Ruger AR question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm a handgun guy so I'm only marginally knowledgeable on rifles.

I am trading for a Ruger AR variant. Talking with a friend he said he heard that Ruger's aren't fully interchangeable with mil spec parts. Fact or fiction? If fact, do you know what it applies to?

gunzo

Hunter
I cannot say fact, but on the early ones, the front sight & delta ring configuration are 2 mentioned. Two nearly irrelevant parts if you plan to leave things alone. If you start changing stuff, the 2 more things to deal with.

The rest, ?????

9x19

Hunter
Yes, front sight pinned on opposite side and delta ring assembly is some odd screw part instead of spring loaded.

I always recommend the S&W Sport over the Ruger... If the rest of the free world can follow the common specs, why not Ruger?

9x19

Hunter
To be clear, there is nothing functionally wrong with the standard Ruger AR, I just don't want to encourage bad behavior.

They do better with their MPR models (no front sight and a free-float hand guard).

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
Yes, front sight pinned on opposite side and delta ring assembly is some odd screw part instead of spring loaded.

I always recommend the S&W Sport over the Ruger... If the rest of the free world can follow the common specs, why not Ruger?
S&W makes a great AR. In fact, I own the Sport I.
Ruger did an excellent job when it introduced the screw type delta ring. I can change out my hand guards without needing a third hand or any tools. As far as the front sight pins, who cares. They work, right?

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I own just one AR: a Ruger AR556. It's not expensive or fancy but is very well built and more accurate that its owner. The only modification I made was to add a scope. That's it. It's fine right out of the box.

akbluz

Blackhawk
Love my AR556 (one of the early ones). I added a scope for my 74y/o eyes - but no other mods. It may not be a "precision rifle" but it's perfect for me. I've been reloading a bit to feed it and really enjoy shooting it. Plus my grandsons really enjoy ringing steel with it also. What else can I say, it's a Ruger.