Ruger in .45ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would You Buy A Ruger DA Revolver in .45 ACP If They Built It?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snake45

Hawkeye
They've made .45 ACP revolvers for, what, thirty, forty years?

Did you mean, why don't they make DA revolvers in .45 ACP?

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
Yes, I did mean DA Revolvers. And according to Ruger's website and catalog, the only thing offered in .45ACP is the P90 and P345. The only 45 offering they show in revolvers is 45 Long Colt. If they ever did offer a revolver in .45ACP I don't know. That's why I'm asking you folks. But they don't now unless it's not mentioned in their catalog or website.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Lack of demand perhaps? How many other 45ACP revolvers do you see long discussions on? How many other 45 ACP revolvers do you see stocked heavy on dealer's shelves? How many other 45ACP revolvers do you see folks shooting at the range?

More than likely, if they did offer one, 1/2 of everyone that said they buy one wouldn't, 1/4 would say it was too heavy and compare it to another model weighing 5 oz less, and 1/4 would actually buy it, shoot it and enjoy it. What's 1/4 of not many?

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
just my honest opinion, but 45ACP in a revolver is weak. I have shot 45 ACP in my blackhawk convertible, but I'd rather shoot 45colt.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Someone needs to tell Smith & Wesson to buy all those Mountain Guns, model 625's like the "JM" 4-incher and all the thousands of other double-action revolvers back because nobody wanted them in 45acp.

Bud (knuckles) :roll:

ranger7

Bearcat
knuckles":igadfn2s said:
Someone needs to tell Smith & Wesson to buy all those Mountain Guns, model 625's like the "JM" 4-incher and all the thousands of other double-action revolvers back because nobody wanted them in 45acp.

Have owned three 625s and a S&W 1917. They are some of my favorite wheel guns. My Performance Center 625 4 inch is extremely accurate and I can't think of any revolver that I would trade it for.

I'd be at the head of the line if Ruger offered a double action .45 ACP.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Wish I had never let this one get away...
45grp_3.jpg

deac45

Snake45

Hawkeye
ranger7":3qg1wzgg said:
knuckles":3qg1wzgg said:

Have owned three 625s and a S&W 1917. They are some of my favorite wheel guns. My Performance Center 625 4 inch is extremely accurate and I can't think of any revolver that I would trade it for.

I'd be at the head of the line if Ruger offered a double action .45 ACP.
I own two old 25-2s and a M1937 (1917). Lovely guns.

The principle (if not only) advantage to .45ACP in a DA revolver is that it can be reloaded almost instantly using the snowflake clips. :wink:

I'd hazard a guess that the 45acp revolver came about due to a military need to have a revolver that would shoot the same ammo as the 1911. Then it was picked up in the commercial market due to the surplus of post war ammo that was made available to the public. That circumstance doesn't exist anymore and so I doubt you'll see any more 45acp revolvers offered above what is already out there.

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
Lot of people not here tonight that would argue the .45ACP being weak. But they can't because they're dead. Actually, I believe that low velocity is one of it's strong points. A big hunk of lead that dumps it's energy quickly and causes a lot of discontent on impact.

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
jimbo1096":2ujlv73o said:
I'd hazard a guess that the 45acp revolver came about due to a military need to have a revolver that would shoot the same ammo as the 1911. Then it was picked up in the commercial market due to the surplus of post war ammo that was made available to the public. That circumstance doesn't exist anymore and so I doubt you'll see any more 45acp revolvers offered above what is already out there.

Please explain why Smith & Wesson has reintroduced the M-1917 and they are selling like gang busters?

contender

Ruger Guru
One thing not mentioned is that S&W's enjoy a good following in the speed competition circles,, and Ruger wouldn't be able to compete with that. While it may be desirable to many,, the sales would be low I believe.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Well, I am a .45 ACP in a revolver fan. A BIG fan, I might add.

I have two S&W 625's (my most shot big bore revolvers - in fact, my most shot revolvers, period!)

Last fall I got a new Ruger SS Bisley 5½ .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. I DID have to ream both cylinders. However, that done (also had a trigger job done and modified the original pawl to a free spin pawl). It is an excellent revolver in .45 ACP AND .45 Colt. In .45 ACP it makes a near perfect target single action centerfire with 200 gr SWC bullets. If you like a single action for self defense or a house gun, it makes a superb piece for that little chore. Further, when loaded with a 250 gr SWC it makes a right decent relatively short range deer pistol (it can drive a 250 gr Keith bullet at 900+ fps and that will neatly put a deer's four feet in the air if the hunter does his part).

Using the .45 Colt cylinder and heavy charges of 2400 or H110 behind a 250-300 gr bullet and you have an "Elk Stomper".

Pretty dern versatile if you ask me.

Small charges of powder are much better handled in the .45 ACP cases (and there are tons of "once fired" .45 ACP cases available at most reasonable prices), so I will be shooting more of them than .45 Colts. Here is the convertible with the .45 ACP cylinder:

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0386.jpg

Dale53

Dale53

Blackhawk
ismcgunnery0369;
The Ruger Blackhawk convertible is not headspaced for Auto Rim cartridges - just works with .45 ACP. It's not a problem, however, just use .45 ACP cases...

Dale53