to eat the bluing off ANY gun................
shoot that FINE looking gun, with them FINE looking grips, and soon those grips will be the bearer of "damage", they are for LOOKS ,NOT use...........I wish I could count how many folks have brought in guns ,with exotic grips materials, ivory or stag or pearl, and they got "chipped, cracked or broken" in use...purposeful as well as accidental (OR over tightened the grip screws, over and over and over till....."click".......) :shock:

or want their gun refinished from all the holster wear..... 8) :roll: :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The referenced EBay holster is a Totally different piece of leather and much older, for a full size single action. This is an apple vs. orange situation. While both are Heiser leather, the comparison vastly changes. Pointedly, an early Flatgate Single Six and a Blackhawk Flattop 357 are both Rugers, but only the name and action are the same and then the differences are very impactive on value.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jesus guys, it was not intended as a professional appraisal. I didn't see anyone else jump to say that the holster is valuable. The example given was simply an example of what they 'can' be worth and it was found in a 30 second search. The point being that the holster is probably worth a lot more than the average person would assume. I am not a collector and as such have no idea what a nice flatgate is worth but the Heiser holster is easily in the price range of many used Single Sixes. In other words, not the $50 junker that many would assume.

I would NOT suggest selling it as a "package deal".

And my comment was not intended to classify the holster as "junk" either, merely that your link does NOT establish the value of the holster. It will take a sale to do that. An asking price doesn't establish anything.

;)

zoyt

Bearcat
Gentlemen-
Thank you for all the comments and advice. At this five minutes in time my thought is to break the package and sell off the holster, then the ivories and then the pistol with period replacement rubber grips.

Regarding the holster, I have not put it on the market so there is no asking price on it yet (that might change today!). However, three members expressed interest yesterday, one made what I think is a serious offer.

Again, thanks.

street

Hunter
I think you are going about it in the right way. Not everyone would want the complete package and if they do then they can buy all of it. And let me add you will come out a lot better by selling it that way. :p

as we said in the very beginning, " a sum of the total of the value of the parts".you will have different folks wanting various "parts" ( by this I mean, and meant "accessories", what makes up the entire "package")...you do that , you will be just fine, and do not be in a rush or be "hurried" who knows how many have NOT even seen yet just what the rest of us have been talking, commenting about............ :wink: it is ALL really nice "stuff" you have there.... 8)

zoyt

Bearcat
OK Smart Guys I need more help. A guy approached me and said my ivories could be Factory because in the first couple years Ruger was not putting medallions on all of the ivories they installed. Yet, many of you have said "no medallions, not Factory". Could this other guy be right? Again thanks.

Not a "real Smart Guy" but I recall from many years ago, as well as for MOST we have ever seen, talked about ,handled, and bought or sold, the detail of medallions was ALWAYS the main crux of any decision, as well as what I had been told by those around the "old man",was the medallion made HIS grips and guns different and stand out from Colts and others.....in the early days there were MANY makers of various grips ,most of exotic materials, stag, ivory and pearl, ,most out of New York or the east coast, and they were fairly "cheap", and the installation of medallions was available, and AGAIN< just how they were installed, , mounted, the holes 'predrilled and the final staking, were the main differences and easy to 'spot' an aftermarket one. Just MY .02 cents, and does this make ME a "Smart Guy? :roll:

Remember FAR MORE stags, ivory and pearl are out there than the factory EVER sold or even gave away, or left in the hands of salesmen........ 8)

zoyt

Bearcat
Hawk-

OK. I always hear better when I'm shouted at! It seems reasonable to assume that Ruger would not have put out ivories without their trademark on them. I do suppose that the same "vendor" that supplied the medallioned ivories to Ruger could also have been selling the same ones without the medallions in the secondary market. Just my thoughts. I don't much care at the end of the day...just want to peddle these ivories.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Sell that ivory before Jan 1 2015, new rules from Obama will make then unsellable and unable to be transfered:

http://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

zoyt

Bearcat
P89DC-

Thanks for info. I did not read the Jan 1, 2015 deadline in the link you provided. Where is that date noted?

Z.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
zoyt said:
P89DC-

Thanks for info. I did not read the Jan 1, 2015 deadline in the link you provided. Where is that date noted?

Z.
Yeah, I'm lost on that too. I can't find where it says a pre-1955 consumer-owned ivory piece can't be sold in the U.S. after Jan. 1, 2015.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
zoyt said:
Hawk-

OK. I always hear better when I'm shouted at! It seems reasonable to assume that Ruger would not have put out ivories without their trademark on them. I do suppose that the same "vendor" that supplied the medallioned ivories to Ruger could also have been selling the same ones without the medallions in the secondary market. Just my thoughts. I don't much care at the end of the day...just want to peddle these ivories.

NO SHOUTING INVOLVED. WHO OR WHEREVER THAT BS WAS PROMOTED, NEEDS TO BE PUT TO REST. HOW I PREFER TO TYPE HAS ZIP TO DO WITH THE INFO PROVIDED. IT IS SIMPLY EASIER TO DO THE CAPS VARIATION. SO,STOP FUSSING ...............BE GLAD SOME OF US COMMUNICATE WITH YOU. WORK ON SELLING YOUR IVORY.......... 8)

Latest posts