rubber SBH hunter/bisley grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1canvas

Bearcat
rubber SBH hunter/bisley grip, does anyone make one. i love this gun but no matter how i grip it the trigger guard bangs my middle finger hard. the old SBH did it and i sold them but i thought the bisley grip and round trigger guard would fix it. lets not talk about ''let the gun roll'' i have tried that and it makes it worse. this is a hunting revolver shooting factory loads. i even have a leupold 2x scope on it, which helps a little.
i am thinking maybe magna port. i hate to add to the blast but if porting would help it i would. any thoughts?

G2

Hunter
If you want Rubber Buggy Baby Bumpers on it, I would suggest changing out the Grip Frame to a Super Blackhawk Square back Dragoon and then slap the Pachmayr's or Hogue's on it.

They only make the RBBB to fit the square back. I have seen them installed on a Hunter GF and they don't look bad, just not correct.

You won't have a hard time selling the Stainless Bisley GF, hammer, trigger to help fund the project.

Another mod I have seen is to re-grind the area where your finger/ nuckle is getting bit, also smooth out/ relief the edge where it bite's, it's probably the sharp/crisp edge that is getting you.

I did this to my 5.5 .41 Bisley and it took the problem area away.

Good Luck

1canvas

Bearcat
i tried a grip frame from someone on this forum last year but could not get it to fit. i didn't want to grind on his frame so i sent it back. the thing that keeps me from the magna port is my scope is so close to the end i worry the blast will damage the lens.
i think i might sell this and buy a super redhawk.

G2

Hunter
Why/ What didn't fit?

Mag-na-port really won't help all that much.

Try 44 Specials, and/or down load the 44 mag.

How much do you want for the scope? :D

I have your same gun chambered in 45 colt and it's a dream to shoot. Even the 300gr 1400fps stuff. 45 Colt just doesn't have all that dern recoil. Good luck finding one.

1canvas

Bearcat
i can't remember what the problem was on the fitting. my frame would go off and on but the other frame wouldn't, i didn't want to force it.
i down loaded some 240s to 1300fps and that doesn't bang my finger, i might just stick to that for practice for now and maybe get a SRH later.
the last gun show i was at i picked up a SRH and thought thats what i should have bought.
my old eyes needs the scope so i will be hanging on to that.

s4s4u

Hunter
love this gun but no matter how i grip it the trigger guard bangs my middle finger hard

I think you just need a stronger hand, try squeezing a ball with your shooting hand until you can hold on to that gun. Bisleys are not meant to "roll", you gotta firm up on the grip, that's all ;-)

You don't want to crowd the top of the handle with your hand, I like to hold a little low, just so my pinky makes it on the bottom of the handle. I've never had a problem with banging my birdie on a Bisley, and I have a few.

G2

Hunter
1canvas":2oi5gjci said:
i down loaded some 240s to 1300fps

:shock: :shock:

ohhh I was thinkin more around 8.5-9 gr unique for around 1000fps, one can shoot those all day.

1canvas

Bearcat
s4s4u":2aarcp9i said:
love this gun but no matter how i grip it the trigger guard bangs my middle finger hard

I think you just need a stronger hand, try squeezing a ball with your shooting hand until you can hold on to that gun. Bisleys are not meant to "roll", you gotta firm up on the grip, that's all.

You don't want to crowd the top of the handle with your hand, I like to hold a little low, just so my pinky makes it on the bottom of the handle. I've never had a problem with banging my birdie on a Bisley, and I have a few.

stronger hand isn't a problem, iv'e been a weight lifter for over 30 years. it seems like the smooth grips just slide in my hand just a bit. when i hold the gun [not choking up high on the grip] the big joint on my middle is almost touching the back of the guard. i will try holding lower as you described though.

1canvas

Bearcat
G2":wxategm8 said:
1canvas":wxategm8 said:

ohhh I was thinkin more around 8.5-9 gr unique for around 1000fps, one can shoot those all day.
this being a hunting handgun i want to practice with something close to my hunting loads.
maybe my hands are not meant for SA handguns. i mostly hunted with S&W 29s but started using SA cause the S&W would loosen up on me. this blackhawk is like a bank vault, and this bisley hunter is one fine gun.
the bullet i want to start using for hunting is the barnes copper. that way i don't have to rely on velocity so much. i have seen what these things do out of my muzzle loader on deer at not too high of velocity.
thanks everyone for the help, i'll keep trying to make this work.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
1canvas":32budhu1 said:
G2":32budhu1 said:
1canvas":32budhu1 said:

this being a hunting handgun i want to practice with something close to my hunting loads.
maybe my hands are not meant for SA handguns. i mostly hunted with S&W 29s but started using SA cause the S&W would loosen up on me. this blackhawk is like a bank vault, and this bisley hunter is one fine gun.
the bullet i want to start using for hunting is the barnes copper. that way i don't have to rely on velocity so much. i have seen what these things do out of my muzzle loader on deer at not too high of velocity.
thanks everyone for the help, i'll keep trying to make this work.
They are your hands and tendons! I am not going to abuse mine shooting full bore 44's or 45 ruger only loads all day! I don't even shoot full bore unless I'm gonna be hunting bears far north of Missouri. A leather glove will do more to help you than changing grips or grip frame.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Contact this guy for some custom grips with a filler. [email protected]

bisleyGrips_01.jpg

don44

Hunter
You could try shooting gloves meant for handgun shooting. I use them myself and they help a lot.

1canvas

Bearcat
s4s4u":2ymw17lw said:

I think you just need a stronger hand, try squeezing a ball with your shooting hand until you can hold on to that gun. Bisleys are not meant to "roll", you gotta firm up on the grip, that's all ;-)

well i just got back from the range with no knuckle pain. i put my hand lower like you said, with the pinky just on the grip. with both my target and hunting loads i had no problem. i always gripped on my guns high so i'll have to get used to this.
just about ready to sell it till today until this last shooting sesion.
thanks for the info, you really helped me out.

junebug 1

Bearcat
I have the same problem you have .people suggest hanging your little finger under the grip frame ,Iwant all my fingers on the grip.The best solution I have found is a filler behind the guard.Neither pachmayr or hogue make grips for a bisley.The eagle grip co makes a grip with a filler for the bisley ,or go custom.I made my own and they sure stopped the bite.The eagle grips are about $60.00.That's why I made my own.I know we cant be the only people with this problem,maybe if enough people call pachmayr and hogue they will get the message. :p :p

flatgate

Hawkeye
I wear a shooting glove and grip with both hands. My "off hand" squeezes the last three fingers of my "strong" hand which prevents them from contacting the trigger guard.

This hold works for me when shooting friends .475's and .500's as well as my .454 and .45's and .44's.

flatgate