Ruger 44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

380auto

Bearcat
Ladies and gentleman new member to this great forum, I'm a member at cast boolits as well and love all my rugers. A little about me, I'm currently a E-5 (sergeant) active duty army infantry stationed at Ft.Carson, CO. I'm on the younger side (22) but know and appreciate my guns. I reload and cast my projectiles as well. I've recently came across a Ruger 44 magnum semi auto carbine at the local pawn shop that has me really on the edge of buying it. Priced at $700 its making me hold back on purchasing it. Now I've always wanted one and ran across a few that have been in far worse shape than this one for around the same price range I've done my research on gunbroker as well. This one even has a leather sling and vintage scope mounted. Should I swing and buy it? Not everyday you see one around here.

Thank you!

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

Not enough info for us to tell.
You know the serial number so we can date it?
Is it a Deerstalker?
The sling means nothing to me but more details on the condition of the gun would. Near mint? 95%? 80%?
What brand scope? Some of the older / vintage scopes can be worth more than you may think.

380auto

Bearcat
hittman said:
Welcome to the Forum.

Not enough info for us to tell.
You know the serial number so we can date it?
Is it a Deerstalker?
The sling means nothing to me but more details on the condition of the gun would. Near mint? 95%? 80%?
What brand scope? Some of the older / vintage scopes can be worth more than you may think.

Thank you! I'd rate the rifle at a solid 80%. It's not the deerstalker model if I recall correctly it just says "Ruger model 44" on the barrel (don't quote me on that). The scope that is in it at the moment is an old weaver made in El Paso but I don't remember the model off the top of my head.

hittman

Staff member
Well, a couple of years back I sold a 44 Carbine I rated at 85%. The gun mechanically was excellent, no evidence of abuse like rust, cracks or gouges in the wood. Just good honest wear. No scope or sling and I got $600.00 for it in a private sale.

Some folks might value a 70's vintage Weaver in the $100 to $200 range ..... I don't know scopes well but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Is $700 a steal? No.
Better questions may be; Are you comfortable with it?
And; Any better condition 44 Carbines for sale in your area?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Those 44 carbines are pretty old now and not supported by Ruger anymore and parts are near impossible to find. Have you considered a more modern rifle? I own a Deerfield 44 magnum and even those are out of production and not supported by the factory anymore.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Those 44 carbines are pretty old now and not supported by Ruger anymore and parts are near impossible to find.
This is a significant issue if you want the rifle as a practical shooter, not as a collector's item. If something breaks, you are SOL unless you are willing to pay a gunsmith to make a part from scratch. If you plan to make it a safe queen, then that isn't as important.

avery53

Bearcat
380auto said:
Ladies and gentleman new member to this great forum, I'm a member at cast boolits as well and love all my rugers. A little about me, I'm currently a E-5 (sergeant) active duty army infantry stationed at Ft.Carson, CO. I'm on the younger side (22) but know and appreciate my guns. I reload and cast my projectiles as well. I've recently came across a Ruger 44 magnum semi auto carbine at the local pawn shop that has me really on the edge of buying it. Priced at $700 its making me hold back on purchasing it. Now I've always wanted one and ran across a few that have been in far worse shape than this one for around the same price range I've done my research on gunbroker as well. This one even has a leather sling and vintage scope mounted. Should I swing and buy it? Not everyday you see one around here.

Thank you!

Interesting thing here, I too was 22 at the time and stationed at Ft Carson in 71-72. I was in artillery, also a SGT (gunner).
I bought a 30-30 from a pawn shop while stationed there to hunt mule deer, I shot a decent buck up near Craig.
Colorado Springs was a much smaller place back in them days!

Anyway, for the price I would shop around a little, for $700 you should be able to find something nicer than an 80% gun for your money. JMO

Thanks for your service Sarge!

rangerbob

Buckeye
Another thing to consider, 380auto, is that they don't like cast bullets for reloading. The carbine was designed to shoot jacketed bullets only, and cast bullets mess up the gas system and I can tell you like to cast bullets. On the other hand, a steady diet of Hornady XTP's and H110 or WW 296 will make it run like a sewing machine. But if you break something, you are on your on. Bob :mrgreen:

380auto

Bearcat
Thank you for the responses gentleman I will most likely hold off on purchasing the rifle for now as I look for another. I was planning on shooting it more than an average person would as I love carbines. Also the non availability of parts is a concern.

380auto

Bearcat
avery53 said:
380auto said:

Thank you!

Interesting thing here, I too was 22 at the time and stationed at Ft Carson in 71-72. I was in artillery, also a SGT (gunner).
I bought a 30-30 from a pawn shop while stationed there to hunt mule deer, I shot a decent buck up near Craig.
Colorado Springs was a much smaller place back in them days!

Anyway, for the price I would shop around a little, for $700 you should be able to find something nicer than an 80% gun for your money. JMO

Thanks for your service Sarge!

Thank you! I have been at Fort Carson my entire career. Although I got picked up as a recruiter so well se where this goes now. I plan on coming back to the Springs once it's time to settle down. I absolutely love Colorado. (I'm from California)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Have you looked at the Ruger Mini-Thirty? A nice compact semi-auto with a wood stock. There are some good buys out there and the cartridge isn't hard to reload.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=5803-RUG&mfg=Ruger&mdl=Mini-Thirty&cat=All&type=All&cal=All&fin=&sit=&zipcode=33426

avery53

Bearcat
((( Thank you! I have been at Fort Carson my entire career. Although I got picked up as a recruiter so well se where this goes now. I plan on coming back to the Springs once it's time to settle down. I absolutely love Colorado. (I'm from California) )))

Yeah, Colorado is beautiful, too bad the liberals took over though!

I shoot lead boolits from my 44 carbine all the time. The old wives tale that they can't shoot lead has been repeated on the internet so many times that to some people it has become gospel. Just like garands and ARs can't shoot cast. That has been disproven so many times but people still believe it. As always proper boolit fit and the correct powder to operate the gas system are the keys to success.

pete44ru

Hunter

Other than the visible external metal/wood conditions, there are only two other mandatory checks to make before buying a tube-magazine Ruger .44 Auto Carbine.

The 1st is to look at the latch located at the rear of the loading gate on the bottom of the action - since that latch is usually depressed by the cartridge nose when loading the magazine, little or no (blued) finish wear indicates that it wasn't loaded/shot very much.

(AND, if unworn, will expand exponentially the chances of check #2 below having a positive result)

The 2nd , and more important (go/no-go), thing to check is the status of the interface which holds the forward end of the trigger guard housing to the bottom of the receiver.

The interface is the lug on the aluminum TG housing, which will eventually crack and/or break off, allowing the front of the TG housing (which contains the cartridge feed mechanism) to "float", causing jams that change an auto-loading rifle into a single-shot.

The status of the lug can be checked w/o dis-assembling the rifle via placing the butt on one's hip, with one hand holding the stock & the barrel securely, so any movement can be readily felt while the other had tries to move the front of the TG housing up/down.

To try to move the TG housing up/down, the hand that's not holding the barrrel/stock should have the thumb (or one finger) inserted up past the loading gate, into the rear of the magazine opening, with the other finger(s) are against the bottom/outside of the forward part of the housing.

The digit inside the magazine throat pulls "down" on the housing, and the outside digit(s) push "up", in alternate movements, sensing if there is movement of the front of the housing, relative to the receiver/stock.

ANY movement should be a deal-breaker, as the housing in an in-repairable item, also made of un-obtainium.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Consider a Henry lever action Big Boy Steel in 44 mag. You will get a similar effect. I have one and I love it. Ten Rounds in a tube magazine. Good
Luck!

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
If you like the Ruger 44 Carbine, I think you would like the rotary mag Ruger Deerfield even more. I have both, and the Deerfield is the most fun to shoot of any gun I own.

380auto

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies gentleman I haven't been back to see if the carbine has dropped in price, I actually do have a Marlin pre safety 44 I just think a semi auto 44 carbine would be fun to own.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I have one, it is marked Ruger Carbine .44 magnum cal. I looked up serial #, I think it was manufactured early 80s. Neat carbine I use for hogs in the brush. I bought it out of an estate sale for $500 about 5 years ago, somebody at one time chromed the barrel, not stainless but chromed. It will jam if I try to cycle ammo normally so I chamber a round and it works fine after that. Gunsmith says malfunctioning part is now unavailable and Ruger wont even mess with them anymore.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
Oh, good lord! Don't buy it because it might break? :roll: I mean, yeah, sure it might break, but what a tragedy life would be if every time we started to do something somebody ran up and told us all the things that could go wrong and we just sat back down again.

Just the advise of somebody that made the mistake of passing up to many opportunities because something "might go wrong," but I say buy it, shoot the snot out of it, show it off to your friends, maybe go hunting with it, let a kid shoot it for their big bore, hike and camp and explore with it. And if (or when it breaks) maybe you can get it fixed, or maybe you part it out and help out some other folks looking for parts. Or maybe you shove it in the back of the safe to pull out every now and than just to remember what a blast it was to shoot (FYI, they are a blast to shoot! :D )

And whats the worst that will come of it? Maybe you are out a couple hundred bucks?

Life is short, money comes and goes, and at twice your age I regret almost nothing I have done, but regret many, many things I didn't do, and many of those things that I didn't do where because I made the mistake of listening to 'what might go wrong.'

Be sure to post photos so we can all be jealous!