Ruger Blackhawk in military service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I recall a while back there was some discussion of seeing Ruger Blackhawks in Vietnam and there were some photos to go with it. Does anyone have anything on that? I remember the oddest thing I recall seeing once was a 6 1/2 inch .357 Blackhawk still in its box with paperwork from a PX in Ethiopia. I wish now I had bought that gun just for the paperwork and the story. It would have been interesting to see how that gun got to Ethiopia (it looked like it never was used much once it got there though).

wapiti22

Blackhawk
That was back in the day when Military Exchanges sold firearms. Today, few do. I bought my first Ruger, a 4" Security Six, stainless, at the Navy Exchange at Barbers Point Naval Air Station in Hawaii in 1979. Paid $180. That air station doesn't exist today.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My friend bought this one new at a PX in Japan. I believe he said it cost him around $75. He took it to an engraving school there and the master of the school did the engraving. It also had Ivorys on it that he said set him back the tidy sum of $15. Those were the days.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Served with a guy in 'Nam that carried a Ruger in a shoulder rig. Not sure what model. This was
'65 -'66, and all kinds of stuff was carried. Thompsons, grease guns, .38's, 1911's, Lugers, AK's, shotguns, you name it, somebody was packin' it.

Army Aviators in my day, as well as aircrew members, were issued Victory Smith's.

I remember one of my pilots carried his personal single action of some kind, but I no longer remember what he carried. And if any more pilots carried a S/A, I no longer remember that either.

If any local Commander would have made an issue of it, he could have prevented any of us from carrying a personal weapon. But as a survival weapon, making an issue of it never happened.

WAYNO.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
See Dougan's Ruger Pistols & Revolvers book, page 263 for a photo of a Marine in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, May 13 1965 with a drawn 6.5" Blackhawk searching for a sniper.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I recently spoke with a gentleman working the gun counter at a local farm/home/outdoor store. He told me that he had been in the Air Force during Vietnam as part of an air crew (didn't say what he flew in) and carried a .357 Blackhawk. I thought that was pretty cool!

I remember seeing a National Guard noncom carrying a 6" Standard Model .22 auto in a holster meant for a 1911 during some ruckus or other at UC Berkeley in the 1960s. Maybe he was the "kinder, gentler, NGUS"!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
.38 was std issue in 'nam as well as .45acp, 7.62, 5.56, 12 gage, etc. . Other calibers were available locally or by mail from folks in the states, or bring it with you.

croesus

Bearcat
I bought a pristine OM 4 5/8 Blackhawk a two years ago. The revolver came with the box and original receipt. The receipt was from the Marine Corps Exchange, Camp Pendleton in 1968. Sold to Navy Commander for $78.95.

I recall seeing a photo some years back, might have been one of the Time Life coffee table books, on Vietnam. The photo depicted a soldier looking inside a tunnel complex. He was carrying what looked to be an OM Blackhawk, 7 1/2 barrel.

calvin

Bearcat
Perhaps I could add something to this subject.
IN the late 50's I was station at a U. S. Army
base in Eritera (which was at that time, a providence of Ethiopia).
I, along with everial members of my unit purchased Ruger Blackhawks in various barrell lengths from the base Post Exchange.
These privately owned firearms were secured at the base armory and "checked out" whenever desired for off duty use.
And as GI's have done in the past, and will do in the future, sometimes
these pistols were also found in holsters while on duty.
Calvin

stevemb

Hunter
My uncle flew them little spotter planes in WW2. His main armament was a Colt .38 Police Positive thats here now. Friend was stationed in Germany as an MP.. He packed an early SS Redhawk .44. He's a big guy and it didn't stand out on him. He was the squads M-60 gunner when a field.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I need to look through my 30 Carbine books, as I recall a story told by an Army or Air Force lineman in VietNam who carried a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine while climbing poles.

edlmann

Blackhawk
USAF Pararescuemen (PJs) stationed in Alaska carried (maybe still do) Ruger Super Blackhawks in .44 Mag for bear insurance. I remember seeing a few personal weapons in RVN, including a Blackhawk and S&W 28, both in .357.

holo07

Single-Sixer
Wow good stuff here, when I served it was either .45 or 9mm the change was being made then

rgp375

Bearcat
My understanding is that one of the reasons Ruger did Blackhawk convertibles in .357/9mm and .45 Colt/ACP was for military guys who wanted a single action because they could carry a personal weapon but it had to be in a DoD issue caliber. No idea if my source of information was correct on that but that is what I was told sometime about 1990.

eveled

Hawkeye
Not sure if you saw this post from awhile ago. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188285

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
In November 1968 near Bam Me Thout my platoon recovered two burned to death Loach pilots...both were packing Smith & Wesson 38s.