Ruger American 7.62x39 Range and function report.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FINALLY got my American 7.62x39 to the range today. The very first thing that happened was failure to extract a spent round. This was consistent with 5 different brands of ammo, one steel and 4 brass. Unfired rounds would extract and eject just fine. SOOOOOOO! Another gun to go back to Ruger. THAT doesn't even surprise me at this point. :evil:

On the upside accuracy was "fair". 3-shot groups averaged 1 1/2" with spread of 1 1/4" to 2 1/8" @ 100 yds. It was windy and cold today. May be better on a calm day. Used a Tru-glo compact 4 power scope. A better optic may help also.

Still, a disappointing day other than my Grandson was with me. He shot my very accurate 10/22 and had a good time.

Dave

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Can't excuse the FTE but the accuracy is not far off what I got even with CZ 527 rifles in 7.62x39.. I tested three CZ carbines in x39 for a custom rifle business to see if any of the factory barrels might be 'hummers' before being pulled off to rebarrrel to 6.5 Grendel.. 1.5" @ 100 was average.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Alan in GA said:
.. 1.5" @ 100 was average.
It's amazing what we've come to expect in the way of accuracy from off-the-shelf rifles. Years ago a 2" gun was considered good and 1" was the stuff of song and story. Now under 1" is expected and any rifle that won't do that is a disappointment.

hittman

Staff member
Seems the only rifle made in 7.62 x 39 to function properly right out of the box is an AK47.

Well .... there were a few Ruger #1's in that caliber so I suppose that one may be the exception!

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Seems the only rifle made in 7.62 x 39 to function properly right out of the box is an AK47.

Well .... there were a few Ruger #1's in that caliber so I suppose that one may be the exception!

Got a No.1A in 'x39' and going to put an old Weaver K10 on it to see what she can do on target.
I have owned several factory CZ 527 bolt rifles and have easily gotten excellent accuracy out of them in 17 Rem, 17 Hornady Hornet, 17 Mach IV (cut chamber off the factory 17 Rem varmint barrel and rechambered to Mach IV), 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 223 Rem.
With a little time trying more handloads I imagine the CZ 7.62x39 might give good accuracy as well.
CZ factory barrels give as close to aftermarket custom barrel accuracy as I've ever seen., with the exception of a few 7.62x39 barrels.

I received my RAR 7.62x39 from Ruger today. The extractor, spring, and detent were replaced. Test fired 20 rounds with no malfunctions. Now for range time.....

Ruger letter

My 6th complimentary Ruger cleaning cloth "for my inconvenience" :roll:

Dave

black029

Single-Sixer
Man, you are the living embodiment of bad luck. I've bought 6 new Rugers since late 2015 and have been golden, although 2 recent GP100's feel like butter but haven't hit the range yet. Maybe all the cases will stick, or I'll get light strikes. I always cherry pick the best of several in the dealers, so I do see a few that start out a little rougher.
But 6 new cleaning cloths is discouraging.

hittman

Staff member
black029 said:
But 6 new cleaning cloths is discouraging.

Really?
I've gotta trek thru the freezing rain to the local store to get mine and here this guy has 'em delivered straight from the factory! :wink: :lol:

Well, finally got this rifle shooting good. I installed a Vortex Diamondback 1.5-5x33 scope. After I finally got it zeroed it proved to really like Hornady Black 123gr SST ammo. Repeatedly shot Sub-MOA. I need to iron out some feeding issues but otherwise am happy. Once again WAYNO was present with his American 7.62x39 too. His performed about like mine and also had a couple of feeding issues. We will iron out those problems and should be good to go! :D

Dave

Nrut

Bearcat
Hello Heliman,
Mine would not feed from the left side of the DMB and not very well from the right side..
CONGRATULATIONS Ruger!

I did a little filing with a chainsaw file, grinding with a dremel and sanding to smooth the feed ramp..
If I work the action smartly it feeds pretty good now..