Ruger Blackhawk gunsmith question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyocaddis

Bearcat
Afternoon. I have a Ruger Lipsey's Flattop Bisley. While shooting this revolver the loading gate looses tension and will flop open during a shooting session. I have noticed that the spring under the gate slips forward under recoil. Causeing the gate to swing open. I have to remove the cylinder, depress the spring and push it back under the loading gate. What is the best way to remedie this issue,

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have a flat top .44 special that was doing the same thing. I replaced the loading gate spring and it has been working fine since. The cause is, I believe, that the little hook end of the gate spring that is supposed to lock into the groove around the trigger pin is just a little too wide to properly seat in the pins groove allowing it to slide forward under recoil. A new spring fixed mine but possibly grinding that area just a little narrower so it can go into the pins groove would be just as good a fix.

That said, mine would lock up completely,The loading gate could not be opened and the hammer could not be cocked or could I remove the cylinder. I had to remove the grip frame to free it up so I could get the cylinder out to even unload it. It happened on the 13th shot from the factory. I put everything back in place and it locked up again on the 8th or 9th shot. After replacing the spring It has been fired about 80 shots without issue. More testing will be done soon.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I found you can use a very small, thin screw driver (like the one that fits the rear sight windage screw) to lift it back into place. My brand new flattop does it too -- disappointing. A close look reveals poor fitting and sloppy machine/hand work. I am going to send mine back to Ruger.

Wyocaddis

Bearcat
Thanks for help and suggestions. I own several Blackhawks this is the first time I have run into this issue. Love this flattop and is a great shooter :)
groups shot at25yds rested. MBW 250gr plainbase RCBS SWC

44Spl_zps79dadb36.jpg

David_L6

Bearcat
Wyocaddis said:
Thanks for help and suggestions. I own several Blackhawks this is the first time I have run into this issue. Love this flattop and is a great shooter :)
groups shot at25yds rested. MBW 250gr plainbase RCBS SWC

44Spl_zps79dadb36.jpg

I have a Lipsey's Flattop that I wish would come close to groups like that. I can't get 6 of 6 shots on a 12" target at 25 yards shooting from a rest with either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. I'm waiting on a response from Ruger as I type this...

Jim Puke

Hunter
The loading gate issue and, to some extent, the accuracy issue seem to be recurring problems with these flattops.

David_L6

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
The loading gate issue and, to some extent, the accuracy issue seem to be recurring problems with these flattops.

Mine is going back to Ruger. Supposed to be picked up by UPS Monday.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I have a Lipsey's Flattop that I wish would come close to groups like that. I can't get 6 of 6 shots on a 12" target at 25 yards shooting from a rest with either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. I'm waiting on a response from Ruger as I type this...[/quote]

I'll bet you have an over tightened barrel that has resulted in "thread choke". MIne has it, too -- although mine will shoot lousy 4 - 5" groups at 25 yards. Still a far, far cry from the accuracy potential of the load. Ruger touts that they have gone to a Lean Production System -- maybe they should match that with a decent SPC program to monitor and manage critical manufacturing quality attributes.