Removing buttplate on tupperware stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gutthans

Bearcat
Can the buttplate on the synthetic 10/22 stock be removed without damaging the stock :?: It appears to be snapped into place, but if I attempt the wrong leverage point it will deform the plastic :evil:

gutthans

Bearcat
OK, I have my own answer...The buttstock has a ridge (similar to the receiver and trigger guard ridges) about 5/8" inside the stock. The buttplate is not flat, but a cup shape and the bottom edges are glued to the ridge. The gluing is poor and not continuous, but because of the cup you cannot slip anything under the plate. You have to slowly work a flat blade down to and along the ridge to force the glue to give way. Working is easiest along the uppermost 1/3 of the stock as the 'ears' at the very top are the thinnest portion. Once you have some separation at the sides you can gradually separate the top seam area. There is little depth into the stock there as the cup wall is shortest and indented. By placing a screwdriver blade into the recess, the top can be popped up and outward breaking the rest of the glue bonds :D