Ruger 1b accuracy problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a 1b in .270 win. and have problems since day one (3-years).
I know they are not known to be accurate and that is not my heartache.
My problem is brass not chambering easy or the easy chambered ones are a problem once fired. I am reloading and understand that it could be many things.
I am seating the bullets out .005
Everything is sized to correct standards, no sign of excessive pressure with the case or primer. After I shoot I check the fired brass and still its within specs.
I am puzzled since I load for eight other guns and never had a problem.
What am I missing/
David :(

Hello and welcome to the forum.

"I know they are not known to be accurate and that is not my heartache".

Well, at least your not disappointed with accuracy. 8)

I have two B models, (223 & 308) and both will deliver at least an inch at 100 yards.

So, sometimes it is difficult to load the rifle due the round not sliding into the chamber as intended.

The only time that I have had this problem is when my reloads are not to spec. When I load my No.1's I tilt the muzzle down and the round slides right into the chamber without any assistance.

You have problems with some rounds that do go into the chamber easy. What is that problem?

Do you have a difficult time ejecting the spent rounds?

I have had this problem a few times with my .223 when it starts to become dirty. A good cleaning normally corrects this. I also find that when I operate the lever briskly, I get best results.

How does your rifle perform with factory ammunition?

Bill

I clean the bore after a five round group. And shoot no more then 4 min. each round. Muzzle is down and I have twisted the case prior to full seating in the chamber.
For some reason a few cases really get hung up in the wall of the chamber. I had the ejector checked and it is fine. All brass is formed in the same batch. I can only think my bullet seating depth is to tight to the lands creating excessive pressure. I also think it might be a head space problem. Factory ammo is fine but the accuracy is really poor. I know they are not the best out of the box so I am trying to gain ground on my hand loads.
I am seating the bullets @ 2.928 an shooting Horn 150 SST. Im sure the out off the lands far enough.
Thanks

picketpin

Buckeye
Either you have an issue with the chamber not being perfectly round and the brass is expanding into the "wall" of the chamber. Mike you formed brass, especially just ahead of the case web versus fired brass. Also check to see if it's out of round once fired. You can seldom tell by looking.

Are you seated against the lands? You say your seating it out .005. Do you mean .005 OFF the lands or something else. Have you switched bullets and retained the same over all loaded length? As the ogive changes from manufacture to manufacturer and even with the same manufacture it often results in the bullet actually engraving against the lands which will jump pressures.

You yo made up a dummy for your reloading box? Use and empty and sized case and seat your bullet of choice and place it in the rifle. Blacken it with a felt marker or soot and seat it to touch the lands. Thus is easy with a #1. When you have established your base line case/ammo with that bullet then seat it .0035 shorter and you will now be .0035 of the lands. Alternatively look at your reloading manual and load a batch to the SAAMI OALL specified and it should work through your rifle regardless of bullet.

If it still sticks I'd REALLY looked to your fired case and new/sized case. Something is causing either pressure or brass flow.

The .270 is and was designed as a high pressure round and I would make sure you are off the lands at least ..0035.

I bought a Browning 78 a few years ago that had been wildcatted from 30-06 to 30-338. I paid a whopping $550 for it and the 3.5-10 Leupold III.because according tothe owner fired cases ALWAY stuck.

I worked up a SAAMI load and sure enough they stuck. The chamber was .00109 out of round just in front of the web. The smith was able to buff out the chamber and it now works perfectly.

I'd bet on the loading and seating depth but every manufacturer chambers a rifle a littleoff from time to time. If that's the issue I'd call Ruger and let then handle it

If the issue does NOT exist with factory ammo? Then it's your reloading/loading technique or specs.

Ross

captbaggywrinkles said:
I clean the bore after a five round group. And shoot no more then 4 min. each round. Muzzle is down and I have twisted the case prior to full seating in the chamber.
For some reason a few cases really get hung up in the wall of the chamber. I had the ejector checked and it is fine. All brass is formed in the same batch. I can only think my bullet seating depth is to tight to the lands creating excessive pressure. I also think it might be a head space problem. Factory ammo is fine but the accuracy is really poor. I know they are not the best out of the box so I am trying to gain ground on my hand loads.
I am seating the bullets @ 2.928 an shooting Horn 150 SST. Im sure the out off the lands far enough.
Thanks

Hornady 7th edition load manual data states seating depth for the 150 grain SST is 3.210. :?:

Rick Taylor

Bearcat
If factory ammo works well then the problem is your handloads. You didn't say what powder you were using or how much of it or what primer you are using. I suspect that you need to seat the bullets deeper in the case. Also just be aware that case and primer appearance are not reliable indicators of pressure. another thing to check is case length which can elevate pressure if too long. Good luck!

picketpin

Buckeye
Wrinkle: At what length is the bullet jammed tight against the lands? I don't have a manual here at the desk BUT stating a seating depth for the Hornady is betting that your chamber is dead on for SAAMI. That may or may not be true. PLUS even if the chamber is cut correctly it's possible that the chamber is short throated and your tight on the lands.

If the load is at or near max and your tight against the lands you could be jumping pressure.

That would be my first guess. I think the consensus is that if factory ammo works fine then it's you hand loads and MY first inclination would be seating depth.

Ross

Rabon

Single-Sixer
On occasion I have run into guns with very tight chamber tolerance I have a Model 70 which will not chamber unless the neck is trimmed a bit shorter than called for. Unless you load for another 270 without problem check the dies.

I just full length sized some brass and trimmed cases to to shortest trim length. The cases load easy and only need a light push to get them seated in chamber. I measured the COA length when hitting the lands. I have been seating the bullet .006 off the rifling in the past. Does anyone have advise for distance from bullet to the rifling for this .270 (jump)?

Rick Taylor

Bearcat
If you ever plan to hunt with it then I would seat them around .015 or so from the rifling. The distance from the rifling will only make a very slight difference if at all in accuracy. Reliability is much more important!! An example of this is weatherby magnums which have always shot accurately with a substantial freebore.

softpoint

Bearcat
I owned a Remington sendero 7mm magnum years ago that had a chamber so out of round that brass once fired in that rifle could not be reloaded. The reloading sizer die would swage a small secondary belt on the case on one side and that case would not chamber in any rifle after that. While this was a belted magnum,this could happen with a non belted case as well. It was clearly a factory defect, however the rifle shot really well, and I sold it to a friend who didn't reload and he has been happy with it. My guess is that the reamer was allowed to "wobble" when chambering the barrel.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Rick Taylor said:
If you ever plan to hunt with it then I would seat them around .015 or so from the rifling. The distance from the rifling will only make a very slight difference if at all in accuracy. Reliability is much more important!! An example of this is weatherby magnums which have always shot accurately with a substantial freebore.
As Rick said .015 and I usually start at .020. To improve accuracy I usually add a pressure screw to the forend hanger as suggested by Ross Seifried in a old G&A article. Anyone have a copy or link to that article?