Reusing original grip medallions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
Has anyone had any experience reusing the original medallions in new custom grips? I am in the process of having a custom set of Walnut grips made for an old flattop and would really like to have a medallion in them that isn't the new "R" medallions.

Thanks,
Troy

powder smoke said:
No they are Crimped in have a good look you'll see. ps
Never had a problem removing them. Place the original on a folded towel and, using a drill bit (solid end) just a bit smaller size as the emblem press steadily on them. They will come out. All of these shown were removed from OEM grips and reinstalled as seen.

1BCClKlh.jpg

DY2eSd1h.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
To answer the OP question,, yes,, it's done quite often.
And as described above,, they can be pressed out of an old set of grips,, or, if you get a broken set,, just use pliers to break the wood away from the medallions.
Once removed,, you will see how the medallion stud was staked & flared at the end to hold it in the original grips.
I have removed the flared portion by gentle filing around the circumference of the stud, JUST to remove the flared portion.
In the new grips,, drill the hole to the proper size,, and it will allow a snug fit of the stud. I also use a small drop or two of wood glue to the medallion before final inserting.
Many folks use a Forster Bit to cut the recess for a medallion,, but I bought a special bit, better than that, advised by Cary C (one of the best custom grip makers I've ever seen, and a member here.) I'd have to look it up to give you the info on it needed.
A proper recess,, and a correct stud hole,, and a small dab of glue & you are good to go!

you can simply use a pair of "smooth" jawed pliers and squeeze the crimped material back in place, after you push out the medallions....they can then be reused, restaked and no need for glue,,,,,,learned that from the old timer grip guys out west and north west,,,,,years ago....... :roll: 8) :wink:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Not sure if he's willing to ID his source, but when I was corresponding with Chad from Chigg's Grips, he had a source for "SR" medallions, as I was up in the air about those or .357mag case heads. I went with the case heads.

That reminds me...I *still* need to put my Blackhawk back together with the new grips!

Aqualung