Ruger in .45ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would You Buy A Ruger DA Revolver in .45 ACP If They Built It?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
The 45acp is basically a 44spl & vice-versa.

A crucial difference besides the acp being a semi-auto rnd is the availablity of ammo.

The 44spl has vaquero loads and 200gn flying ashtray package by Blazer.

The 45 Colt is carried in even fewer stores while the acp is a std where cartridges are sold.

Naturally the 45 w/clips will load/unload faster.

The 44spl has more meat between chambers, so the reloader can hot-rod shells to a point.

I wish Ruger would come out w/DA 45 acp w/cylinder & frame window designed just for the 45acp length in a 5 rnd package w/3" brl.

I'd buy two.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The only currently (or ever) available platform would be the Redhawk (or Super Redhawk). Which, in .45Colt, is strong enough to withstand a steady diet of loads in the 50,000psi range. So really, who wants a big beefy 50,000psi Redhawk for a 21,000psi cartridge when they could have a svelte N-frame???

That said, there's nothing preventing anyone from procuring a .45Colt Redhawk and getting it cut for moonclips for use with .45ACP.

Knuckles

Buckeye
CraigC":2gx0jkr8 said:
The only currently (or ever) available platform would be the Redhawk (or Super Redhawk). Which, in .45Colt, is strong enough to withstand a steady diet of loads in the 50,000psi range. So really, who wants a big beefy 50,000psi Redhawk for a 21,000psi cartridge when they could have a svelte N-frame???

That said, there's nothing preventing anyone from procuring a .45Colt Redhawk and getting it cut for moonclips for use with .45ACP.

I don't agree... the "LCR" did not come from any existing platform... Ruger could build a nice .45acp in the blink of an eye... no more old excuses (from Ruger). :roll:

Bud (knuckles)

CraigC

Hawkeye
You don't agree with what??? I didn't say anything about a new platform, I said the Redhawk was the only platform currently or ever available from Ruger suitable for the cartridge. The GP and its descendants are too small. Yes, Ruger could design a brand new gun between the Redhawk and GP but I seriously doubt they ever would. Too small a market. A new variation of an old design is one thing, a whole new gun is quite another. NOTHING gets done in the blink of an eye. :roll:

Knuckles

Buckeye
CraigC":3gj9kljv said:
You don't agree with what??? I didn't say anything about a new platform, I said the Redhawk was the only platform currently or ever available from Ruger suitable for the cartridge. The GP and its descendants are too small. Yes, Ruger could design a brand new gun between the Redhawk and GP but I seriously doubt they ever would. Too small a market. A new variation of an old design is one thing, a whole new gun is quite another. NOTHING gets done in the blink of an eye. :roll:

Yes' I read your post poorly, I recant... though my point has been consistent when every this topic comes up... that is "if you build it ... they will come".

Ruger pulled the LCR out of there can, and to my knowledge... no one was asking for it... they could do the same with a .45acp.
I have the new .45Colt Redhawk and I have NO use for it in .45acp, it's just way too heavy.

Bud (knuckles)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Would a 5-shot GP in .45ACP work?

Would there be any market for a 5-shot convertible GP with cylinders in .45ACP and .45 Colt?

Just askin'.... :?

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I voted no, I already have a 45 convertible Blackhawk and I don't really see the reason for owning a DA version.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Anyone of you engineering types have an answer on the 5 shot GP100 question? I see a 7 shot 327 so we know they are willing and able to alter that gun............... I would buy a 5 shot 45 ACP GP 100 in a minute!

I firmly disagree with those claiming the 45 ACP is lame. It was designed after all to duplicate the ballistics of the 45 Colt. Not everyone hotrods the 45 Colt just becasue it can be done. The 45 ACP offers plenty of power for most things, and a WIDE variety of defense type ammo that the 45 Colt does not have. I usually end up loading my 45 Colt to 45 ACP ballistics for general use. I even use the cast 200 gr semi wadcutter in it, as those bullets are plentiful and cheap.

Louie

CraigC

Hawkeye
The .45ACP isn't lame, the Redhawk is just too much beef for the cartridge and the GP ain't enough. There 'might' be enough room for the .45ACP in a five-shot GP. When built in .44Spl it's safe for the Keith load so it's certainly plausible. I've never heard of one being built so that isn't good news. Either way, I like for my sixgun cartridges to have a rim. I ain't fooling with moonclips if I don't have to and would rather have a .44Spl anyway. Build it in a factory five-shot .44Spl (blued!) and I'll get in line.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
knuckles":3mprbt5x said:
Someone needs to tell Smith & Wesson to buy all those Mountain Guns, model 625's like the "JM" 4-incher and all the thousands of other double-action revolvers back because nobody wanted them in 45acp.

Bud (knuckles) :roll:

Yep!! I only own one S&W and its a 625-2 and I will never sell it. Most accurate D/A I own also. Check out the resale value on those S&W .45 ACP guns!! :wink:

For years I've wanted to see a GP-100 platform in .45 ACP (5 shot?) in
2 3/4" & 5" full underlug. I would buy one of each and I bet alot of others would also. A .44Spcl. would be icing on the cake!! :D :D
Terry

Rclark

Hunter
I voted no. I see absolutely no need. I shoot .45 Colt mild to wild. What the .45 ACP will do, so will the .45 Colt. And what the .45 ACP can't do the .45 Colt will do. So..... no need for a dedicated .45 ACP revolver (for me anyway :) ) .

maxpress

Buckeye
I would like to see it taken a step further. i know it would be a nich gun and probably a 2000piece order from davidsons or lipsey and it would cost but how bout a redhawk convertable 45 acp/colt. i think it would have to have an extra cylinder crane and cylinder.

Knuckles

Buckeye
maxpress":ybefvv66 said:
I would like to see it taken a step further. i know it would be a nich gun and probably a 2000piece order from davidsons or lipsey and it would cost but how bout a redhawk convertable 45 acp/colt. i think it would have to have an extra cylinder crane and cylinder.

NO!... the Redhawk is too heavy... the only reason I bought one was because it can shoot the Ruger-only Big-Game ammo, or else I simply would have purchased a used "Lew Horton" .44spl.

Something around the size of the new S&W "Nightguard" is what I think would sell... a little bigger than the Ruger "LCR" would do the trick.

Maybe a five shot GP100 in 2 or 3 bbl lengths.

I voted YES! 8)

Bud (knuckles)

resident

Single-Sixer
I voted no because of past experience with dirty ammo. A rimmed case will extract from a cylinder even if it's split or dirty. A stuck rimless case requires additional manipulation (or a dowel) to get it extrected unless the half-moon clips are used and THEN you must be willing to extract at least THREE at a time. If all THREE are stuck...wow...what a chore...if you're in a hurry to reload. Even an auto pistol is faster to clear.

Revolvers should be loaded with rimmed cartridges. IMHO (at least the DA ones. SA's should pose no special problem however.)

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Nobody will buy a SA(The 45 Colt/ACP convertible fills those shoes) & S&W have the market wrapped up in 6 rnd DA.(So, why butt heads?)

The 45acp seems the perfect candidate for a 5 rnd DA wheelgun.

Big, slow, subsonic 230gn or a little quicker 200gn.

Charter Arms has been dragging their feet on their CARR, "Rimshot" in 9mm, .40 & .45.

Something is amiss and I speculate they don't wish to disclose the whole truth.

The clipless wheelgun sounds swell, yet it involves a more complex construction,

That's the beauty of the clips.

Besides being faster to load they are a simple design.

45acp ammo is available everywhere.

The perfect companion for the millions of 1911s floating around.

Drill the chambers where they'll headspace for those not in a hurry that don't care for the clips.

I prefer 3" tapered brl, yet I could live w/2 3/4" tapered, half lug.

Look to the original Charter Arms Bulldog for inspiration except in a 45 instead of 44.

Similiar to a S&W NG, but not 6 rnds, longer than 2.5" brl & not that expensive...

Remember how the NV wasn't going to replace the Vaquero?

Who wants that little grip frame that won't handle Ruger only loads?

A bunch of folks & a lot of them are the same folks that would love to have a 45acp wheelgun scaled back in a nice tight package.

44spl ammo costs roughly 1/3 more than 45acp & isn't nearly as available.

I like my SA 44spl & 45Colt and wouldn't dream of parting w/my old M-1917 N frame, yet a more compact DA 45acp would be welcome as well.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
resident":3qq8fxxw said:
I voted no because of past experience with dirty ammo. A rimmed case will extract from a cylinder even if it's split or dirty. A stuck rimless case requires additional manipulation (or a dowel) to get it extrected unless the half-moon clips are used and THEN you must be willing to extract at least THREE at a time. If all THREE are stuck...wow...what a chore...if you're in a hurry to reload. Even an auto pistol is faster to clear.

Revolvers should be loaded with rimmed cartridges. IMHO (at least the DA ones. SA's should pose no special problem however.)

Yep! Thats why I shoot .45 Auto Rim and speed loaders. I don't trust clips
if they get sprung they can tie a gun up.
JMO
Terry

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I love the .45 acp but in an auto. Would rather have the .45 LC or .44 special. Will do anything the acp will do and more. I would like to see Ruger come out with a lighter gun similar to Smiths Mountian gun but without costing $800. I have always felt Ruger gave excellent products and at a reasonable price. I have owned a Smith revolver in .45 acp and found it to be a pain loading and unloading moonclips. Yes extra ammo can be carried in extra moonclips but it is bulky . It's not like dropping a handful of cartridges in your front pocket.