Ruger American in 243 bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger243

Bearcat
first time poster

I just purchased a Ruger American in 243. I am concerned there is an issue with bolt and bullet cycle.
When I try to load a round I must apply some serious pressure to get the bolt to turn down. If I go slow it will not turn down at all.

I could not find reviews that mentioned this problem, so I joined here to get some help.

Thanks,

Ruger243

Bearcat
Define well please.

Rifle was purchased in 10/30/13
The bolt is really clean.
I have not taken it apart to give it a thorough cleaning though.

Ruger243

Bearcat
I just inspected it and it is shiny clean inside. Bore is nice and clean as well

Ruger243

Bearcat
With no bullet the cycle action is easy. I have tried two different types of ammo and it still the same. I feel like I am slamming the bolt into the barrel

TnShooter83

Bearcat
The bolt may be slightly harder to close with a round chambered.
But it should not be ALOT harder to close. If it is you have 1 of 2 problems.
The ammo is out of spec, the chamber is out of spec.

Ruger243

Bearcat
TnShooter83 said:
The bolt may be slightly harder to close with a round chambered.
But it should not be ALOT harder to close. If it is you have 1 of 2 problems.
The ammo is out of spec, the chamber is out of spec.

Since I tried two different brands of ammo the the chamber is out of spec.

I guess I need to contact Ruger on Monday morning to see what they can do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Bearhands

Bearcat
I have one in 243 also... Everything about the gun has functioned flawlessly, smooth as silk... I would call Ruger too

By the way, I LOVE it and wonder why it has taken me so long to go "243" ;)

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I have a .243 and a .308 Compact - they both load & chamber easily and all the cartridges fired in both are handloads.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

oilcangary

Single-Sixer
I have one in 308 and it has a little resistance as the bolt starts to close. It sort of snaps past this spot and closes smooth .

I have two M77's - in .243 and .308. The first few times (10-12 rounds) I shot them they both felt a little "stiff" and not near as smooth as my Winchester model 70. (But nothing like you are describing.) After a few more trips to the range they both have really smooth actions.

I think you should definitely contact Ruger.

Ruger243

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback.

Andrew from Ruger stated that it should take more force to close the bolt because the action was different from their other rifles. I explained to him that it should not take this amount of force to close the bolt.

RMA number has been issued and UPS will be picking up the box :D 2 to 3 week turn around time

oilcangary

Single-Sixer
Ruger243 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Andrew from Ruger stated that it should take more force to close the bolt because the action was different from their other rifles. I explained to him that it should not take this amount of force to close the bolt.

RMA number has been issued and UPS will be picking up the box :D 2 to 3 week turn around time
I guess mine isn't as bad as yours because I'm just going to let mine wear itself in.