Ruger Barreled Upper MK IV for $17.99 ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
What is a Barreled receiver? Its either a barrel or a receiver.

I suspect its simply a barrel, with no bolt or internal components.

Regardless, looks like a deal to me. But after you add all the other parts, is it really?

Well, the seller is an FFL who has been on GunBroker for about 12 years, with almost 14,000 transactions - they do have some negative feedback, but it's less than 1%, and they're a "Top 25 Seller" on the website. Looks pretty legit to me! Keep in mind, GunBroker charges the buyer sales tax and some kind of fee for each transaction, and you'll also have your transfer FFL's fee to pay (unless you're licensed yourself).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
What is a Barreled receiver? Its either a barrel or a receiver.

I suspect its simply a barrel, with no bolt or internal components.

Regardless, looks like a deal to me. But after you add all the other parts, is it really?
I understand a barreled receiver to be a receiver with a barrel attached to it..... whether threaded, pinned, etc...

His picture indicates a serialized receiver with a barrel on it.....

Seems like a smokin deal..... if it's real

What do you call this?

View attachment 24536

Well, I guess that is up to what the ATF wants to call it. Unfortunately. But as far as the MKIV is considered, ATF 27 478.12 is as follows:

IMG_7647.jpeg

hittman

Staff member
Ahh…. Barrel v receiver / 45ACP v. 40 Cal / clip v Magazine / 45 Colt v. 45 LONG Colt …. All a distraction from the original question ….

I don't know if the seller or the product is legit but on the surface it sure seems good!

The ATF considers the part with the serial number to be the receiver, they don't care about barrels. Take the barrel off and it's still a receiver. To a gunsmith, a receiver with an installed barrel is a "barreled receiver."
Agreed. I think it's interesting though that the ATF considers the AR platform serialized lower a "receiver" and the MKIV serialized upper a "Frame".

Dan in MI

Staff member
it's very likely legit. As stated VQ sells take offs for $35 and they have a ten pack deal for much less per unit.

And for what it's worth, on the Ruger MK series the receiver is the serialized part. Rarely is the barrel separate as they can be difficult to separate.

"What is a Barreled receiver? Its either a barrel or a receiver.

I suspect its simply a barrel, with no bolt or internal components."
It's common to refer to a Ruger MK or 22/45 receiver with barrel as a 'barreled receiver (or upper)'. A bit of AR 15 terminology stolen and recycled.
A couple of the MK/22-45 customizers often have really low prices on 'take off uppers'. Reminder: FFL is required for those serialized parts. This adds ??$$ to the price of the part as does the various completion parts.