Ruger Bearcat: finger groove grip help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Hello I'm looking for suggestions or a source for a set of grips for a ruger Bearcat. What I'm specifically looking for is a set with finger grooves. And does anyone know which Tyler t grips may fit with slight modifications. Thank you BB

I have a few Bearcats and have looked at various grips from many places and never have I seen any finger groove style. I am thinking that they would have to be 'special' made to your particular hand so the grooves would fit YOU.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What Fox Mike said.

Find the fattest pair of after market grips for your Bearcat and grind in the finger grooves to fit your hand. Or search for a custom grip maker that will make just what you want.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
How could you do finger grooves on a bearcat? Grip is too small to get all your fingers on it. You would have to have hands the size of a 5 year old.

protoolman said:
How could you do finger grooves on a bearcat? Grip is too small to get all your fingers on it. You would have to have hands the size of a 5 year old.
By really 'choking up' on the grip I can get two and 1/4 fingers to touch the grip. Normally my little finger is under the grip. I have some thin cottonwood sheets. I may try to make a 'finger grove' grip and see how it works out.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I went a different way. Picked up an aftermarket pair of Super Blackhawk grips and whittled them down to fit my OM Bearcat. Left them nice and fat and added the small Bearcat medallions:

xlarge.jpg

Also changed to the NM Bearcat wide spur hammer but kept the OM action w/o transfer bar.

I use a Colt 22 Peacemaker ejector button on my Bearcat and small frame Rugers. This one is a 32 H&R Mag Super Single Six Magnum.

standard.jpg

I tried to set up an old set I had made to grind finger grooves but immediately ran into a problem. The groove, that would be for the middle finger, is directly over the grip bushing and would interfere with a proper groove. The left grip would have to be about twice the normal thickness to get a proper groove without interference.

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Sorry for not adding to this post... been very busy.
I'm working on a prototype long grip with finger grooves. My friend who owns Tilander grips is helping me at the moment. Will update post as progress is made

Hondo44 said:
The finger groove grips I've cut get pretty shallow by the time they reach far enough back to be over the grip screw bushing.
My middle finger wraps far enough around to touch my thumb when I grip the Bearcat and my first joint, of that finger, is directly over the grip screw bushing. That is what I was going by. Perhaps a smaller hand with a shorter middle finger wouldn't have that problem.