Remington 22 rimfire ammo defective?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fallujah

Bearcat
I assume that this poor 22lr quality also applies to Remington "CYCLONE" and "GAME LOADS"?

FunkyD

Bearcat
I get occasional duds, but run T-bolts through everything without too much trouble.

The Federal Bulk is a better round for the money, IMO.

edlmann

Blackhawk
fallujah":3ixyhg7f said:
Yesterday I got to fire several boxes of Remington 22 lr Thunderbolt from my MK III. My pistol nearly jammed every other round, failed to extract the shell, or simply did not fire the chambered round.
I did notice that the Remington rimfires were not consistent in the diameter of their shell casings, some being larger and fatter while others were slimmer. I tried to manually insert the rounds one by one into the chamber and some went in smoothly while others could not even fit into the chamber half way. Others I had to hold open the bolt and pry out the spent shell from the chamber with pliers.
When I got home I did some quick search on Google and I noticed that EVERYBODY is complaining about Remington rimfire ammo, particularly Thunderbolt, being unreliable and dirty.
Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

The good Remington is just fine.

The cheap Remington is !@#$. I started hating it back in the days when "Mohawk" brand was sold in brown boxes.

pix946961359.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just reviewed my shooting logs.

In 2007, 2008, and 2009 I shot a total of 20,500 Remington Golden Bullets, all purchased at Walmart. 20,050 of these were shot through semiautomatics (the other 450 went through bolt action rifles), but another 550 were shot by some of my friends in one of my semis; these are not on my personal shooting log. (In other words, my semiautos have fired 20,600 GBs.)

I had one bad lot in 2008 that had a wide range of power levels; I burned those off in a 10/22 that worked fine with them. Didn't buy any more of that lot number.

Of "normal" lots of Rem GBs, I've come to expect a dud rate of between one and two percent, with most lots being closer to one than two. Rem GB duds normally have no primer in them at all, and it's a waste of time to try re-firing them.

Chris

Blackhawk
Personally I never encountered a problem with the thunderbolt Until yesterday, prior to that winchester bulk hollow-point used to encounter the same problem you are experiencing with my Mark III hunter.

In any event went to the range with my buddies with his brand new Smith and Wesson mp22 (smiths version of the ar 22lr style). He had 6, 30 round mags. Each mag was loaded with 25 rounds and there was NOT 1 mag that fired without a problem.

First off the ammo was extremely dirty, dirtier than normal... I got to 6 shots, then a misfire ;primer struck crisply. Cleared the chamber fired 3 more rounds same thing happened. Change mags same thing occurred over and over. Some rounds where over charged some sprayed what I only can describe as still lit powder as the action cycled and ejected the spent round. Maybe it's a bad lot number, he was going to call and complain, but got sidetrack with other stuff. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything more.

Coop

Blackhawk
Remington .22 LR Thunderbolts have NEVER functioned regularly in either of my two MK II semi-automatic pistols. They are, IMO, a garbage cartridge mostly useful for single shot .22 LR rifles.

Nonetheless, I would NEVER shoot them thru my Kimber Model 82 Target Rifle.

They are pure JUNK.

Coop

single action

Single-Sixer
:? I have never had any luck with remington rimfires. Misfires, jams just plain crap........... I have never had problems with Winchester, Federal or CCI. I strongly recommend using other .22. SA

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just leave the Golden Bullets on the shelf for me. I'll be needing another 7,000 of them next year, too....

meanc

Single-Sixer
There has always been a lot of documented problems with Remington Golden bullets.

I've actually experienced very few over the 12 or so boxes I've shot thru.
Probably 10-15 duds, and just a few more of the underpowered ones. But even the underpowered ones struck the target within 1".

Definitely not enough for me to complain about them, especially considering how little they cost and how accurate they are out of all my Ruger semi autos

On Rimfirecentral, there is a thread with a Remington rep stating that they should have gotten the quality issues with the Goldens worked out

He even gives the lot numbers for the first of the newly manufactured ones rolling out and to report any future problems with the lot numbers found on the box.

But like Snake said, feel free to leave them on the shelf for me, too.

CraigC

Hawkeye
My experiences mirror those of Snake45. While I have not kept such good records on how many have gone through each gun, I have used a bunch of them. I think my Kimber/Ciener is running around 9000-10,000, most of those early last year, without a cleaning. This year, because of the ammo shortage, probably 6000-8000rds through my OMSS, USFA 12/22 and S&W K-22. Plus a few 550 packs through my 10/22 and various boltguns. I agree, leave them on the shelf for the rest of us. :D