Ruger GP-100 sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steven2002

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger GP-100. I comes with a black front sight, I find when I shoot it the black sight becomes almost invisible against the black center of the target. I have been on other forums and it was recommended to put HiVis sights on it, however I have a Buckmark .22 with HiViz sights that seen to disappear when I shoot at an indoor range. Any suggestions?

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Your range must have a somewhat dark firing line. The fiber optic sights needs light to make them bright. I have a few guns with fiberoptics, and they all work best outdoors. My GP had a black front sight too, and I replaced it with a (now discontinued) Millet blaze orange front. You could probably use the accessory Redhawk colored front sights, the red blade would be my first pick, followed by perhaps yellow if red didn't work out. IIRC, the Redhawk sights will drop right in, but may be wider at the base that GP sights. I don't remember exactly. I do know I had to file fit a Millet GP sight to my Redhawk when I got it. The RH accessory sights are also taller, so you'll need to adjust your sights when you're done.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Use a 6:00 hold. that is what target shooters have done for ever. That black blade will then be against a background that will contrast.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Marbles makes a good drop in front FO sight for the GP's and the SRH's.

About $15 .... I really like them.

REV

brushunter

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Marbles makes a good drop in front FO sight for the GP's and the SRH's.

REV

I agree , I put the marbles green front with a "one ragged hole" rear on a SRH , great hunting combination. I put the green fiber optic on my GP ...works for me , but I only shoot outside ... no indoor ranges.

regards , brushunter

Thel

Blackhawk
If you can find one I would also use a blaze orange Millett. It has been discontinued. Have one on my GP100. My SP101 has an Express Sights Standard Dot on it and I
can find it readily on an indoor range albeit it is not a good target sight. When I used the 4 color Redhawk sights Ruger sells in dimlight the yellow and white worked
best. With a little filing they should fit but are a bit taller than the GP sight so may need some height reduction.

DPris

Buckeye
I put the orange Ruger front blade on my newest GP.
It can still disappear if the light's TOO dim, but works much better overall than the black blade that came on it.
Ordered a spare, too.
They drop right in.
Denis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can paint or put nail polish on your existing front sight. White, orange or red are the most popular colors. You can replace your front sight with a red insert one. You can replace your front sight with a HiViz that comes with six pipes in three different colors.

I have tried all those options and the one that worked best for me was the HiViz front sight with 6 pipes. I use the red one and it works in all conditions including low light in the house.

Go over to shopruger.com and look at the front sights available.

http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/24/

DPris

Buckeye
I should have been more specific, mine's the $15.95 GP sight with red insert. :)
Cheap, easy to install, works fine, no filing necessary.
Denis

Latest posts