Ruger 44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
VinnieBoomBah said:
Oh, good lord! Don't buy it because it might break?
I don't think anybody said that. I don't even think that was inferred.
What was offered was some information about an older rifle design that a new to Ruger carbines person might not be aware of.
Your point about enjoying a classic rifle is also well taken. See we all have opinions that we can share.

VinnieBoomBah said:
Oh, good lord! Don't buy it because it might break? :roll: I mean, yeah, sure it might break, but what a tragedy life would be if every time we started to do something somebody ran up and told us all the things that could go wrong and we just sat back down again.

Just the advise of somebody that made the mistake of passing up to many opportunities because something "might go wrong," but I say buy it, shoot the snot out of it, show it off to your friends, maybe go hunting with it, let a kid shoot it for their big bore, hike and camp and explore with it. And if (or when it breaks) maybe you can get it fixed, or maybe you part it out and help out some other folks looking for parts. Or maybe you shove it in the back of the safe to pull out every now and than just to remember what a blast it was to shoot (FYI, they are a blast to shoot! :D )

And whats the worst that will come of it? Maybe you are out a couple hundred bucks?

Life is short, money comes and goes, and at twice your age I regret almost nothing I have done, but regret many, many things I didn't do, and many of those things that I didn't do where because I made the mistake of listening to 'what might go wrong.'

Be sure to post photos so we can all be jealous!

Just wanted to say I love this post. Spot on.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Well sir I have one I bought new in 1970 with a weaver scope....It was the first gun I ever bought, and will forever remain in my case...Its killed deer, coyotes, fox, and whatever with one shot....its still capable of shooting better than I can...now, since I'm no longer hunting, I take it out, clean it of dust, and talk about all the good times we had together...and the thrill of seeing my son kill his first deer with it on a splendid afternoon in our favorite hidey hole...memories are what make a gun special I believe..

Iowa just made it legal to hunt deer with straight walled pistol cartridge rifles during shotgun season.

My plan is to plant a big whitetail buck using my .44 finger groove sporter this year.
I can't imagine a better gun for the job!

VinnieBoomBah, +1000. :D

mac66

Single-Sixer
I got re-aquainted with the 44 mag about three years ago when I took my Redhawk to Alaska. Had to find some appropriate bear loads for it which got me reloading again. I killed a deer with it the fall before I went to Alaska. That got me interested in the 44 again and mentioning it to a friend he said he had a 44 Carbine he bought it new in the 70s and rarely shot it. I traded him for it last summer and killed a deer with it last fall. The quest continues as I picked up a used Marlin 44 mag this summer which I plan to hunt with this fall.

To be honest I didn't know the issues that the Ruger 44 carbine had before I traded for it. Mine doesn't have that issue but I wish I'd known it ahead of time.