Ruger 44 carbine ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Just got a new to me carbine and doing my first under the hood inspection(take down). Wondering what you guys that have them do about the piston ? Mine had dry residue around it and does not seem to move. I have not tried shooting it yet , but it just don't look right. Do you normally remove it and clean or just soak it with something ?

wwb

Hunter
Had on for many years, but sold it several years ago. I cleaned the entire gas system every 4 or 5 years - clean and dry, and gave it a light shot of powdered graphite. Never had a problem, and it was shot a lot.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I just found this very good article again. Step by step. Inch by inch. :D :D

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/10/04/24-photos-ruger-44-carbine-disassembly-cleaning-assembly/

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Thanks Jimbo, Now that there is a fine article. I also have a JB Wood book that covers it but this has some great pictures and tips.
Now I'm almost not afraid ,,,,,, And that's a little creepy in itself.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Well with the help of the JB Wood book (pretty fair description ) and the really important tips in the link from Jimbo it came apart AND went back together. No spare parts or nothing. The piston really has a different feel to it now (movement) . It took a pretty good beating to get it and the plug out. Frozen up with residue and also some lead in evidence. I don't think this gun would have worked even a little bit the way it was.
Now it's time to move on and find the right load.

pete44ru

Hunter
needsmostuff said:
Now it's time to move on and find the right load.

Upon pain of death, do NOT load un-jacketed/cast boolits - they will clog the gas system in a New York Minute.

Bill Ruger designed the gun around 240gr JSP factory loads.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
pete44ru said:
Upon pain of death, do NOT load un-jacketed/cast boolits - they will clog the gas system in a New York Minute.

Bill Ruger designed the gun around 240gr JSP factory loads.

Yup, pretty sure that is what I spent the afternoon digging out. That and a couple of years of zero maint.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A good slow burning powder and a jacketed 240gr bullet is what you want to make it work well. Try 23.0gr of H-110 and if need be go to 24.0gr. I like XTP bullets but Sierra and Remington have worked well also. If you want factory ammo I suggest Winchester White Box 240gr 44 magnums.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/753103/winchester-usa-ammunition-44-remington-magnum-240-grain-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-50

wwb

Hunter
As mentioned earlier, jacketed bullets only !!!!

Every rifle is a character unto itself, so you never know what will work the best until you try 'em all. I sold my carbine several years ago, and replaced it with a 96/44. Most accurate load in the 96 is 23.5 grains of Li'l Gun and a Speer 240 grain JSN. Just shy of 1900 fps, and a 1-3/4 inch group. Might work for you, might not.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Thanks Jimbo and wwb for those and will give them a try.
I always loves me some 296/H110 but have been looking at li'l gun for a .327fed project.

turbo111

Single-Sixer
gorilla_zps61f140ec.jpg