ruger 44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rong

Bearcat
Hello, I bought a Carbine 44 vintage '71
and this year I will hunt exclusively with
it, in the NH woods.
Has anyone had any experience with these
rifles as far as actually shooting deer?
I have the rifle shooting pretty good
with my handloads and my average shot
as history goes up here is 50 yds or less.
Any info is appreciated.
thanks-ron

dfletcher

Blackhawk
You're going to hunt deer in Deerfield with your Deerfield? Sorry, couldn't resist - I was raised a few miles south in Plaistow.

What weight & type bullets are you using? Scope, red dot or open sights? I think the 44 Magnum will work out to a touch less than 100 yds. I know it can be stretched beyond 100 yds if you hit some open space but I think I'd stay at or under. I'd pick the coldest, crappiest morning and take a few 75 yd shots with the rifle just to ensure it functions properly.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have one of the finger groove/cheek piece stocks that I took the cheek piece off of and re finished. Now I have trouble with the recoil block knicking chunks out of the stock.

Other than that it works fine on big hogs.

Bigpig210.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
240 gr SJHP or Jacketed bullet-factory loads ONLY. My best carbine shot into a coke can at 60 yards on the first (the only one that counts) shot. Deer die at that range with the Ruger Carbine!

Great woods gun. Easy to carry and easy to climb a tree. I've killed several bucks with mine using 240gr SP ammo. All under 100yds. Always use jacketed or semi jacketed ammo. Never lead.
Tomcatt

cruzerlou

Buckeye
My 1965 Deerstalker will group about 3" at 100 yards with a steel bodied weaver K-4 4x38 MM scope on it .I use winchester white box 240gr S.J.H.P./S.P.'s which ever I can get at wally world.A few years I shot a spike buck about 120 pounds at 75 yards and that .44 mag blew a 3" exit hole in him and sucked a lung out through the hole .I've killid deer out to 150 yards with it ,but thats pushing the .44 mag .This year even though my eyes ain't what they used to be the scopes comming off the rifle and I'm replacing it with a Williams reciver peep sight .The scope cost me a nice buck who was in real close,like at about 12-15 yards and all I could see was brown .The woods are real thick here so I;m better off with the peep sight.Sinse you asked I'm a big fan of dot sights too .I have them on my A.R. &A.K. patrol rifles and a 44 MM red/green dot sight on my 22" Mossberg M 500 w/a buck kicker choke tube that will put all 15 pellets from a 3" mag 00buck in to a 20" circle at 40 yards.
I guess what I'm saying is that Within 150 yards with 240 gr jackted bullets the deerstalker will do the job on deer & hogs no matter what type of sights you use .For dot sights I swear by the Tasco PDP3 ,5 M.O.A. dot sights ,Heres a pic of my rifle with this sight on it. .
Lou
LousPics020.jpg

rong

Bearcat
Deerfield in Deerfield, now that has to be be lucky.

Plaistow is all growed up now.The mass line is now
rte 111 and shortly will be rte 4.

I have a 2.5 fixed Simmons mounted on it and I
shooting 240 gr hornady JHP on top of 23.5 gr
of H110.

My rifle isn't labeled a Deerfield, just says Ruger
carbine and came with a factory inletted peep.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Good hunting.

Ron

Kyberz

Bearcat
Just for grins and giggles, since the shooting a Ruger .44 carbine is new to you, try doing a 5 round rapid fire (think Mini-14, AK-47). What Fun! It will function flawlessly, no surprise there, but hitting what your aiming at after the 2nd round? Well that is another matter. :lol:

cruzerlou

Buckeye
If I'm not mistaken the DEERFEILD was the second Ruger semi auto .44mag with the gerand type action like theM 1, mini -14 /M14 rifle .The early guns like mine were caller DEERSTALKER ,but Ithaca sued Ruger in the late 60's because Deerstalker sounded like DEERSLAYER the famous Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun,so after that the gun was just called the .44 Carbine until production ceased in 1986 due to lack of sales and cost of manufacturing .
A few years later Ruger came out with the DEERFEILD series of rifles and that only lasted a few years.They still had the lever gun and the 77/44 and production cost were much lower and again cut the semi auto from the line .I.M.H.O. the Deerfield was never the gun the Deerstalker /carbine was/is quality wise .
I wish Ruger would again pick up production of the Deerstalker ,I know there labor intensive and they would be expensive to build ,but I believe that there are folks that would buy one in a New York minute + it would get the parts flowing again .
I don't shoot mine much just for fear of parts breakage ,Just a few rounds every year to check zero and then only if I get a shot at a deer .

This gun is my favorite deer rifle .My county is shotgun only ,but you can shoot slugs here from the ground .About 5 years ago the board of supervisors had changed it to a rifle county ,but you had to be 10' off the ground to hunt with a rifle ,not so for a black powder or slug gun and both of those are still legal to hunt with from the ground ,now figure that one out for me .It was the lazy arsed truck hunters who didn't want rifles in the county .They drop their dogs and chase the deer around in there trucks ,scared they might have to work a little to kill a deer .So now were back to shot gun only ,slug or buck shot and they line the fire roads 50 -75 yards apart waiting for a deer to jump the road with the dogs on there tail .I guess they think buckshot won't hurt them at that range .That's why I quit hunting with the clubs around here .
If they line a road and the dogs jump up a deer and it isn't going towards the hunt line they make a mad scramble for their trucks and go cut the deer off .The hunt club I used to belong to did this .You went to your stand and then they put out the dogs .If the dogs did a 180 on you ,hard cheese you sat right there on your stand and you waited for 1 1/2 2 hours until the dog driver blew the all clear on the truck horn .That way you didn't have folks wandering around in the woods .Safety was never an issue that way .
The way these 'ol boys here do it is just an accident waiting to happen .So I just hunt a few private spots way up in my climbing stand .At least that way I'm 25' up off the ground so if some knot head shoots down through the bush they'll miss me + I can see them coming long before they see me .Hell I'd rather still hunt anyway and most times I use my side lock black powder anyway .You can hunt with your black powder all through fire arms season .
I do have a scoped in line B.P. and a slug gun ,but unless I'm hunting the edge of a field and have a chance at a shot over 100 yards I just use the side lock .If the dogs are out and running I'll break out my Mossberg ,it's a buckshot sniper rifle anyway .I've made clean one shot kills on deer at 75 yards with it with that buck kicker choke tube in it .Here's a pic of it .
Lou
LousPics074.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
cruzerlou I think you are right about everything except "the Deerfield was never the gun the Deerstalker /carbine was/is quality wise".

I think the Deerfield was much more robust and dependable. The problem was cost of production and market. They just didn't have big sales numbers after the 'cowboy' craze took off. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

cruzerlou

Buckeye
You may be right Jim , I've never had any expearence witht the Deerfeild,I'm just going by what a friend of mine who owns both a Deerstalker and a Deerfeild . He likes the Deerstalker better as he's had prolems with the Deerfeild .
Lou

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Like alot of Ruger products I think the design of the Deerfield and "functionability" is better than the old 44 carbine or Deerstalker, it's the outside that suffers a bit. Walnut and nice bluing on the old stuff, walnut stained hardwood and matte on the new.

federali

Bearcat
I have one of the early Ruger .44 carbines, right after they dropped the name "Deerstalker" because of a threatened law suit. Anyway, I've taken maybe a dozen bucks and does with it and the deer always went down if I did my part. For deep woods hunting, it's one of the best rifle/carbines ever offered.

I'm sure Bill Ruger was inspired by the vast popularity of the M-1 carbine, then being sold by the DCM for $20.00 a copy, in designing his carbine.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
My first deer rifle was/is a Ruger 44 carbine acquired new in about 1964. I killed my first and several other (10-15) deer with it. I used the then standard 240g fp or hp ammo and couldn't tell the difference. It worked well in the woods from up close to 100 yards or so which covered all my in the woods shots. I need to get it out and use it again for old times sake. TTT

Major T

Blackhawk
rong, back about '75 or so I bought one for an East Texas piney woods/swamp hunt. I mounted a weaver 3X in a Swing over mount and zeroed it at about an inch high @ 50 yards with factory 240 grain soft points. Wish I still had it, but one too many funerals and the invited hunt went away and so did the rifle. Personally I think you will like it. I got the idea from some north woods scribe at the time, who thought the rifle combined with a low power scope (I might even use a red dot today) was just about ideal for thick woods hunting. Plenty of power for deer and with a good hard bullet would likely take care of moose as well. Good luck, jack

tateb24

Bearcat
These .44 carbines are really hard to find, we got one in at my local shop, it didn't last but 3 days before someone bought it.