Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creed velocity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huskers

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone has hooked a chrono up to their predator?

I'm looking at getting a custom scope and would like to know bullet velocity for a Hornady 143 grain ELD-X round through a predator with 22" barrel and 1:8 twist ratio.

Anyone out there have any idea on this?

pisgah

Buckeye
Never chrono'd one, but figure on around 2600 fps, plus or minus maybe 40-50 fps. There'll be small variances not only for barrel length but between different rifles of the same barrel length.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
My thinking is.if you are going to spend the money for a "custom" scope then spend some money on a chronograph and run YOUR loads through YOUR gun so you know exactly what you got vs using someone else's numbers which may be close but why bother with that scope if all it takes to satisfy you is close enough...

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Get your drops by actually shooting. Thatta way you don't need a pesky chronograph, and your 'custom scope' will really be correct. Of course that would mean spending money on components or ammo and getting off the couch to shoot, but it is kinda funny to see what all folks will go thru, to get out of actually shooting.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
huntsman22 said:
Get your drops by actually shooting. Thatta way you don't need a pesky chronograph, and your 'custom scope' will really be correct. Of course that would mean spending money on components or ammo and getting off the couch to shoot, but it is kinda funny to see what all folks will go thru, to get out of actually shooting.

That's just crazy talk.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
You mean take the gun outside?!!!
Like huntsman said the best way is shoot your gun with the loads you use and get it right, then you know what you have.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
huntsman22 said:
That's obviously the best way to get the info but, the problem is finding a club with a long enough rifle range to actually do long range shooting. If the longest range you have available is 200 yards, you aren't going to get enough useful drop data. Clubs with 300 yard or more, preferable a lot more, ranges are pretty rare.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I have access to shoot more than one mile at land owned by our club. Although I have never tried it. I did help a member set up to shoot at 500, 750, and a 1000 yards. I first calculated where the loads should hit using various tables. The results were eye opening, all loads shot lower than expected, some more than one foot .

pisgah

Buckeye
huntsman22 said:
Get your drops by actually shooting. Thatta way you don't need a pesky chronograph, and your 'custom scope' will really be correct.

True. One thing you can absolutely bank on is that no chart or fancy scope takes in to account the inescapable truth that no two rifles on earth are identical.