Ruger American 270 Win?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kachok

Bearcat
The owner of the local range/gun store has just about talked me into a new Ruger American Stainless, it sure is a slick little quick pointer much like my Tikka, my only reservation is the one Ruger centerfire I do own is not up to par with my Savages for accuracy though it is probably close to 20 years old. Does anyone here have any experience with the American especially in 270 Win? If so what kind of accuracy have you been able to get out of factory or hand loads?

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Kachok said:
The owner of the local range/gun store has just about talked me into a new Ruger American Stainless, it sure is a slick little quick pointer much like my Tikka, my only reservation is the one Ruger centerfire I do own is not up to par with my Savages for accuracy though it is probably close to 20 years old. Does anyone here have any experience with the American especially in 270 Win? If so what kind of accuracy have you been able to get out of factory or hand loads?
What a coincidence--I bought an American in 270 yesterday--see my thread for my impressions.

Goss

Bearcat
Very disappointed with the "American" model on many fronts, especially fit, finish and accuracy compared to the Older Models. Customers come in looking for a Ruger, then after handling it remark how poorly it's finished and put it back on the shelf in favor of another brand; can't say I blame them either.

Ruger Junkie

Bearcat
If you wanted fit, finish and quality, you should have bought one of the M77 Express rifles. But, nobody bought them and alas, they are gone! There have been over a quarter million of the American rifles made in 2 1/2 years. They are cheap and work. What do you expect for this price?

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I've got one in 7-08 on layaway. After recent shoulder surgery, I wanted less recoil in a 'whitetails only' rifle. No centerfire rifles allowed for deer hunting here in N.J., and I can only seem to afford an out-of-state hunt every few years, so for my limited use, and my budget, this might be ideal, especially if it shoots as well as many owners claim. :wink:

Kachok

Bearcat
Hey smoke do you handload? I have a 7mm-08 load with less felt recoil then a 243. Driving a 120gr Pro Hunter to around 2900fps. Shoots one ragged hole groups at 100 in my Browning.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Kachok said:
Hey smoke do you handload? I have a 7mm-08 load with less felt recoil then a 243. Driving a 120gr Pro Hunter to around 2900fps. Shoots one ragged hole groups at 100 in my Browning.

Thanks. I don't reload, but my Bro-In-Law does, so if I pick up a set of dies, maybe I can twist his arm.
The Mrs. and I took a trip to the new Cabela's in Delaware yesterday, to buy some mallard decoys, and we looked at the RAR Compact model, in 7-08, and now she's 'gotta have' one. Looks like we'll be off to the local gunshop tomorrow to order one for her. I prefer to support the local shops when I can. I like the idea of us both hunting with the same caliber.

Jeff

pisgah

Buckeye
Ruger Junkie said:
If you wanted fit, finish and quality, you should have bought one of the M77 Express rifles. But, nobody bought them and alas, they are gone! There have been over a quarter million of the American rifles made in 2 1/2 years. They are cheap and work. What do you expect for this price?

Careful, RJ -- you may get accused of having good sense! :wink: :D I am a fan of the American and, being a supreme cheapskate, a fan of the even-cheaper Savage Axis, as well. I always shake my head and utter an ironic chuckle when I hear someone complain about their "poor fit and finish", lousy stocks and triggers, etc., etc., etc. Get real folks -- they were designed and manufactured to meet what is an almost unbelievably low price point in today's market, and are still as reliable, safe and accurate as rifles costing 2, 3, 4, 5 times as much. They ain't works of art, and they won't appreciate in value decades down the road when your grandkids are trying to see how much they can get for your stuff, but they work and work well, and you can put a passel of them in different calibers in to your gun safe for the price of a couple of purty ones. Darned near perfect, IMO, if what you want is a solid, utilitarian tool and not an ego-stoker.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
I don't have the Ruger American but for the money it's a deal.
I would buy the stainless version in .270 Win and lap the barrel & locking lugs.
Might even use the fire lap method, like the Tubbs coated bullets.
NECO also sells a lap kit.
I bet I could get the American to shoot.....
Just sayin'....

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
pisgah said:
Ruger Junkie said:

Careful, RJ -- you may get accused of having good sense! :wink: :D I am a fan of the American and, being a supreme cheapskate, a fan of the even-cheaper Savage Axis, as well. I always shake my head and utter an ironic chuckle when I hear someone complain about their "poor fit and finish", lousy stocks and triggers, etc., etc., etc. Get real folks -- they were designed and manufactured to meet what is an almost unbelievably low price point in today's market, and are still as reliable, safe and accurate as rifles costing 2, 3, 4, 5 times as much. They ain't works of art, and they won't appreciate in value decades down the road when your grandkids are trying to see how much they can get for your stuff, but they work and work well, and you can put a passel of them in different calibers in to your gun safe for the price of a couple of purty ones. Darned near perfect, IMO, if what you want is a solid, utilitarian tool and not an ego-stoker.
My feeling is that you're buying the barrel--and then it's up to me to coax the best it can be out of it. The American is similar to the Axis in terms of the stock--though it can also be improved on. At first I hated these plasti-stocks, but have grown to like them--they are easily modified and I never fret about a rough hunt in the woods bashing them up. I have a few reservations about the trigger--but over-all I think the American is a big winner.

Chief 101

Hunter
Tuco Tom said:
I don't have the Ruger American but for the money it's a deal.
I would buy the stainless version in .270 Win and lap the barrel & locking lugs.
Might even use the fire lap method, like the Tubbs coated bullets.
NECO also sells a lap kit.
I bet I could get the American to shoot.....
Just sayin'....
I bet you can get one of these to shoot as good as my Rem 788...a blue collar rifle from another era...or maybe my Rem 600 Mohawk. Affordable rifles have always been there and always will be...

DDubya

Single-Sixer
Have a really nice Win. Model 70 made in 1950 in .270 that was given to me by my grandfather. Accurate and beautiful. Didn't want to get it banged up in the woods so I picked up a RAR in .270 Win. It's just as accurate, but not very beautiful. It's perfect for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's not cheap, it's just inexpensive.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Inexpensive is a better term. I don't think you can beat a Ruger American for the $$. If any of you are looking for one and don't have a good local source, PM me what you want. If it is one of the Standards or Compacts, I may have it at a price that will work for you. I am clearing my stock out.

Latest posts