Ruger 3-screw single six question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
looking for some info from the forum , maybe someone will have some ideas
Seen an add in the local classifieds that read - Ruger old model ( flatgate ) single six that was for sale - Went and looked at it , and the young fella handed it to me .This was an unconverted old model. so far so good , Then this- I was going to check cylinder to make sure it wasn't loaded , pulled hammer back to go to half -cock , no half cock , not even a click . It did seem to have a click at about 1/8th inch (safety click ) but hammer would fall to complete forward position after that . Hammer would hold full cock , just seemed like like cocking a new model s.s. - the only way I could spin cylinder is to hold hammer at half cock . the screws didn't seem like they were ever touched or boogered up . I thanked him and said I would do some checking on what might be the issue .
Is this something that might just be worn on the Hammer / Sear assembly ?
Maybe broken parts inside ?
I'm not knowledgable enough to know whether to go ahead and purchase it and take it to a smith and have it fixed or just pass . He was asking 400.00 o.b.o
Any ideas would be a great help , I hate to pass up a good Ruger if it's a simple fix
Thanks in advance , Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
From what you described, it's possible it has a broken notch on the hammer. If it is a Flatgate, then it's still collectable, but I'd offer a lot less not knowing all that was wrong with it.

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
Just seemed odd to me , my old model single sixes seem so bulletproof as far as lock work goes - maybe it has seen some abuse that doesn't show cosmetically. thanks for the reply

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IMNHO, with a broken half-cock notch like that it is worth maybe $250. IT goes down from there with other nasties showing up. The hammer's Half-cock notch can be fixed but that requires excellent welding skills and You'll pay for those.

G2

Hunter
If the gun looks good on the outside, bore Is good, and it's something you want, I would Make an offer. (you mention OBO)
Even if the half cock knotch is broke off you should still be able to feel it.
My thinking, the notch leg was broken off and then bubba the kitchen table gunsmith thought he better smooth it out. :roll:
I have also seen these things so gunked up with crud that it can act like what you speak.
With all that said, a hammer is $50-75, trigger 25. Your time free, your education to fix the old gal priceless. Worst case scenario,,, IF you need all the internals they can be had for $125 tops.

IMO, Old model Ruger lockwork bulletproof, nahhhh,,,, the safety & half cock notch can be broken easy if miss-handled.

Keep us posted if you move forward.

sounds to me like this gun sat for a LONG time and possibly the innards, ( springs, plungers, etc, got all "locked into place" by the hardening of what ever lube was in there at one time), OR < rusted in place !!!!
have had many of these over the years come in the shop or to a gun show, and we simply "soaked" it over night in kerosene, flushed things out, lube the crap out of it, blow it all off, wipe 'er down , and MOST of the times, they were good to go....otherwise, it took a simple "take down" inspect ,clean and lube......pick your poison.....used to get a BAD "kick" out of seeing socalled gunsmiths (businessmen??) take something like this, soak it, WAIT two weeks, and call the customer as to all that is "wrong" with their gun........BS and MILK the customer, sad to say............. :(
as the old timers used to tell us in 'training' , " it is incumbant for you to find something wrong,, so you can charge the customer....." wow :roll:
I believe in honesty and the KISS principle............ :wink:

but back to your initial question, you can always say that "NOT KNOWING" just what is wrong, may cost $$$$ to fix, ,,,,make them an offer...............bottom line ANY OM flatgate in decent shape is worth OVER $300 just for all the "original" parts,,,,,,,,( a sum of the total of the parts) 8)