Ruger 327 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

57springer

Buckeye
How rare are these blackhawks ? There are two NIB 327s coming up for sale at a gun auction this week . I only see 2 listed at gunbroker, one at $2899 buy it now . Any one know how many were made ?

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
What was the centerfire caliber Single Sixes came in ? I saw one at a gunshow some years ago and passed on it, but told someone else there and they got all giddy, bought it and ran out the door laughing like a crazy person.

CHEVYINLINE6.

contender

Ruger Guru
To clear the confusion.
Ruger has made;
Single-Six, in .32 H&R Mag
Single-Seven, in .327 Mag.
Both of those are on the Single-Six sized frame.
Then they made the Buckeye Special, in 32-20 & 32 H&R mag on the Blackhawk frame.

And per the OP's questions & comments; Yes, there was a Blackhawk sized .327 Mag built. This is the one that the OP was asking about.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
And just to complete contender's listing, the 327 FM Blackhawks were mostly stainless eight shooters. I've seen mention of blued and "pinto" versions, but they are the rare ones… I've never even seen a picture of either one.
BTW, when did we start calling a production model made only a decade or so ago in numbers approaching 4000 "rare"? They are common enough to change hands pretty often, although with superlative type adjectives attached to enhance the price if not the actual value.
🐸

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I'm a little skeptical of the 3700 figure. I thought production was less than that. For some reason, I had it in my head that there were only about 400 made. I have had five over the years, kept the lowest SN gun and sold the others, All 5 were between 38-004xx and 38-023xx and that 38 Blackhawk prefix has other calibers mixed in. The cheapest one I sold went for $975 shipped in 2015 and I sold two for $1500 shipped (one in 2020 and one in 2021). The other went for $1225 shipped in 2020. All of those were stainless, but I too have also heard tell of a pinto version made up when they accidently made a few cylinders out of regular steel alloy, but have not seen one. I hadn't heard of any all-blue ones, you'd think if the cylinders were made by mistake, they wouldn't have any .32 cal barrels to use with them, but then there was a small batch of blue Single Sevens, so they might have used that barrel for a few blue Blackhawks.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have one of the "blued" Single-Sevens, and I HAVE seen one (only one) Blued 8-shot Blackhawk.
1682728732923.jpeg

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
This is a model that I seriously wish that I had purchased when they were available...For a while, I was hopeful that maybe, just possibly?...They would be reproduced & available once again...That's unfortunately HIGHLY unlikely at this point. And, while I certainly could afford the price that used examples are currently bringing...That's also NOT going to happen! Oh well...Live and learn. 😐

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Contender, you're probably thinking of a post by 32shooter from 2015. He had a picture of one with some sort of stag grips on it. A comment I made " I would give my eye teeth for one of those " is how I wound up with mine. My understanding is carbon steel was loaded to cut cylinders and 63 were cut before the mistake was discovered. Ruger, not being one to waste anything built those and released them to employees. Stoneeagle pm'd me asking what my eye teeth were worth. The rest is history. One now lives in my safe. My two sons argue over which one is getting the Pinto and who is getting the all stainless.

contender

Ruger Guru
You may well be correct about the older picture. I do believe it was 32shooter.

I'm happy to have my .327 Blackhawk,, but if I were to stumble upon a Pinto,, I'd be all over it like a hen on a june bug!

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm a little skeptical of the 3700 figure. I thought production was less than that. For some reason, I had it in my head that there were only about 400 made. I have had five over the years, kept the lowest SN gun and sold the others, All 5 were between 38-004xx and 38-023xx and that 38 Blackhawk prefix has other calibers mixed in. The cheapest one I sold went for $975 shipped in 2015 and I sold two for $1500 shipped (one in 2020 and one in 2021). The other went for $1225 shipped in 2020. All of those were stainless, but I too have also heard tell of a pinto version made up when they accidently made a few cylinders out of regular steel alloy, but have not seen one. I hadn't heard of any all-blue ones, you'd think if the cylinders were made by mistake, they wouldn't have any .32 cal barrels to use with them, but then there was a small batch of blue Single Sevens, so they might have used that barrel for a few blue Blackhawks.

Looks like the earliest all stainless .327 Blackhawk model 0353 is 38-00096.
Chet15

57springer

Buckeye
I was successful at the auction yesterday , the 2 guns were listed as consecutive serial numbers , which they were not . I won the bid on the first gun and the auctioneer offered me both saying it was a chance to keep them as a set . Now I am wishing now I would have taken him up on it . All in all I am happy to get one , I guess the old saying " hind sight is 20/20 " applies. ;)