Ruger Deerfield?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has anyone ever heard of this particular carbine? They are advertising it as being made in 2000 - 2006. I cannot find anything about it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/591749062

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah, I've seen a couple for sale at the Conroe Gun Show.
They strike me as being a cross between a Mini-14 and an over-grown 10-22.
Personally, as deer guns go, I wouldn't trade my old Winchester 30-30 for a boat load of 'em....

....but that's just me.

DGW

I could have sworn I had seen a .44 mag semi auto before 2000. Not a bad price if it shoots. One customer reneged. The seller states as is. What does that mean?
gramps

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The one in the link is a wood stock thats been camo dipped or whatever. Never seen a 99/44 or heard of one with a synthetic stock. They were blued with an uncheckered birch stock. It was always one on my gotta get someday list but I waited to long.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
rugerjunkie said:
The one in the link is a wood stock thats been camo dipped or whatever. Never seen a 99/44 or heard of one with a synthetic stock. They were blued with an uncheckered birch stock. It was always one on my gotta get someday list but I waited to long.
My mistake. You are right . I was thinking of the 9mm/40 cal carbine when I said synthetic stock.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Not sure why they quit making them. Slow sales I assume. Too many people like me that wanted one but never got around to it. I can't recall hearing any real problems with them from the guys that shoot them...

DGW1949

Hunter
gramps said:
I could have sworn I had seen a .44 mag semi auto before 2000. Not a bad price if it shoots. One customer reneged. The seller states as is. What does that mean?
gramps

I gots no idea why the first buyer backed out, but the seller has defined "as is" as "no refund, no exchange"....which perty-much tells me that should the gun have any problems, he aint taking it back.
Given that, and given that the gun in question has been out of production for 10 years, and given that we know nothing of it's history other than it's been tinkered with to some extent...me thinks that the better question would be whether or not Ruger still provides parts and service for it.

But that's just me...I aint a "pig in a poke" kind of guy.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
from the Ruger website. Deerfield (manufactured from 2000 to 2006)

rugerjunkie said:
Exactly. I love mine. It has an action similar to the Mini-14 with a 4 round rotary magazine. :D

A short article. http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_deerfield.htm

Huskerfan

Bearcat
If there is a place to get parts for these I'd really like to find it. Picked up one of these pretty cheap but the guy had filed down the plastic on top to make a scope fit without rubbing and when shooting the action will pop out of the slide when all the way back. Is the action something ruger would work on if contacted them about it? Also would like to replace the plastic piece on top. Thanks!

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Ruger's website states that no parts or service is available for the Deerfield carbine. The seller is smart to list it "as is", reason is the buyer could strip the good guts out, replace them with their parts they can't get anymore and return it. Honest people don't think that way but it happens. All my guns are listed that way. Check the guy's feedback. There is a nicer looking one on GB right now but of course you take the same chance. Buying a discontinued/used firearm online is not for the faint of heart. If the lack of certainty is a major concern, just keep haunting gun shows and local shops.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Numrich has many parts for the Deerfield.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=deerfield

Midway also.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-0%3FNo%3D0%26Np%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D48%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1%26Ntt%3Druger%2Bdeerfield

also some Mini-14 parts will work.

rugerjunkie said:
Jimbo,
What ammo do you shoot and
what do you see for typical accuracy?
For factory ammo I found either Federal American Eagle 240gr hollowpoints or Winchester White Box 240gr jacketed rounds work well. For my handloads I use 24.0gr of H-110 under a 240gr XTP bullet. Whatever ammo you choose make sure it is full power 44 magnum stuff. Accuracy is usually a 5-shot group into 3" at 50 yards for me, sometimes better, using a 4X scope or a Red Dot sight. :D

Huskerfan, call Ruger and ask if they have that top cover. You never know? Repairing the action, I doubt it. :D

Arky

Single-Sixer
In the 80's I was with a small grocery wholesaler that supplied a broad line to rural stores. We sold a lot of ammo. I remember customers asking me for the special 44 mag ammo designed for the Ruger semi. I cannot remember if we found any such thing or not. Does anyone remember it?
In 1965 I was going to buy one and my Dad said to get the 30-06. "You will only have one gun so make it one that does anything". It was one of the few things he was wrong about.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Arky said:
In 1965 I was going to buy one and my Dad said to get the 30-06. "You will only have one gun so make it one that does anything". It was one of the few things he was wrong about.
That would have been a Ruger 44 Carbine made in two versions from 1961 - 1985. :D

chet15

Hawkeye
Arky said:
We sold a lot of ammo. I remember customers asking me for the special 44 mag ammo designed for the Ruger semi. I cannot remember if we found any such thing or not. Does anyone remember it?

Since the 44 Carbine had a tube magazine it was recommended that only flat-nose ammo be used in it.
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
GAO LLC said:
Ruger's website states that no parts or service is available for the Deerfield carbine. The seller is smart to list it "as is", reason is the buyer could strip the good guts out, replace them with their parts they can't get anymore and return it. Honest people don't think that way but it happens. All my guns are listed that way. Check the guy's feedback. There is a nicer looking one on GB right now but of course you take the same chance. Buying a discontinued/used firearm online is not for the faint of heart. If the lack of certainty is a major concern, just keep haunting gun shows and local shops.

MOST of Ruger's designs are discontinued, and not serviced by Ruger
My Deerfield runs great, very dependable and accurate as a 44RM semi-auto can be. Magazines are still available as is at least one aftermarket scout-type mount rail.

Latest posts