Reloading the Ruger 77RS 7 X 64 Brenneke.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Agunslinger

Bearcat
I'm debating whether this rifle would do better with some hot faster bullets like the 139 grain Hornady SST or heavier 160-162 grain SST or Sierra HPBT.
Anyone have experience with this load or rifle?

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I have experience not with the rifle but the round. Years ago I picked up a "European guild shop" Mauser 98 in 7x64 Brenneke. Likely the most accurate "big bore" centerfire I own. It loves the Sierra 160 gr. Sptz. Boat Tail Gameking and IMR 4350. Great cartridge. Europe's 280 Remington...

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought one of the "overrun" guns via Elliott Bros Distributors many years ago in 7x64. I never fired it due to the fact it was a rarity here in the USA. Sold it to a collector. Never fired it or loaded for it.

First suggestion: determine the rifling twist rate.
During a Wyoming hunting trip, I was presented a question by the outfitter about a rifle one of his hunters had left there due to inability to find proper ammo. If memory serves, it was a foreign made 7x64 and some gunshop wizard had sold the guy 280 Rem ammo which of course wasn't correct. The rifle looked nice but w/o ammo was only a decorative item.
I did a quick check of twist rate and found it had something like 1-7 or 1-8 which is pretty fast. This relates to heavy bullets and low velocities. I'm just guessing whatever ammo the rifle was intended to shoot fit both these.
European hunters seem to like heavy/slow bullets and getting relatively close before shooting.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
I've had about a dozen 7x64 rifles over the years, including a couple Rugers. European rifles like heavy bullets, 160-175gr. 4350 and 4064 powders.

For practice, 100gr bullets over 20 grains of 4759.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Hunting in Europe is somewhat different. When I was in Germany you had to attend classes, learn to identify animals by age, demonstrate shooting ability and have a guide or be invited by a hunting club. Also the animal you shot was the property of the landowner, you got the horns and sometimes the heart. If you wanted more you bought it. Game was sold in butcher shops that purchased it from the landowner. Ranges were normally 200 meters or less, and you normally hunted from a blind unless it was a drive hunt. Under those conditions and at 200 meters or less high velocity was not needed.

Agunslinger

Bearcat
Just makes me happier to live in the USA.
I'm educated and safe in my hunting/harvesting practices… just really want to hear if anyone has experience with this particular rifle, caliber, and loads… but thank you for giving me more reason to appreciate our freedoms here!😁

Agunslinger

Bearcat
First suggestion: determine the rifling twist rate.
During a Wyoming hunting trip, I was presented a question by the outfitter about a rifle one of his hunters had left there due to inability to find proper ammo. If memory serves, it was a foreign made 7x64 and some gunshop wizard had sold the guy 280 Rem ammo which of course wasn't correct. The rifle looked nice but w/o ammo was only a decorative item.
I did a quick check of twist rate and found it had something like 1-7 or 1-8 which is pretty fast. This relates to heavy bullets and low velocities. I'm just guessing whatever ammo the rifle was intended to shoot fit both these.
European hunters seem to like heavy/slow bullets and getting relatively close before shooting.
Thank you!

Agunslinger

Bearcat
I've had about a dozen 7x64 rifles over the years, including a couple Rugers. European rifles like heavy bullets, 160-175gr. 4350 and 4064 powders.

For practice, 100gr bullets over 20 grains of 4759.
Thank you for this experienced response! 👍

Agunslinger

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought one of the "overrun" guns via Elliott Bros Distributors many years ago in 7x64. I never fired it due to the fact it was a rarity here in the USA. Sold it to a collector. Never fired it or loaded for it.
Thank you for your response and I understand completely but unfortunately, that doesn't give me any information.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good morning Agunslinger,
Yes,, it was not any help in answering your question.

I posted more to let you & others know that that gun is often considered collectable,, and desirable to collectors who want a complete collection. Many people fail to realize this when they get a gun, and use it without knowledge. To a collector,, NIB is much more valuable than a used & worn gun.
My post was aimed more at adding something for future folks who do a "Search" about one of those guns/caliber.

My SINCEREST apologies if I upset you or anything.

Agunslinger

Bearcat
Not at all, I'm no snowflake… lol
I agree with you that it's very desirable for collectors! This is the second one of 252 to fall into my hands here and I too let the first one go NIB to a collector friend. I later regretted that so I'm seriously wanting to keep and use this one (that has been fired).
Please excuse my exuberance if I offended you.
We Ruger enthusiasts must stand together!
Good morning Agunslinger,
Yes,, it was not any help in answering your question.

I posted more to let you & others know that that gun is often considered collectable,, and desirable to collectors who want a complete collection. Many people fail to realize this when they get a gun, and use it without knowledge. To a collector,, NIB is much more valuable than a used & worn gun.
My post was aimed more at adding something for future folks who do a "Search" about one of those guns/caliber.

My SINCEREST apologies if I upset you or anything.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm glad you weren't offended. With you being a new guy here,, I was afraid I might have done that.
Often,, certain very desirable & collectable guns get put out there,, & many miss the uniqueness of them. OR,, they get used & abused by those who do not know what they have.

The one I had,, came about because I was at a good friends gun shop, and he asked me about the caliber & if I'd ever heard of it. I had heard of the caliber,, and knew a little. But when I saw what it was & all, I had him order me one,, on the chance it wasn't a normal production item.
I got home, wrote Chad at RENE a letter, and by the time Chad had replied,, I already had the gun in hand. European contract, not an American cataloged item, and what they had was the "overrun" production to sell.
I was glad to have scored one.
Later,, another collector was seriously needing one for his collection, and I allowed it to move to his family! :D